Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mouseon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
I've owned Macs since about 2007. At first it was Macbooks, but lately I have gone the desktop route and have had iMacs and a Mac Mini. With the little time I have, I haven't kept up to date with what's been happening with MacBooks. So I have no idea what the lineup has done for the last 5+ years.

I need to buy a laptop for my parents for basic browsing, email, spreadsheets, etc.

I'm considering the July 2019 MacBook Air but I'm also open to something cheaper that will do the job in the 2nd hand market.

I remember reading in passing over the last few years that there have been problems with MacBooks (keyboards failing, display issues, logic board issues, etc). I have no idea which models were affected so I don't know what to buy and what to avoid if I get something 2nd hand.

So I'm hoping you guys will be able to recommend something. No need for bells and whistles. Just something basic and reliable and hopefully more affordable than a brand new Air.

THANKS!!!!

tweeter

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Look for new older Airs on Ebay or Amazon. They have lots of them, the good deals come and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.