Another convert...matte won

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ranchdip, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Ranchdip macrumors member

OK, I've always been into the "pop" when it comes to picture quality. I'm a recording producer and engineer who loves bass and treble apposed to listening to music flat as well! So with that being said, I ordered my new 17" hi-res GLOSSY MBP the day it came out. Ships Mar 18th..... Well, I decided to take ONE MORE look at the differences between the glossy and matte and after much deliberation have decided to change my order and go with the matte screen . (I used the 15" LED glossy vs matte for the test at the Apple store) After going back and forth for 30mins with different videos, pics, apps, it was clear to me that matte would serve me better.

Here's what I found:

1. The matte images are more realistic (Like I could reach out and touch it)
    2. The glossy reflections, although not bad, were a little distracting in the store and would probably bother me over time working hours at the studio.
    3. The glossy had more vibrant, deeper, richer colors, but to me were unrealistic. I loved the "pop" the glossy gave to the colors but in the end I preferred the more realistic image. What sold it for me was a high-quality photo on both MBP's. When compared the girl's face seemed unrealistic and ever so slightly saturated on the glossy. I much preferred the pic of the girls face on the matte.
    4. Believe it or not I actually like the videos better on the matte as well. If I were to watch a movie on the glossy at a greater distance than typical I would probably love it. (like a good HDTV)
    5. Glossy colors seemed to be ever so slightly saturated. I actually found myself leaning towards the matte for razor sharp images. (I actually like seeing the pixels!) The glossy kind of washes the pixels down a little IMO.

Well that's my take on the glossy vs matte debate. I actually went to the back of the order line when I changed my order. It was a tough decision but I think I'll be happier with the matte in the long run.

This isn't to discourage anyone who bought the glossy or sway your opinion. Go out and see them at the store. The decision was tough for me. They both look awesome. Either way everyone should be very happy with their choices. Even if I would have gotten the glossy I wouldn't have any regrets as I would enjoy the brightness and rich colors! YMMV

2. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

i am very happy with my matte screen sofar. Congrats on the new purchase.:D

3. bamf macrumors 6502

I love the matte screen on mine too. It really is a personal preference thing, so you made the right decision... ;)

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

As a recording engineer myself, I went for the matte also!

The last thing I need during a project is to be distracted by some bright light behind me.

5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

My matte screen is working out really great for me. I don't have any problems with it. When I crank the brightness the whole way up I can't even look at the screen, it's blinding.

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I like my glossy screen, but I also don't do any of the studio work that you're doing so maybe that has something to do with it. :)

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

c'mon now...
    the glossy owners will be posting another thread...
    " are you really REALLY happy with your Glossy Screen.. be honest"
    :D:D

chose a matte as well..
    decision wasn't hard for me.
    glossy will WOW you in the first few minutes..then what? the reflection? the thumbprints? the horror!

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This is such a subjective thing...

I think matte is the way to go also - much more realistic.

But then I think about how many people have the brightness cranked on their TV's "because it looks better", or the treble and bass cranked up on their stereo "because it sounds better".

I think there are alot of people who think brighter is better, even though it is not realistic, and thus go for the glossy screen. Same way the appliance stores turn up the brightness on the TV's in the store, to make them look "better" then the others...

In the end, it is all a matter of personal choice...

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Glossy or Matte screen?

it's a MATTER
    of choice!
    :D

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't know how obvious that is which one to choose..
    it's staring you in the face:eek:

11. maccurve macrumors newbie

I have also ordered a mac book pro from the clearance, had no choice of selecting Glossy only matte was available, I still bought and today checked at the apple store and I was happy about my decision.

First the Glossy was eye grabber, after sometime I felt matte was better.

My laptop is coming tomm, very much excited to use.:D

My friends suggested to wait till june for the next update, but I was tired of waiting.

Tomm I will be posting from my first Mac:)

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Congratulations on your new computer! Don't worry about the next upgrade. I'm sure your new computer will be great!

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't know if i'll start a thread about waiting for june..
    but have you seen steve jobs presentation for the iphone SDK?
    if not,since it's more than an hour..

You'll definitely FEEL that the concentration NOW is on the iphone and ipod touch since they're bringing in more money than the MBP.
    so wait of you want.. for june.. but i don't think it will be as DRAMATIC as everyone is expecting..
    more likely another BUMP just like this month

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that you hit the nail on the head.

Initially, the glossy screens wow you.

Prefer matte screens.

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

oh my GOD!
    a demi-GOD qouted me!
    my work is done!:D

Arigato!

i hope i spelled that right

16. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Personally, I love my glossy screen. Never had an issue with reflections even outside in sunny weather. With the LED backlighting the screen is so bright that the reflections aren't as apparent. It's really a matter of preference but I believe that glossy is the better choice.

17. alleyslair macrumors newbie

Switched to Matte

Since reading a post about the LED closing the gap between glossy & matte, I've been resisting changing my order. I don't have an Apple store so could not compare myself. Since I prefer matte photos and adjust tv to lowest RGB levels I figure I'm aligned w/ the matte group. Switched my order to matte. Thanks for everyone's input. Yay -- it's gonna ship earlier, too! :D

PS.
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Res WS
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

congratulations on your new purchase!

19. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Initially I was torn between matte and glossy until my boyfriend got an iMac with a glossy 20" display. Let me tell you the color is bright and vibrant but the glare and fingerprints are terrible.

A laptop is designed to be portable and can be used outdoors. The matte screen will give you the best picture without the eye strain, IMHO.

Congratulations on your new computer!:D

20. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

if i have my wAy,
    i'll introduce the MATTE screen to the majority of PC users.
    most PC laptops have glossy screens

21. 2bcool2 macrumors regular

im a record producer too, i had powerbook matt screen, was ok..
    i bought a macbook ..no matt option...

now i ordered mbp, i have the option...
    which did i choose?

GLOSSY !

i'll tell u why

in the summer i programme logic pro outside in the garden, man its sooo cool to be in fresh air, lying on the grass..writing pop hits.

with the matte screen i couldnt see a thing in sunshine, the glossy is very clear, and im able to work fine in the sun...

work, tan, mac !

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

are you sure??
    i know where you live!:D:D:D

23. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Well I glossed over it a while and decided what mattered to me was the most accurate picture quality for doing my artwork.

24. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I ordered my first Mac (Penryn MBP) from MacMall on Feb 27.

So, I read up on this debate before ordering and didn't come to a conclusion, so I ordered the regular screen. Then I went to an Apple store, and thought the glossy looked better. I called MacMall to change it (because the new ones weren't there yet), and I successfully did that. However, they are still not available (even from Apple Store), so I'm still waiting.

Now, I read this stuff about glare and fingerprints, and I am like ":mad::mad::mad::mad:". The vast majority of the time, the computer will be like a desktop on my desk at home. I hope that is fine.

25. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

well if you don't open the box..
    you can always exchange it you know!
    but both screens are good..
    you've used aPC before right?
    and most of them have glossy screens anyway..