Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
I think matte owners are just alot more vocal about it. Most the threads Ive noticed are started by matte owners.

p.s can the backlit keyboard be disabled?

because that does sound annoying if you were watching a dvd or something.

As far as editing goes, I know as someone who makes music. You need to make sure it sounds correct on a variety of speakers. Graphics people dont seem too concerned that the average laptop owner are looking at there videos and images on glossys.

F8 to disable the backlit keyboard.
i beg to disagree. try using the SEARCH function in this forum and you'll
find GLOSSY members starting threads like are you happy with your glossy screen

katejones

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
F8 to disable the backlit keyboard.
i beg to disagree. try using the SEARCH function in this forum and you'll
find GLOSSY members starting threads like are you happy with your glossy screen

Thanks for the tip, and perhaps you are right, there goes my psychiatric thoery :p

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I think matte owners are just alot more vocal about it. Most the threads Ive noticed are started by matte owners.

because that does sound annoying if you were watching a dvd or something.

As far as editing goes, I know as someone who makes music. You need to make sure it sounds correct on a variety of speakers. Graphics people dont seem too concerned that the average laptop owner are looking at there videos and images on glossys.

use lab tick.....

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I picked a glossy screen, just because I plan to do a bit of gaming and watching movies on it, and I had a MacBook and loved the glossy screen.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
i have a matte lcd on my pc and i decided to get glossy on my mbp (led btw). to me the matte vs glossy argument is well ridiculous. it truly is personal preference. i for one like both and don't mind doing work on either one (i'm a designer btw).

i kind of understand though that if you're a professional photographer you might be picky when it comes between matte and glossy when it comes to color correctness. but i mean if you're really passionate with what you do, then you wouldn't mind taking the extra step to properly calibrate any screen you have anyway.

and i really hope those people who comment on how color correctness is important to them because of their professional work are not seriously using their laptop screen as the main screen.

btw a little off topic... when the hell will anyone actually finally fix the gradient banding that's been in lcd's ever since it was released (if you're curious open up photoshop and make a quick b/w gradient fill)??? it's like people just decided to ignore it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Depends. If you have old MBP keyboard it's F8. If you have new Peryn machines it's hitting F5 until the keyboard goes dark (they removed the on/off, increase, decrease buttons in favor of use increase, decrease)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.