Another Infection Blocked from downloading onto Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by SoCalReviews, Jan 24, 2019.

1. 0009827 Suspended

It matters not what others believe. Or what software somebody else does or doesn't run. What does matter is making a mountain out of a mole hill and trying to create drama out of nothing. And this was the reason the first post got a reaction. There are trojans, ransomware and viruses everywhere, they just cannot infect macOS. And we are ALL well aware of this fact.

2. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it seems like it reverts to a similar place that the other thread left off.

There is no battle. In summary I posted information about an type of infection that was blocked by a free Mac AV I use. I asked that people post their experiences with Mac AVs and Mac security. I have explained how easy it was to install and use Mac AV on all of my Macs has been.... literally a few minutes to install and set up with years of trouble free operation. I explained how well my Macs and the Windows VMs have been protected over and over for years against potential infections.

The result is that some Mac users in this forum don't believe it. They next try to convince me I don't need to use it. Believe I might have an agenda... Tell me I'm wrong or lying in other threads. Argue the my use of words... antivirus, virus and what a "FACT" is... They want to convince me that it's problematic to run a Mac AV... slows down your computer, inconvenient, etc... despite none of that being true for my Macs.

I point out the absurdity of some of these replies and how they seem to more about long time Mac talking points and less about simple security and that... I believe this information is important... and that every reader has the option to use or not use a Mac AV. This makes sense to some posters but for some reason it offends others who try to convince me that there is something wrong with "my beliefs". o_O

3. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Well, its hard to tell with revmacian since his posts are so vague, but I think the ‘belief’ he is saying is wrong is your belief. At least thats what another poster here thought.

4. revmacian, Jan 27, 2019

revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Things change and there was a time when AV software was quite useful. But, if you look at the operating system landscape these days the threats are different.. and some of them are gone on certain platforms. There was a time when viruses were the biggest threat, it could be that malicious people just wanted to create havoc. But today it appears that the biggest threat is social engineering - there is more profit to be gained from stealing information than in rendering a computer inoperable.

A good salesperson will cultivate their art - there are some salespeople who are slick enough to sell you your own shoes - and it is helpful to be able to see through their act. Being able to convince you that there is a threat is one of the best ways to keep you paying for a product. I'm not aware of any software that will protect users from themselves.

We humans have a habit of finding something that works and then sticking with it. But, there comes a time when what used to work no longer does and we need to be open to changing our habits and beliefs in order to shed that which no longer applies.

I know it can be difficult to give up long-held beliefs. So, rather than recommend that you go 'cold turkey', I will recommend that you suspend your beliefs about AV software and listen to some of the others - especially the Mac veterans here on the forums - and truly research their advice. It's easy to ignore some advice because ignoring it panders to our comfort level, but that is of no gain to us. The real gain comes when we're willing to listen to all of the evidence and follow a path even if it means stepping out of our comfort zone.

Good luck to you.

5. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then your Mac security recommendation would be that I... Completely remove all of the Free Mac AV software from all of my Macs ASAP? o_O

6. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

No one is recommending you do anything. All he and others here are saying is that your belief an AV software is almost surely a waste of time on your part. That’s our experienced opinions.

Leaving your AV software installled probably won’t mess up your system though, so leave it on. No big deal.

One thing you could do is un-install it for now, then download and re-install your free AV software every couple of months, run it, let it quarantine whatever it deems a threat, then un-install it again right after running it. That way you gain the assurance that viruses aren’t destroying your computing life, but don’t have that AV software constantly scanning and bogging things down.

7. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Well, I feel it would be helpful to see what that software has provided for you. Yes, it has made you aware of threats that it has blocked. Ok, but we also need to remember that the software has reported threats that the software has blocked - this type of report could be seen as the software maintaining the need for itself. The software makers gain profit from your use of their software.

There are some Mac veterans on these forums that have used Mac operating systems going back quite a bit - I remember some of them having experience as far back as OS 9 - and most of them are making claims that would suggest that AV software isn't needed on a Mac. These people do not profit from giving you their advice.. advice that has accumulated over many years.

Let's talk about handholding, as I feel it is detrimental to others. If we are constantly holding someone's hand (as in protecting them from harm), then they aren't able to learn as much as possible and fend for themselves. Remember the saying "Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime"? I realize that you're aware of the dangers of relaying malware to others, but, and forgive me for saying so, that is called handholding - you aren't responsible for everyone else's computer, let others learn for themselves.

Rather than remove all AV software, turn it off for a while, follow the advice of the Mac veterans and see what happens. You know the healthy computer practices - they're listed in this thread - so follow those and.. see what happens. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, rather I'm giving you enough advice for you to be able to see for yourself - anti-handholding.

8. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

As I have explained before... I never have noticed any system slowdown or bogging down from any constant scanning... ever.

So one of your Mac security recommendations is that I uninstall the free Mac AV Security software from seven Macs and then every couple months reinstall it back onto them? o_O

9. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Leave it running.
    But bottom line, we think the premise of your thread here (that AV. software is saving your bacon) is just flat out wrong.

On a side note theres another program that I resent even more than useless mac AV software, ‘CleanMyMac’ has got to be the biggest turd of a program I’ve ever seen.
    Their spam ads infecting every corner of the web is all you need to know about that program. so please dont tell me you also use ‘CleanMyMac’.

10. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

You're recommending that I turn the free Mac AV security software OFF?

What about the fraudulent (fake credit company) email with a Trojan in the attached PDF file that the Free Mac AV virus blocked? You think it would have been better for security if that email would have ended up in my email inbox?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2019 ---
    You're saying that the premise of this thread... That my Free Mac AV software blocked an infection in a fraudulent email from downloading is wrong?

I'm not trying to be redundant... I'm just trying to understand how following your Mac security advice would be a benefit for the security of my Macs. I mean... this type of debate has been going on for the past few days... and I'm just trying to understand exactly what is being recommended to improve Mac security and computer security in general if you use more the just Macs (Windows VMs, other Windows machines, etc..).

11. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

12. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

For all you know that fake email was generated by the maker of your AV software in order to keep you hooked - as long as you keep seeing threats being blocked you'll keep using their app. I'm not saying that is the case, I'm just saying that I wouldn't put much value on the validity of the email.

Did you actually see that email? Did you see the attachment? Are you able to view the email headers? Apple Mail.app can be configured to refuse downloading attachments until you download them yourself - which would have eliminated the need for AV software in that case.

13. agaskew macrumors 6502

Who do you choose to believe? Avast, or the posters in this thread? I know who I'd listen to.

14. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

I'm recommending that you turn your AV software off, all of it. I have a feeling you'll uninstall it yourself after you see how pointless it is. This is what I was talking about regarding handholding; let someone else see the truth rather than protect them from harm.

15. 0009827 Suspended

Would of made no difference whatsoever if the "trojan" was in your inbox or not. It can only affect unpatched unprotected windows boxes. You dont have any of those do you?
    Avast long known to cause false positives since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

16. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Ah, right, the Win32:Malware.Gen. A properly configured Mail.app wouldn't have downloaded it at all.

17. 0009827 Suspended

Exactly.

18. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

So you're saying that the attached PDF file in the fake credit card company email that the free Mac AV virus detected and blocked as a trojan.... was not a threat?

For business I use multiple Windows VMs and have Windows only machines...and I also download the same emails directly into them as well... but you don't think it would have made any difference if that email with the detected trojan was blocked by the free Mac AV first?
    I have already explained over and over that I use MS Outlook for emails... across multiple platforms... Mac and Windows...I don't use and don't like the Mac Mail.app. It doesn't have the features or the MS Office integration that I need for business.
    What drama did I create? I simply posted information about a potential infection in a fake credit company email that my free Mac AV blocked... then recommended common sense for Mac security... and that I believe a broad spectrum Mac AV with email and browser security should be considered...especially to protect systems running MS Office and MS Windows VMs.

19. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Just so you know you aren't alone in the pond. I have Malwarebytes Premium and Avast free both up and running. I too notice no slowdowns or bogs. The "Macs are virus free" folks at some point, will wish they had something running in the background. It may be tomorrow, maybe next month, maybe not for many months. But sooner or later, Karma has a way of catching up to the naysayers.
    It does no harm to run those programs and it gives me a little peace of mind.

20. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

I never have tried Malarebytes Premium. How do you like it? I had tried the free Malwarebytes a few years back when it first came out but there wasn't much to it. I know that when I took my Mac Mini in last year to a long time Apple service center (not an Apple store) after it had crashed during the HS update I noticed in my trash bin they had run Malwarebytes and several other programs as part of their diagnostic service.

That Mac Mini crash wasn't related to an infection. It turned out the problem was some corrupted system files. They ended up having to reinstall MacOS and the data and MacOS was all good. It was at that time that they mentioned that they did recommend some type of AV or security scanning software for customers despite the long time "Macs don't get infected" mantra we've heard for years.

I have been quite satisfied for a while with AVAST free for Mac... no noticeable slowdown, not too many nag pop ups to upgrade, etc.. Years ago I was using F-Secure AV for Mac and it was ok. I have been wanting to try ESET Security for Mac but I didn't want to go through any testing when what I'm using has been working well.

21. 0009827 Suspended

Yes. That is exactly what i have been saying since my first post here. The AV on you WINDOWS machines would have caught it and quarantined it.
    FYI the free malwarebytes mac version has nothing to it, because it is only needed for on demand scanning. That is all that is required. Except a constant nag for your cash to upgrade to the premium version of course.
    Also FYI i have the free version installed on this very macbook. It has never detected anything.

22. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

So, if the Windows AV caught in and quarantined it, it WAS a threat.

23. 0009827 Suspended

No, it MAY have been a threat. TO WINDOWS. We will never know either way now.

24. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Ah, okay then.

25. 0009827 Suspended

Why you would automatically sync your emails with multiple computers of varying operating systems is beyond me tbh. That is exactly the kind of bad habits which allow these things to spread.