Another Infection Blocked from downloading onto Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by SoCalReviews, Jan 24, 2019.

1. BigBoy2018, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Yes, run 3 different kinds of AV software, just to be safe.
    Also, dont drive in your car anymore, take a bus its safer.
    Avoid eating any meat ever too, could have salminella of some other problem there.
    Best just stay in your house all day an never leave, all the unsafe people out in the world.

Note: You can impose many annoying lifestyle changes on yourself using the logic ‘its safer this way’. Obviously its easy to take that too far and many do.
    Sounds like you’re in that camp along with the thread starter.

2. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

Business and personal emails are separated in MS Outlook on multiple platforms and on different machines so they can be directly accessed, recorded and utilized in MS Office and other programs. It's done this way for convenience and redundancy. I've had machines go down and needed access to older emails in order to continue without any downtime.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2019 ---
    So you're advocating that I use my Windows VMs and dedicated Windows machines as virus/malware capturing "honeypots". You are saying that it's better to find out if an attachment is a trojan by letting the Windows VMs or Windows dedicated machines get infected.

If Macs don't easily get viruses/malware as so many have claimed why wouldn't it be better to have the Mac AV running on the MacOS detect them? I'm really trying to understand your logic in regards to system security.

3. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

What a GREAT idea, any suggestions for a third program to use? ;)
    No complaints re Malwarebytes. It just sits in the background and does whatever it does. It tells you something that an authorized  service center would run MWB as part of their problem ID process doesn't it?

4. SoCalReviews, Jan 27, 2019

I'm going to consider Malwarebytes Premium for Mac. It sounds like it runs similarly well the way AVAST free for Mac does. Of course those Apple authorized Mac service centers probably don't read this forum so they wouldn't know that some of the Mac users posting here recommend that "it's better for security" if you don't use it. ;)

5. revmacian, Jan 27, 2019

revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

You know, I began using Debian GNU/Linux back in 2001, having grown tired of the problems on Windows 98 SE. A week after learning about Linux, I wiped every computer I owned and installed Linux. A couple years later I learned about BSD and began using that. It quickly dawned on me that *nix systems were designed to be more secure and I stuck with them for years. Using *nix system kinda forces you to learn about hardware as well as software - I learned how to write my own apps, build my own computers and run my own servers because of my introduction into the *nix world.

macOS is actually based on BSD (Darwin), which was one of the things that drew me to research the Mac line of computers.

I may not be a Mac veteran, but I'm far from being a dummy where computers are concerned.. and I know a thing or two about computer/server security. I have not run security apps in over a decade and I haven't seen any problems with any of my many computers (Mac, Linux and BSD).

Where are all of these horrible threats and why have I not seen any of them on my computers?

6. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Hmm, could be the threat of them infecting your system are 1 in a billion, contrary to what martyimac and the threat starter want you to believe.

7. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Well, BSD was designed from the beginning to be secure - I believe that was what prompted Steve Jobs to use it as a base for NeXT systems. And now, being that macOS still uses Darwin, we are using a system that is quite different from Windows. And, changing systems often requires switching old habits and procedures.

I haven't used a Microsoft product in 17 years and I don't think I could manage it now.. having to manage two different systems that each have their own procedures would likely drive my old mind to the looney bin.

8. 0009827 Suspended

IF you have adequate security on the windows (or don't open blatantly fake email attachments), it is irrelevant what runs on your macs. NO honeypot, no infection, no issues. And please ignore whether or not a windows system is in a VM or not- it really makes no difference to safety.
    I will not post in this thread again- you are free to do as you wish- as i stated all along. And please- don't worry about MY logic on internet security.
    Warez sites more than likely. And even most of those are quite honourable.

9. revmacian, Jan 27, 2019

revmacian

I'm guessing that not everyone learned the lessons from XcodeGhost.

10. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

We could test those odds and let you roll the dice for us. If you give us your email information and we could send you anything our Mac AV security software detects or blocks. This would include any malicious web links and exploits blocked by the web browser security. You could open those infected files and click on those bad web links and we could see what happens. :D

11. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

The question is how are you getting all of these threats? Do you have a subscription to Malware-R-Us or something? I've been all over the internet for years and I've never seen a peep of a threat.. and I used to run several servers (web, dbase, ftp, pop/smtp). I still think most of those threats are fabricated by the AV software company in order to keep their software relevant in your life. Either that or tons of false positives - something Avast is known for.

12. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Lol! Love it.

13. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course... You never see any threats because you don't use Mac security software and most infections these days... spyware, ransomware, software and browser exploits are purposely engineered to remain undetected. Therefore how would you ever know? I guess you do hold true to your belief that "what do don't know about can't hurt you."

14. revmacian, Jan 27, 2019

revmacian

Uhm.. sorry, but that won't wash. Running servers teaches a person what to look for and how to detect network traffic.. especially on *nix systems. Sorry, but I'm not buying into the AV company brainwashing as you apparently have done.

I guess it was a waste to try to open your eyes about AV software.

I'm out.. can't justify wasting any further time on this with someone who doesn't want to change.

15. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I’m coming from DOS/Windows to mac after 25+ years. I blame my husband and his macos fetish he’s had about as long as I’ve been on Windows. In the past 2 months I’ve almost caught up to him in all things mac. It is different but not impossible to learn, even for a stuck in the mud person like me. Oh, and I don’t have AV software on the mac - I do on the PC I am migrating away from and it was a PITA. The mac is a breath of fresh air. Every day that I use it I tell him what an amazing machine it is. But no AV on it.

16. 0009827 Suspended

Completely and utterly incorrect. I can only assume you are deliberately trolling at this point. This parrot is dead.

17. SoCalReviews, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

Really? I have not been the one that has been doing the "trolling". I am the one who started this thread on the topic of having an infection blocked and the benefits of utilizing Mac security software. I'm not sure how someone is supposed to troll their own thread and parrot their own thread topic. No one forced you to post in this thread.

What information have you contributed in regards to Mac security software? What experience do you have with using any security software for Mac that you can add to the discussion?... If someone is not using a threat diagnostic software that is monitoring your system... How would you recommend a common Mac user detects infection threats?.... or do you just want to continue trying to derail from the main thread topic to debate your own talking point that "Macs don't ever need use any Mac security software"?

18. 0009827, Jan 28, 2019

0009827 Suspended

Not only have i provided you with verifiable, useful information on keeping your business network safe, basic computing habits, and links to articles, i have been polite and patient since page 1. It seems you do not read any of it, or post in an angry way- where you forget any of the previous posts.
    As for experience on the topic- i have OVER 15 years in professional setting.
    Also to note- never once did i say "macs do not need security software". Please show me where i typed that.
    What a waste of my time. Why ask for advice if you will not hear it?
    You state that threats deliberately try to go undetected- so by your own logic- they try to go undetected by your antivirus software as well. Unless you think it is a magic bullet?

19. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once again I will ask the question...

How would you recommend a common Mac user detects infection threats?

20. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

The question has been answered many times by credible people here. Looks like this thread is only meant to increase the OP's post count.

21. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

In fairness to the OP, I don't think he ever really wanted advice. All he wanted was for people to pop up like a cheering section applauding his use of AV software and how excellent it was that he found these supposed viruses.

I really think he didn't expect this kind of blowback. So when it came, stunned and confused, he dug in his heels.

22. SoCalReviews, Jan 28, 2019

Read the first post and main topic. The purpose of this entire thread is to discuss how to block and detect security threats and to ask for other people's experience with utilizing Mac security software.

23. 0009827 Suspended

The biggest security threat is sitting at the desk. As for any other advice, i have better things to do. This thread is finished.

24. SoCalReviews, Jan 28, 2019

No the question hasn't been answered by him. He referred to me as a parrot and a troll for discussing the topic of this thread. As part of my reply I asked a simple question and underlined it because there are Mac users that want to detect and block infections and threats of all kinds on their Macs and to block them from reaching other computers they use. If he or anyone else has a solution to detect those threats not involving using Mac security software then he and any other "credible people" should be able to have the answer. I'm interested in security solutions not rhetoric.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2019 ---
    I started moving away from dedicated Windows machines after Windows 8 came out. One of the main reasons was security. I always liked UNIX and Linux and when the Macs started using a UNIX based OS I took notice.

As I explained in the first post Macs and the software on them still can have vulnerabilities.... browsers and email software have been targeted in the recent past. Files can be downloaded and transferred to other computers using Windows or visa versa. Potential infections can transfer to a system from simply using a common Flash memory drive. There have been hardware exploits...such as the issues with hyper-threading, branch prediction and speculative execution in older processors. Security software can help address many of these potential issues.

25. 0009827 Suspended

For somebody not interested in rhetoric, you never stop speaking it.