Another Infection Blocked from downloading onto Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by SoCalReviews, Jan 24, 2019.

1. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll keep that word in mind while I wait for you to answer to my question... How would you recommend a common Mac user detects infection threats? ;)

2. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

I'll take the first crack at it: By not being a dumbass and opening attachments to obvious spam emails.

(P.S. even if you do, the odds it's a MAC spyware/virus/worm etc. is unbelievably low)

3. SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

A lot of common Mac users who aren't very technical... children, teens, adults, elderly and in businesses... employees, etc.. ... they open email attachments sometimes just by accident but I wouldn't refer to those Mac users as "dumbasses".

There might be a much easier security solution you could offer those people...one that just detects and blocks infections and threats... set and forget... for the "non-experts". I wonder what solution it could be? :rolleyes:

Do you have a simple solution?

::crickets::

4. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Thought you said "This thread is finished"? Just sayin.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets tone it done, please before things start spiraling out of control

6. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

As said in my post way back at the beginning of this thread, it takes a lot of courage in the Macrumors Forum even to link remotely and cautiously as the thread starter did, the MacOS with the general concept behind the VIRUS word.
    The quantity of personal attacks and the violence that opening such an hazardous thread as this one will bring to the thread starter or to anybody in the different posts sharing his views is truly incredible.:eek:
    It is in my opinion way less risky to speak here very badly about the late and great Steve Jobs and make huge compliments to Bill Gates and his fortune making Windows.:rolleyes:
    Tolerance to accept people who feel better with AV in their mac is ZERO :mad: and some even went so far as to accuse the thread starter of selling by himself AV and using this thread to make money by creating fear!
    What a shame! :(

7. SoCalReviews, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

SoCalReviews thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. chrfr macrumors 604

Do you know that Avast would have removed that?

9. SoCalReviews, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

There is a good chance Avast for Mac free or paid version (with the browser protection enabled on a compatible third party browser) would have blocked and/or detected the malware the Mac user acquired but actually I don't know if it removes it. I'm not an Avast for Mac expert. I did do a quick search on that type of Mac malware (BeeAware) and some sites claim that Malwarebytes for Mac can be used as part of a step by step process to remove it. There are probably a number of different Mac security programs that could have helped block and remove this particular threat.

The main point is... Why in the world would any Mac user try to discourage other common Mac users from taking every measure possible to protect their Macs from the threat of infections if those common users are seeking answers? It's just defies any kind of logic. That's why I went to great lengths earlier in this thread to explain the dangers of holding on to old beliefs regarding Mac security. It's not just about Macs and the MacOS which is probably one of the safer alternatives for computer users. Nevertheless infection threats do exist and in different ways they can effect users on all platforms.

10. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

THIS!!! I supported the OP earlier in this thread and the vitriol and downright mean posts made by others just makes me SMH. It is perfectly okay to disagree with a thread topic but to cast aspersions and belittle a person because they disagree with their views is uncalled for. I backed out of the convo because I have had enough experience with internet forums to know that to stay in the conversation just feeds the trolls and makes the thread unhelpful at best.
    And yes, I use virus AND malware protection on my Macs.

11. SoCalReviews, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Thank you Martyimac and Riwam and the others who have taken time to post information and offer their support for my efforts in this and other threads on this topic of Mac security. This forum should be a place where Mac users feel comfortable to discuss a wide range of Mac related topics without the fear of attacks and ridicule. Sadly... I am wondering how many other Mac users who may have had questions on this topic were discouraged from posting due to the unfortunate tone and persistent negativity coming from those who disagreed with the idea of having any type of discourse at all on the the topic of Mac AV and security software.