Another iPad 3 another disappointing display, buyer beware.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Jul 11, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

I know I am going to get flamed here, but I suppose I ll have to handle the flames and get on with the good posters...:eek:

This is my second iPad and this time although the yellow hue is better (its still a problem mind you) the contrast is much worse, to the extent that side to side on min brightness the iPad 3 is much dimmer to the iPad 2...

Another disappointment here, and I guess another round of namecalling an op such as myself will ensue from the minions, but there's a real problem here, these screens might be great due to the high pixel count, but they are poor screens otherwise.

I waited for sometime to avoid these problems but sadly quality hasn't really picked up it seems...

Anyone else have contrast issues?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess I won the lottery then, cause I only had to buy one new iPad (3) and I love my screen

Now mind you, I have never felt the need to test it for dead pixels, view it in a pitch black room or compare it to my wife's iPad 1 or any other iPad for that matter

I just bought it and use it

3. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I'm on my third one. First one looked used with scuff marks. Second one had a missing setting and yellow tinting and a pink hue.
    Third one, made it out perfectly. Praise the good Lord because I was starting to get a bit upset. The yellow on the second was noticeable especially when on this site. Everything was yellow including the background.
    Now the one I have is more whitish blue still better than yellow with a pink hue.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Nope no name calling from me. I got lucky, both my iPad 2 (refurb) and iPad 3 have great looking screens indoors and out. :)

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I don't quite get the purpose of this thread. Take it back to Apple if something is wrong, keep it otherwise. I don't really see issues.

6. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

OP.......I have gone thru many iPads , I always had 2 on hand to compare one another and they always had much different tints, I always stayed within my 14 day period. I have finally received an iPad that is white but from experience the majority of them have tints.

7. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Seems like Apple always has some screen problems with major redesigns of products.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

What does this yellow hue look like can you post a pic

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I actually have two iPad3 (one company, one private); both screens are close to perfect; I could discuss an extreme slight yellow tint but not sure if that my tired eyes, environment light or what else. it's not disturbing enough to check more.
    much better compared to my still existing iPad2.

double-happy camper here.

does that help you ? no. but please go to an Apple Store and give it another try. it's an awesome device worth the trouble.

10. klover macrumors 6502a

Went through 6 before I landed one that was perfect (uniform and snow white screen, no dust, no scratches, no dead-stuck pixels, no backlight bleed).

After all that, I'm never selling this one. I've played the panel lottery game with iPads since the first-gen.

11. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I guess I lucked out too. I had major issues with my iPad 1, had it swapped twice due to wireless issues. The iPad 2 was just awesome. It just worked. The 'New iPad' had issues out of the box with wireless. I thought 'Oh no! Not another iPad 1 dance and swapping units for 'bad' units'. I reset the 'New iPad' three times, and finally it's rock solid. The screen does bleed a little on the edges, but otherwise it's just awesome.

Sure, people are going to complain about someone who returns an iPad several times because they sense a flaw in it, but if I bought something that expensive and wasn't happy with it, I'd make noise too... Porsche should be glad I never have had enough money to get one of their cars. To pay that kind of money on a vehicle, it better damn well be as perfect as I think it should be.

If it's not right, Apple isn't going to beat your door down to make sure you are satisfied... (Well, but to be honest, like we say about my aunt who has been married nearly 12 times: It's probably not the men she's meeting, but the men she's meeting, if you catch my drift:D)

12. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I have no issues with mine although my iPad1 did develop a few stuck pixels that only seemed present when viewing dark colours (was very noticeable during movie playback). My new iPad display is just stunning in comparison, the contrast and sharpness make my portfolio look amazing.

The only name calling you are likely to get is because you refer to people as "minions" in the first post of a thread. Nothing like a little name calling to kickstart retaliation.

There may be a few QC issues with the displays but i can't really comment on that as i and those i know who upgraded seemed to have lucked out on the displays but even with Q issues it does not make the screens "poor". Defective is defective.

13. blow45, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate all you guys, well almost all, you guys chiming in, this has turned well and I didn't expect that. @pinky, christian, klover, mac, roadster. thanks guys.

The point of this thread cause someone asked is to find out if others have had issues with contrast.

Also to answer to someone, at the moment I don't have an apple store close and I am buying from resellers which have a non returns policy unless it's dead on arrival. Hence my options are pretty much resell it, or suffer through it. I got lucky because the first one had a manufacturing glitch on the aluminum, and I was able to return it, cause otherwise I 'd have had a hard time to have them take it back just on a screen issue. I guess maybe I need to contact apple directly and see what I can do, cause it's going to be a bummer to have to resell all the time, and the road might be long till I get one with a good screen.

To the point: Anyone else notice contrast issues? The ipad 3 is supposed to be brighter than the ipad 2, yet I can't bare the contrast on this thing. It's either bleeding my eyes from the light when I use it close to max, or max, and when I have it at above average not much pops from the screen. Sure the retina is great, and sure enough it's day and night in text clarity compared to the previous gen, but I can't really enjoy it when the contrast seems so poor.

Shouldn't the new ipad be brighter than the older one, I was reading they have about the same contrast too (or rather they are supposed to) in specs. Then how come my minimal brightness settings on this are so much dimmer than on the gen two I have. Surely, this has to be a poor contrast panel.

I do plan to keep buying until I get one that has a good screen btw. I stood in line for a first ipad, and I was waiting for one 3 years before they put it to market. I admire apple for the device they made, I might criticize them on a lot of fronts, I might also not like how the os hasn't evolved as much on the ipad, but I have never doubted what a huge leap forward the ipad has been, on the contrary I have praised their foresight even before it was released and the end product after. I like the ipad so much that despite being very aware by gauging from these and other forums about what I might be facing when buying one in terms of the screen problems, I went ahead and bought one.

Too bad about the screen qc products, and they are there, they are not imaginary.

I don't mind one or two dead pixels, and both my ipad 1 and 2 had back light bleed. I couldn't care less about that either. And the reason I put it side by side to my ipad 2 was because there was again something about the display that was off putting, and I said what is it that makes me want to use one ipad, and not the other. But nice try at playing (covertly) the you are ocd card.

@kurosov, I didn't refer to people as minions, I referred to the minions compulsively attacking other users at apple forums on the slightest hint that one might have some dissatisfaction with an apple product, as minions. I am sorry to say this apple related forums do attract this kind of posting, unlike say sony's or lenovo's, or anyone elses for that matter.

14. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

15. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I must have won the lottery as well. My screen is really nice, even when taking the "I don't know why I'm looking at my screen in pitch black darkness with the backlight on at 100%" test. ;)

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

What's up with my, and others, who only bought 1 iPad and the screens were fine (and I did check mine for tint or discoloration out of curiosity, and it was without either)?

17. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

you got lucky, even if 1/10 had good screens, and apple sold 5 millions of these, they'd be some 500,000 very satisfied users. I 've pointed this out to you in another thread here. I don't know why you keep insisting on busting other's peoples' apples when they have an issue they 'd like some feedback on with "what's up with mine then that's good". You are not helping anyone. And the last thing one needs when they 're having an issue with the screen is someone else rubbing it in their face that their ipad is great. Good, enjoy it, now move on to the apps or accesories sub forums so you might do something useful for yourself and others there.

18. seadragon, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

seadragon Contributor

seadragon

My message is "Don't settle for less than a perfect screen." You got one. Congrats. :)

Others have not been so lucky and have been severely disappointed by the QC on the iPad 3. Buying an iPad shouldn't be the lottery that it is, forcing people to waste their valuable time having to return them hoping to get a good one.

19. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

I got mine on launch day, and have several family members/friends who have picked up one the last few months. All of them as well as myself have perfect screens, although we just use it and enjoy it.

I truly believe most of these "problems" are only visible to those going out of the way to try to find one. This forum creates so much hysteria on this topic, it's a shame for people looking to buy one and get turned off because of these threads.

20. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Well, I went looking to buy one because I wanted one. These threads had nothing to do with it. The screens are visibly bad and I truly believe there are a lot of color blind people out there.

21. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

That is how everyone else feels about you guys:p

Hopefully the next iPad will have a display for "non-color blind" people like you!

22. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Haha! Let's hope so. :D

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My civilian job is now giving iPad's to field techs.

All the screens look the same as the one I purchased, which is flawless.

I've yet to see one of these yellow or pink iPads in the wild.

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Because many of you who have had problematic iPads insist that those of us without problems are just too blind, stupid, or clueless to see the problems, or claim to "know" that the majority of iPads are flawed.

I'll ease up on the perennial b*tchers when they stop trying to tell everyone who is happy with their iPads that they are clueless about what their screens actually look like.

25. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

very funny guys, let me ask you this though... How come everyone developed hysteria and ocd with the ipad 3, and suddenly a whole lot of people started having screen issues with it? How come you don't see that on the ipods forum, or the iphone, or for that matter (except for the occasional backlight bleed thread) on the ipad 1 or 2 forums before?

There are two possible explanations:
    a. There's a particular kind of hysteria and ocd that affects people. But unless they buy any other apple i-device other than the ipad, they don't have this hysteria.
    b. The ipad 3 has screen issues.

So, which one is it? :confused: