Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new drawing of the unannounced iPad Air 3 highlights the dimensions of the device, with the potential for the third generation iPad Air to have similar dimensions as the iPad Air 2 (via Engadget). According to the image, the iPad Air 3 will be 6.15 mm thick and 169.6 mm wide, meaning the new tablet would end up about 0.05 mm thicker and 0.1 mm wider than the iPad Air 2.

Since the dimensions are so close to one another, and factoring in the possibility for rounding and measurement errors, it's a good possibility that the iPad Air 3 will be around the same size as the second generation iPad Air tablet.

ipad-air-3-dimensions.jpg
Image via Engadget​

Today's drawing also supports previous rumors surrounding the iPad Air 3's potential features, including a four-speaker design to boost audio quality in the same vein as the iPad Pro. A Smart Connector port can be seen on the side of the device, which would give the new iPad support for accessories like a Smart Keyboard. Previous case leaks and rumors for the iPad Air 3 have been less consistent on the inclusion of a Smart Connector, with some showing a cutout for the accessory port and some not.

The sketch also supports the rumored addition of a rear-facing LED flash onto the iPad line, which would make the iPad Air 3 the first of Apple's tablets to get the feature.

At the company's September event last year, only the iPad mini received a refresh, along with the debut of the iPad Pro. Due to its elongated lifespan, the iPad Air has been rumored to get its own update during the first half of 2016, potentially at a March media event.

Article Link: Another iPad Air 3 Design Drawing Points to Smart Connector, Similar Dimensions as iPad Air 2

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
It's still going to be overpriced.

Drop the price to be more in line with the Kindle Fires and I might be interested.

Reactions: AleXXXa

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Interesting that there is still a headphone jack on this. Why would they keep it on the iPad but drop it from the phone?
Because the iPad is a multimedia device and they want to save the big announcement for the iPhone to make a big splash

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2011
USA
From the cases externally it seems that it will be identical to the iPad Pro. What should be interesting is how similar the Air 3 will be to the iPad pro. The iPad Pro was built to "replace your PC" as Tim Cook stated. One of the things I've always loved about Apple is that every product is somewhat similar. For those who don't want to spend the extra money on a 12.9" tablet can purchase the 9.7" tablet with the same functionality. If Apple includes the Apple Pencil with the Air 3. it will defiantly spread to more consumers interested in the smaller iPad, hopefully the Mini and the iPhone.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Ok so it will be a " mini" ipad pro with smart connector, but without pencil support, and with a a higher clocked a9, or a lower clocked A9X. With 2 or 3 gb,
And reading into the other rumors could feature a higher res screen, i think the same res as an ipad pro(2732x2048).

Just dreaming, but why wouldn' t they increase the screensize to 10,1 inch? With the same physical dimensions as the air2(slightly bigger, but with smaller bezels).

They would have an alternative to the smallest macbook air and the pro as an alternative to the bigger macbook air.

They could phase out the traditional macbook air by these 2 ipads and pheriphals and by adding the macbook last year, it would be end of the line of the very old macbook airs.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
If only the Air 3 had 3D Touch it would be perfect for me.

Yeah, I won't buy a new iPad without 3D Touch.
It's not like 3D Touch was that great innovation, but I'm using it every day on the iPhone and when I'm switching to my iPad it's not there. If I would still use iPhone 5s or 6 I wouldn't care, but now I try to press it and nothing happens, it's a bit disappointing every time.

procrastinasn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Interesting that there is still a headphone jack on this. Why would they keep it on the iPad but drop it from the phone?

Simple: Because iPhone always gets the new technology before iPad?
Ex: touch ID, retina, 3d touch (not on iPad)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

iPhone is a little more mobile. It goes in your pockets while you listen music or run (or any other exercise) I always use wireless earpiece on my iPhone. Very rarely on iPad as I mainly use it when am at home. So I think wireless makes not so much sense on iPad sit does on iPhone.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So there we have it, iPad Air-3 will be thicker and wider than the Air-2 what a pity !

You do realize how small 0.1mm is, right? Could easily just be tolerance in the machining of the case. I doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference between an Air 2 and 3 side by side based on dimensions alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.