Another iPhone, AT&T, and Verizon article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Verizon has repeatedly stated that they do not want the iPhone because they want their own content stores, to which Apple will never agree.

This is more blather from inane dreamers.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

QFT. Also, Verizon will want to handicap the phone like they always do. Flame away, Verizon lovers. I sincerely wished Verizon would get the iPhone, so we could stop hearing all the AT&T crap.

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Same here. Even though they won't get it, I wish they would so all the whiners would finally shut up. Then again, they would be whining about how to remove all the verizon crapware they put on it. It would never end.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't want verizon. They cripple their phones, cost just as much as AT&T, and provide no better service (where I live). But if it would shut up some whiners I'm cool with it.

5. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't much matter what service the iphone is on, the phone itself is what is causing my service issues.. ( My case anyway). Sometimes during the day in my apartment I will have 5 bar on 3G, next thing 2 mins later nothing switches to edge.. They can't always be having issues in my area and if I call AT&T they are not going to fix anything. It's been like this since I got the service.. It also happens almost everywhere I go.. I don't feel like going to the apple store to see about swapping it, I'm going to give it a couple more months then I'm out..

But it would be nice if verizon did get the iphone.

James

6. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon can die in a fire and finish burning in HELL

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What's it gonna' take to end the speculation about iPhone choosing VZ?:eek::eek::eek:

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Another year, when the AT&T contract ends and then Apple renews it.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OK, that's good to know, b/c I can only handle one more YEAR of VZ speculation....:(:(:(

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Got a cite? Verizon has never stated that, AFAIK.

What Verizon has said, was that they couldn't come to terms with the money Apple wanted (which has changed), or their ban on sales in places like Walmart (which has changed), or their wanting to handle all warranty decisions (which has not changed).

What crapware would that be? Doesn't sound like you know much about their WM or RIM smartphones.

I wish Verizon would get the iPhone just so we don't have hear so many ATT fanboy myths.

12. lavinci macrumors 6502

What if verizon iphone has that annoying red theme to it.

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Sorry, but I don't need or want a crap WM device. Had them before. Junk. I don't want a windows phone. I already have the desktop software. As for RIM, no thanks. I don't need a "pro" phone. I don't like the interface at all. I have also seen just how well the desktop manager works too. No thanks.

The reason I chose the iPhone was it's simplicity, plug and play, sleekness and quality. It's a simple, yet powerful device. I despised smart phones until I used the iPhone. Life is already complicated - I don't need to complicate it even further with a smart phone that is not intuitive.

Tap. Doesn't get much easier than that.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Verizon=failure
    Doesn't even get a signal at my office lolz. ATT 5 bars.

15. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Where I work now is a massive Verizon dead zone. You can always tell who has Verizon because the people walk in, look at their phone once the call drops, turn around and walk out or lean against the windows in the lobby.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[​IMG]

No sir! No trace of Verizon meddling or crapware here! :D

We - including the Verizon fanboys - already know what it would have looked like. The image above makes it pretty clear to me what could have been. And now that we've all seen it, no thanks!

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, that damn red check mark crap. That has to be the WORST logo ever. Plus all the wonderful crapware :)

Another reason I like AT&T, besides the milky minutes commercial, is the color of the logo. Orange + Blue. Excellent colors. Blue is my favorite. So yes to any advertisers out there, color DOES play a role in choice. :)

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't know why people want Verizon. CDMA is locked to America. This means that you have to roam if you go to any other country. It's expensive to roam overseas.
    OTOH, if you unlock your iPhone now, you are able to pop in another country's SIM and use it. If I'd been able to unlock my iPhone when I went to Europe several weeks ago, I could've used that instead of my crappy Motorola V400.
    When Verizon decides to join the rest of the world and go GSM, I'll be okay with the iPhone going to Verizon.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Where in that NYTimes article does Verizon say they don't want an iPhone? That's simply the way the author made it seem.

They're simply defending the exclusive handset contracts. Verizon (just like us) knows AT&T's contract is up next year, so they're not really defending AT&T by any means. AT&T's contract is still up next year, and Apple could still bring the iPhone to Verizon if they work out their differences.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... proof of any sort whatsoever?

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd have to disagree with the first part of your post. I believe verizon would jump at the chance. Have they stated explicitly that they don't want the iPhone because of their newly unveiled app store, or are you reading into verizon's insistence to have all their phones use a single (verizon) app store?

I think verizon isn't getting the iPhone, not because they don't want one or because of a silly rule they made up but rather apple and ATT have a good relationship, plus the phone is GSM and why incur the cost of creating a CDMA product just for the US when GSM is a worldwide format.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple went to Verizon first. Verizon wanted their content store. Apple said no, Verizon turned them down.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

Guys/Gals.

It's just luck of the draw. For you younger folks on this board (I'm in my 30s) but the NBC show "The Cosby Show" was the biggest sitcom hit in the 1980s. It basically anchors NBC's Thursday lineup for 8 years. No other TV network dared compete with NBC's lineup on Thursdays in the 1980s and for the most part of the 1990's and it all started with Bill Cosby's show.

But people forget the The Cosby Show was first presented to ABC as a pilot which ABC turned down. Big mistake and that changed the history of TV sitcoms for a long time.

Fast forward to Apple iPhone and Verizon. Verizon had their show. They couldn't agree to terms of Apple. Apple pitched their product to ATT who agreed to the terms of the deal (well ATT got an even better deal after revenue sharing ended with the iphone 3g s).

So Verizon had the first shot. They fumbled it. ATT has been the big winner with agreement to sell Apple iPhone.

End of Story.

Eventually Verizon will see Apple iPhone somewhere circa 2012 when their LTE/CDMA combo network becomes a little more mature. Apple isn't going to use 2 difference chips (GSM/CMDA) in their product line for the foreseeable future.