Another "iPhone Killer" steps up to the plate - trounces all competitors (The Matrix)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. wikoogle, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The Motorola Atrix (The Matrix) has been unveiled, and I have to admit, I'm quite impressed.

It's heads and shoulders above lesser "iPhone Killers" like the Nexus S and Galaxy S.

A Dual Core Cortex A9 processor paired with Nvidia Graphics

1GB of RAM

A 4" display with a resolution close to the Retina Display - 960x540 = 1/2 1080p (1920x1080)

A Whopping 1930mAh Battery

Complete with a Dock that transforms the phone into a laptop with a full functioning Firefox browser and video player offering 8 hrs of battery life while simultaneously charging the phone.

"You can go on a long flight and watch two full length movies on the laptop dock using the Atrix and its processor. Once you’re done watching you will have a fully charged phone."

[​IMG]

This is the smartphone alternate to get if you are too impatient to wait and see what Apple has up it's sleeve for the iPhone 5.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/motorola-atrix-4g-smartphone-with-computer-like-power/

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

however not as cool as the iPhone.

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Depends on which iPhone.

It's quite a bit cooler than the iPhone 4 imho. But I feel like the iPhone 5 will catch up by offering a dual core A9 processor, an updated gpu, 1gb of ram, a 4" Super AMOLED screen with full RGB subpixels, and some other features of it's own.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021233

5. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

That's going to be a beast, if only it wasn't Android.

6. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

I doubt the next iPhone will have a single one of those things. Maybe the ram, that's it.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol I love how people still like to throw the words "iphone killer" around... you would think people would learn from the first 100 times this has failed. Especially now that the iphone is on the largest network in the US along with the second largest.

8. iPadztr macrumors 6502

This will be my next Phone. I love my i4, but the OS looks stale dated now.

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The only people who use that term are iPhone fanboys, and the only place I see it is in Apple forums. The product isn't being marketed to kill the iPhone by the carrier or the manufacturer.

10. wikoogle, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

On the contrary, I think there have been quite a few iPhone Killers that in turn were killed a few months later by the next iteration of the iPhone.

The Driod phones (Driod X/2/Incredible) indeed killed the iPhone 3GS, only to then later be killed by the iPhone 4. Since then, there's hasn't been a single legitimate iPhone 4 killer until now imho. I think the Matrix has a legitimate claim to the title, atleast until the iPhone 5 is unveiled six months from now.

Get ready to eat your words. Dual core A9 processors offer vastly superior battery life to single core processors. And they are already showing up in smartphones. Apple would have to be downright incompetent not to include one in the iPhone 5.

And Apple is anything but incompetent. When July comes by, Apple will hop on the dual core train and lay claim to a 9-10 hr battery life 3G talk time and wifi internet use in their next iPhone. Switching to a Super AMOLED screen would also conserve battery life, while vastly improving the color vibrancy, so it's probable that Apple wants to do this as well. They didn't last year because AMOLED was in short supply. Now, the supply issue is not as bad.

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Why doubt? You don't know anything, nor do the rest of us.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks cool, but what are all of those accessories going to cost?

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

what exactly do you consider "killing" your own personal opinion of specs? or sales? because I dont think any one of those devices on its own has outsold any of the iphone releases.

14. wikoogle, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

What do sales have to do with anything. A product can be superior to another product, and yet not manage to outsell due to sheer timing.

The term iPhone Killer is a personal opinion. I personally believe that the Driod X/HTC Incredible/Evo 4G are superior products to the 3GS, and I would prefer them over the 3GS any day of the week. So these phones were all iPhone killers in some respect. Up till the Matrix though, there wasn't any smartphone I prefered to the iPhone 4.

But if you do want to go by sales for some reason...

Once the Driod X/Incredible/2 came out, on a week to week basis, they consistently outsold the iPhone 3GS. More importantly, the Driod phones sucked up all of the press time, and were raved about in reviews, and consistently beat the 3GS when paired off against it in reviews, benchmarks, specs and overall performance. So yes, the Driod phones killed the iPhone 3GS in sales once they were released. Then the iPhone 4 came out and it started all over again. There hasn't been a true competitor since, until now.

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The Motorola Atrix seems the first phone to have it all. This puts the iPhone to shame in many areas.

Well have to wait for more in depth reviews, but if it's as good as it appears, here I come.

16. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Almost all. I'm not sure if it has a hdmi out. If it does, then it would be perfect.

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You can put desktop specs on it, in the end, it's still running Android.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

My thoughts as well. Though if palm doesn't come close to this with their announcement on the 9th, I may upgrade my second line from a pre plus to this.

It does have an HDMI out.

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I gotta agree with bigjnyc, the term 'iPhone killer', and its predecessor, the 'iPod killer', has been thrown around since like 2005 at mp3 player and smartphone that wasn't a complete piece of crap. I think saying it's been used to describe dozens, if not hundreds, of devices is not at all out of line; and did ANY of those devices make a real splash on the marketplace? No.

Whether you're talking about sales, market share, developer base, 3rd party accessories/compatibility, or simply the device's long-term viability, none has really been able to compete with the iPod/iPhone.

You say it's a personal opinion but the implication of the term 'killer' would seem to imply that it's going to destroy, or at least overwhelm, the 'killed' product in the marketplace. Not one device has done this, and I think you'd be hard pressed to point out a product that has.

It's not enough that it may have outsold the iPhone for a few weeks, or even months, before the new iPhone came out. To be a 'killer' it would have to sustain those numbers until it was the dominant phone in the marketplace. And I think we can all agree that with the Atrix isn't going to do that. At least, anyone who's been paying attention to Apple's rise to dominance over the last 10 years. (On a separate note, can you believe the iPod was released 10 years ago?).

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

People still don't understand what makes iPhone the best phone in the whole universe??? Really???

It's the iOS and a variety of apps!!! Can't you get this by now????

It also means that there will never be an iPhone killer. Mark my words.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

iPhone was cool three years ago.

22. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Mark my words. The term _____ killer is always a personal opinion. A piece of electronic can not objectively kill another electronic device. It's all to the user's opinion what device kills what.

And in my personal opinion, there already was an iPhone 3G killer, and iPhone 3GS killer, and it looks awfully likely that the Motorola Atrix will kill the iPhone 4. And I'm sure that there's many other people for whom this phone may well prove to be the iPhone 4 killer they've been waiting for.

23. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I've heard the term "iPhone killer" since August of '07, and hasn't happened yet.

However, all the competition is good :)

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I agree, only Stevy can kill the iPhone. It willalways have its fans whether or not it is up to par with others.

That Motorola Atrix is just the first of many dual core Android phones that will be out before the iP5 hits the street. Im not a Motorola fan and wont get that one because Motorola makes it hard to use different ROMs, but the are prompt with their updates.

I hate that Samsung is slow with that but they are easy to make ROMs for and should be many to choose from.

25. lilo777 macrumors 603

It did happen you just did not notice. Android phones now outsell iPhone. Obviously, with so many Android phones no single phone can outsell iPhone but it may cause gradual demise of iPhone. Apple sticking with a single iOS phone model is a deliberate marketing strategy. This creates extra buzz and fervent following. If Apple were releasing different iOS phones ,say, every quarter. People would stop paying attention to it. That said, iPhone might be a single most popular phone but the strategy may eventually kill the platform.