Another nail in Flash's coffin

Discussion in 'iPad' started by radiogoober, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Pandora has rebuilt it's front-end in super fast HTML5, dropping support for antiquated Flash.

http://www.pandora.com/newpandora

Another nail in Flash's coffin. The more that this happens, the better.

I still stand by my statement: any competing mobile OS that brags about supporting Flash is in fact advertising a negative feature. Flash is a step backwards and supporting Flash is merely a diversion so people can overlook your poorly designed OS. Concentrate on the user experience and quit trying to tack on "features" that are really just distractors.

2. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

I believe Pandora's days are numbered.. Especially with the huge cloud streaming service and the push by the subscription based streaming music services...;)

3. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Unless all these video streaming sites abandon Flash completely right now, I don't see Flash dying any time soon. What's wrong with supporting a widely adopted "feature"?
    You talk about user experience, well my experience is that I cannot watch gamespot.com videos on my iPad, for example. Your point?

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Why is the lack of a feature better than giving the user the ability to turn it on or off? Look wireless is the future, like wireless charging on the touchpad or wireless streaming to you're tv or stereo with air play, or wireless syncing through wifi, but the touchpad still has a USB port to charge, the iPhone still has a component adaptor and dock port to sync. Just because something is the future doesn't mean it's good when the old tech is still standard and you completely abandon it.

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

For the same reason we don't all drive car-planes.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Let's just be honest. There's no reason Apple couldn't give the users the ability to turn Flash on/off. But, by not including any Flash capabilities whatsoever, they're singlehandedly accelerating Flash's demise. Most web developers I speak to these days will advise their clients not to use any Flash components in their websites.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't see much to celebrate here.

some of us need to use flash sites, and apple's lack of support continues to be a serious drawback, and as much as i love the pad, i am seriously considering competitors for my next upgrade. some web developers will respond to the pressure (pandora) and others, especially ones outside the us and not in the entertainment industry, will not. it sucks, because i don't want to use flash, and it sucks even more because i can't with the ipad, but it tragically sucks that i still have to. i doubt i am alone :(

is it technically difficult to put in a toggle? no. is it ideologically difficult? yes. i guess i should thank (?) steve for micromanaging my life with his obscure obsessions.

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

You apparently have not experienced the wonder of iSwifter. Why don't you look that up on the App Store and see if that helps your cause with Flash websites.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

When people turn it on, they will piss and moan that the device is crap and can't handle flash. Why would Apple compromise the functionality of their iDevices for the sake of a few.

25 Million people who have bought the iPad alone are probably "Meh" with it not having flash.

10. palpatine, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

great advice. i encourage everyone to give it a try. i think someone on these forums recommended it to me a while ago. unfortunately, it didn't work for all the sites. it seems to be hit or miss.

yes. i just love this argument. the intellectual and emotional immaturity of the many outweighs the maturity of the few, or the one. a classic justification used to support a whole host of activities that take choice out of the hands of the consumers.

it isn't an argument i have heard apple make. i've only heard consumers make it to explain why it is better that they not be given any power. thankfully, other developers like google do not seem to share the low esteem you have for your fellow consumers.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

haha. boo hoo.

I personally like the way Apple operate. I know exactly what i am getting when I purchase their products and should have no complaints when it doesn't do x or y.

12. palpatine, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

more like bah, bah. the bleating of sheep is like music to steve's ears :)

i like a lot of the things about how apple operates. i know exactly what i am getting. i would know that if there was a toggle switch too. i will complain when they provide a device that has been deliberately designed to restrict my activities (the tyranny of itunes, the lack of usb connectivity, the lack of flash, etc) and force me into their procrustean bed. apple wasn't always like this, you know, and i don't enjoy bowing to the whims of one man who wants to go out and tilt at windmills like flash.

the ipad is the best tablet device on the market today, and i have an affinity for apple products (ishuffle, ipod, ipad, macbook pro, etc.). but, tomorrow? i don't know where the pad will be in the lineup. the lack of flash is one more reason for me to reward manufacturers who are less restrictive.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Why isn't there a "face palm" smiley on this site?

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

in my post that last line was the one that got the face palm? well, to each his own.

steve isn't going to change his mind about restricting my experience, and if there is a competitor willing to give me more freedom outside the apple miniverse, and they can offer me a comparable experience (no one yet, but we are getting there), then i don't know why i would keep paying steve to bind me in ropes, drip hot wax on my... oh, wait a second, steve only doesn't want that kind of stuff in his store either so i had better banish the thought :)

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I'm sure Facebook or Youtube has done something as well because last week most of the Youtube video's which were posted on Facebook never used to play on my iPad and used to say flash is needed but now they play fine in the browser.

16. radiogoober thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh my god. How on earth is not missing Flash a sign of "intellectual and emotional immaturity" and "low self esteem"?

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

The answer: Only in a bizarre world in which you take my words out of context. I was responding to the quote.

Not missing flash is totally cool. I don't have any issue with that.

I am simply pointing out that some people still use flash (by choice or not) and while you are celebrating the demise of a platform for developers and calling support for that platform a negative feature that is somehow being used to mask a low-quality OS is viewed by others (like myself) as an attempt to support consumers.

i won't miss flash when it is gone. but it is still here. and, i like it when companies design for both the present and the future instead of just for the future.

18. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Its been around since the 90's and the websites who support flash are legion.

What do you think will happen? That thousands of websites will immediately do a complete re-write of their html just for ipad users?

No, they will just do a user-agent forward to their mobile site.

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I don't care who you are, that there is funny.

you silly.

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

seems someone is prone to hyperbole'

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This is history repeating itself.

Years ago, Steve Jobs didn't want to put arrow keys on Apple keyboards. This kept Macs exclusive and forced developers to choose platforms. Eventually he gave in on this and added the arrow keys, but I don't think Flash is going to go the same way as the arrow keys. I think it's going to go more how the omission of floppies went.

Because of the immense popularity of iOS, and the tendency of its users to actually buy content instead of always using free apps, developers and websites are already choosing iOS as the more lucrative platform. And that platform doesn't support Flash. If you want your content to be usable on iOS, ditch Flash. That simple.

What's in it for Apple? Not just good battery life in their devices. They also get more of your money. You can't go on websites and play free flash games anymore--you have to go to the app store and buy them. It's the old saying--if you want the truth, follow the money.

22. JeepGuy macrumors regular

You guys completely miss why Steve, doesn't want Flash, it's not about video, it's not about web sites, it's about allowing Flash programs to run that circumvent the app store, it would in essence create an OS container within iOS to run other programs, and Steve can't control that, or gain any revenue. In the end it's about profit and control.

23. JeepGuy macrumors regular

Spiderman0616 gets it

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

:) I hate Flash for my own reasons, but they're nowhere NEAR the same reasons that Steve Jobs hates Flash.

25. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats because he's spiderman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.