Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think a better and more functional design would be to have the flash ring around the outside of the entire camera housing itself, just inside the bump. Larger surface area means higher output, more diffuse flash for better photos, a lack of background shadows for each lens as they would all be within the ring light, and a more stylish flash appearance that effectively blends into the design.

The weird square one shown off the other day looks like some garbage that even Samsung wouldn’t be caught dead releasing. This one is more more elegant and refined. I like it, and I like that it’s centered. But I do have to wonder if the reasoning behind the square design has to do with lens offset for better calculating depth maps. This new arrangement looks nicer but doesn’t have offset in both X and Y axis, just X when in portrait.

Reactions: StoneJack

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I've bought the new iPhone every year since the 4, only skipping 2018's Xs (they have priced me out of yearly upgrades), and am planning to buy 2019's, assuming they don't pull the rubbish move of only giving the better camera setup to the larger sized phone.
If that is the case, I'll save some money and buy a Xs at a discount price once the new one comes out. Main reason for upgrade will be the eSIM anyway, can't wait to have a single phone with my 2 lines!!

Reactions: GuruZac

Kiorr

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2017
Great! So now you have to balancing even more when its on the table

svenning

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Los Angeles
while the volume buttons are on the left side of the device and the power button is on the right, in line with current devices.
Can we please move the power button back on top. I can’t count how many times I’ve either shut off my phone when I wanted to adjust the volume or accidentally taking a screenshot. I’m realizing that I actually care more about that than where the camera sits (although this looks nice than the previous render. Also no camera bump please)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
iphone_2019_triple_rear_render.jpg
I like that the notch is a little smaller and the camera is centered on this render.....

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I just don't believe spec improvements in the camera, speed of the iOS, even the battery life will attract new buyers or cause current iPhone users to upgrade in masses. Most people are pretty happy with their phones and these incremental changes, just don't justify the additional cost of upgrading. The one thing that always will get people excited and to upgrade is a major design change but Apple doesn't seem to see this and the iPhones each year are so similar (especially to the non-tech people who make up most of the consumers).

Reactions: SRLMJ23

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
I’d like a 2019 iPad design iPhone, with USB-C.

For bezels, that'd be a step backwards from the current almost-"edge to edge" displays on the X series of iPhones. But its antenna line and squared edges would be nice. I kinda miss the square edges from when I had a 5s.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I have yet to meet someone that upgrades because of a camera...

5G, faster processor, better battery life please.

Phones are about as fast as they can get. I don't notice my xs max being any faster than my 7plus was. Hell the only reason I upgraded to the 7plus at the time was to get the dual cameras. having a zoom camera is a huge selling point for me. And 5G is a waste of time unless you live in a major city like NY. Hell I barely get 4g speeds from t-mobile in CT...

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I paid over $1150 for my iPhone X and now XS. If they go back to the old BS of only putting the best camera in the "Plus/Max" model they can take the premium and shove it. I'll buy a next generation XR before they get premium money out of me for an iPhone that is 2nd best just because I'm unwilling to carry what is basically a mini-iPad in my pocket. Not that I have a strong opinion on it...

Reactions: SRLMJ23 and CamiMR

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Still has that ugly notch....Maybe in 2020 they will find a way to get rid of it.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Much nicer than the square bolted on to the back of the other concept. I’m still unconvinced that we need triple lens cameras yet. For the most part, the single lens Pixel 3 takes as good or better pics than nearly all dual and triple lens cameras out now, including the iPhones in some shots. Computational photography will play a much bigger role rather than ever expanding hardware. The biggest thing to happen to smartphone photography in the last 3 years is the ability to shoot portrait mode, which achieved with single lens cameras.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Isn't it confirmed (by ex-Apple employees) that the hardware and design decisions were made and locked down years before its release? i.e this is all fake (big surprise).

VinnyP

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Staten Island

Multiple rumors have suggested at least one of the 2019 iPhone models will feature a triple-lens camera design, but smartphone leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer (aka OnLeaks) believes Apple is still finalizing just what the triple-lens design will look like.

Earlier this month, Hemmerstoffer shared one possible prototype design featuring a square-shaped camera layout, and today, he's teamed up with Indian site CompareRaja to show us another design that Apple is allegedly working on.

iphone_2019_triple_both_render.jpg

The new renders feature an iPhone with a slimmed down notch for the front-facing camera and TrueDepth system, along with a triple-lens rear camera positioned in the center of the device.

The camera features three lenses in a horizontal arrangement, with a flash located around the middle of the three lenses. A microphone is located below, while the volume buttons are on the left side of the device and the power button is on the right, in line with current devices.

iphone_2019_triple_side_render.jpg

According to Hemmerstoffer and CompareRaja, this set of renderings, along with the previous set that featured a larger square-shaped camera layout are both "100% legit prototypes."

The three iPhones planned for 2019 are "still in the EVT stage," aka the Engineering Validation Test, with Apple allegedly having yet to decide on a design. The site suggests either both leaked prototypes will be used and marketed as different models, or one of the leaked prototypes will be axed.

Current rumors sourced from The Wall Street Journal suggest only one iPhone will feature a triple-lens camera setup - the next-generation iPhone XS Max. The next-generation iPhone XS and the next-generation iPhone XR will continue to use dual-lens cameras, with Apple reserving the triple-lens setup for its highest-end device.

It's not clear if these renderings are accurate depictions of the iPhone design Apple might use in 2019, nor do we know if Apple is still attempting to decide on a final look, but Hemmerstoffer has a track record of sourcing accurate information from Apple's supply chain.

At this point in time, no other source has commented on the triple-lens camera layout Apple might use, so we'll need to wait for further leaks to get a clearer picture of how Apple plans to implement a three-lens design.

Article Link: Another Possible Triple-Lens Camera Design in 2019 iPhone Shown Off in Renderings
When it comes to new tech Apple would be first to admit they now come second.

But when it comes to renderings and maybes _ then theyre second to none.

'Apple: Imagine The Possibilities'

This is the one I'd definitely upgrade for!
[doublepost=1547603827][/doublepost]

Multiple rumors have suggested at least one of the 2019 iPhone models will feature a triple-lens camera design, but smartphone leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer (aka OnLeaks) believes Apple is still finalizing just what the triple-lens design will look like.

Earlier this month, Hemmerstoffer shared one possible prototype design featuring a square-shaped camera layout, and today, he's teamed up with Indian site CompareRaja to show us another design that Apple is allegedly working on.

iphone_2019_triple_both_render.jpg

The new renders feature an iPhone with a slimmed down notch for the front-facing camera and TrueDepth system, along with a triple-lens rear camera positioned in the center of the device.

The camera features three lenses in a horizontal arrangement, with a flash located around the middle of the three lenses. A microphone is located below, while the volume buttons are on the left side of the device and the power button is on the right, in line with current devices.

iphone_2019_triple_side_render.jpg

According to Hemmerstoffer and CompareRaja, this set of renderings, along with the previous set that featured a larger square-shaped camera layout are both "100% legit prototypes."

The three iPhones planned for 2019 are "still in the EVT stage," aka the Engineering Validation Test, with Apple allegedly having yet to decide on a design. The site suggests either both leaked prototypes will be used and marketed as different models, or one of the leaked prototypes will be axed.

Current rumors sourced from The Wall Street Journal suggest only one iPhone will feature a triple-lens camera setup - the next-generation iPhone XS Max. The next-generation iPhone XS and the next-generation iPhone XR will continue to use dual-lens cameras, with Apple reserving the triple-lens setup for its highest-end device.

It's not clear if these renderings are accurate depictions of the iPhone design Apple might use in 2019, nor do we know if Apple is still attempting to decide on a final look, but Hemmerstoffer has a track record of sourcing accurate information from Apple's supply chain.

At this point in time, no other source has commented on the triple-lens camera layout Apple might use, so we'll need to wait for further leaks to get a clearer picture of how Apple plans to implement a three-lens design.

Article Link: Another Possible Triple-Lens Camera Design in 2019 iPhone Shown Off in Renderings

I want that one!!

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I like this design a lot, I have always wanted the Camera lens to be in centre rather than corners. But pricing...

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
The only thing that will upset me about the next iPhone is if it has under the screen touch ID (and of course facetime)... I'm going to be livid then after shelling out $1300 for my XS. I really, REALLY miss the home button.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The only thing that will upset me about the next iPhone is if it has under the screen touch ID (and of course facetime)... I'm going to be livid then after shelling out $1300 for my XS. I really, REALLY miss the home button.
It won’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.