Another Report Claims No iPad Air 3 Launching in Near Future

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is expected to announce new iPhones and iPads over the next month or so in preparation for the holiday shopping season, but it remains unclear which iPad models in particular will be unveiled.

It is widely believed that a new iPad mini 4 will be announced, but rumors about the iPad Air 3 and so-called "iPad Pro" and their respective release dates have been inconsistent thus far.

A new report from Taiwanese blog DigiTimes offers some further details, corroborating a previous rumor that Apple is not planning an iPad Air 3 right now and focusing its efforts on the iPad mini 4.

The report claims that Apple's upstream supply chain is readying components for the fourth-generation tablet, noting that it will only have minor upgrades over the current iPad mini. Recent reports suggest the upcoming 7.9-inch tablet will likely be a slimmed down version of the iPad Air 2 and support split-view multitasking.

DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, so its latest report should be treated with a proverbial grain of salt. Moreover, the more reliable Japanese blog Mac Otakara reported in July that an A9-based iPad Air 3 is still possible for 2015, so Apple's roadmap remains unclear and could change between now and the forthcoming iPhone and iPad event.

Apple has faced six consecutive quarters of declining iPad sales year-over-year as the broader tablet market continues to decline.

Article Link: Another Report Claims No iPad Air 3 Launching in Near Future

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The bonus here is that I can feel good about my iPad Air 2, its age and hopefully about it not being coded into extension as fast. I use it daily but don't need/want to buy another for quite some time unless its for someone else.

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Something new and revolutionary is definitely needed in the iPad. Incremental updates aren't even worth it.

4. w00tini macrumors 6502a

the hardware is fine... it is the software (and 3p software solutions) that need the loving. iOS9 will help, and if latest reports about Apple partnering with various corps/industries about more specific applications is accurate, i sense they may be on the right path long-term

5. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

iPads need wider screens... They absolutely suck for watching movies or other video content thats shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Your 9.7" screen becomes like 7" because all you see is black bars...

6. macjoshua macrumors 6502

I'm ready to replace my iPad 3, but unless they do something truly new with the iPad rather than just a spec bump and 'thinner', I'll just stick with using my iPhone more often and leave the iPad in my desk drawer.

7. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I don't see a need. My iPad Air 2 is crazy powerful for a tablet. I bet it probably could run OS X if it had some more RAM.

8. odditie macrumors 6502

Seems possible they are making iPad like Mac and giving it updates when necessary. Either that or they might be planning to start doing two year upgrade cycles by having the Air updated one year and Mini the next with the same quality specs.

9. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

iPads last too long. People just don't upgrade them that often.

10. Alex Moran macrumors member

The iPad pro needs to happen. Well for me that is. Seems like I'm in minority though. The key to it for my needs is a proper fully integrated stylus for taking notes and drawings.

11. Sloppy.Joe macrumors regular

Sloppy.Joe

I have a 3rd generation iPad and I'm not tempted in the least to upgrade. On the other hand, i upgrade iPhones every two years. And with the upcoming iPhone 6s Plus, my ipad mini curiosity is likely to be quenched.

12. profets macrumors 601

With the 9.7" iPad getting at least an annual update, it would seem weird at this point for no changes to happen (not that it needs it, but more for marketing and to spur sales a bit).

Funny how they've never really followed a predictable pattern like iPhones have (tick tock). Original iPad, then iPad 2, 3rd, 4th gens carrying the same design, iPad Air going to a new design and then Air 2 quickly updating that design by going thinner.

13. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

But for almost everything else, the 4:3 aspect ratio is better.

14. jsalda macrumors regular

jsalda

Isn't this a contradiction? How can it have minor upgrades and be a slimmed down version of the iPad Air 2?

I hope it is a smaller version of the Air 2. My wife's Gen1 Mini is painfully slow in iOS 8 and I'm tired of hearing about it. If it's a Mini Air 2, I'll be buying one on launch day.

15. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I personally think that Apple should now focus on the software. With iOS 9 they make a huge step to take advantage of the big canvas of the iPads. But they could go a step further. And I hope to see more of this before (or along with) the release of the iPad Pro or any newer regular iPad.

16. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

17. Uncle_Barry macrumors newbie

Uncle_Barry

"MY FRIEND MY FRIEND! When is de next iPad 4 coming out? When is de iphone 7 coming out?"

18. windwalker macrumors newbie

This rumour is most likely wrong.
    No new model on top of slowing sales would be an extremely strong indication of abandonment of the tablet market by Apple. That is incompatible with well-known strong statements and actions like the IBM partnership.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

still very happy with air1, but I am very interested in a 'pro' style model

20. Ferazel macrumors regular

Hopefully, these rumors are false and it is just because the case-makers that leak all of the new hardware don't have new information because the dimensions are the same. There are a lot of advantages to a A9 version of the GPU that includes tessellation.

21. windwalker macrumors newbie

If you want a tablet primarily for watching video, just buy an Android tablet. They have screens with your desired aspect ratio and are cheaper.

22. jsalda macrumors regular

jsalda

Me too, and iOS 9 should keep it humming for a while.

23. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

bought an iPad air 2 for my wife but can't justify it for myself, still using my retina 3rd gen.

24. braintumor macrumors regular

Come on Apple, make it happen!!... I want to replace my ageing iPad2 with an iPad Pro

25. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Not everyone's primary need is watching videos, 4:3 is better for almost everything else.