Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
iPad numbers are falling. I doubt Apple stands by and focuses on the Mini when it crosses the iPhone6+ arena.

Unless they enlarge the mini size and ditch the current ipad size and replace it with the larger Pro size...

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
When Apple offers an operating system upgrade to their mobile devices without allowing the ability to revert back to the previous version (beyond the few day window after initial release), when the upgrade degrades performance, when a security fix is added to both the current version and newer version of the OS but requiring devices capable of update to update, could certainly justify the obsolescence claim. If you take issue with the use of the word "obsolescence" what word would you use for such behavior?

That's a very good point, and Apple are certainly guilty of this. The performance of some older devices running current software would be unacceptable to me, to the point where I couldn't stomach using them. However, the majority of them still work as intended, albeit slowly and sometimes less stable.

It's a tricky one. Update older devices with security fixes and the latest OS upgrade minus new, key features, and degrade performance. Or, completely abandon older devices, leave security flaws vulnerable, albeit to the benefit of the performance of older devices.

There's no correct answer here unfortunately, but there's two solutions that Apple conveniently ignores - as you say, the ability to downgrade OS version. Alternatively, Apple could still issue security fixes for older OS's without the need to upgrade. Unfortunately, Apple aren't interested in doing either of these things, so obsessed are they at massaging the numbers so it appears the majority of their active, sold devices run the current OS. I see how their inaction on these two points could be construed as planned obsolescence.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
people who has iPad Air 2 bet on no Air 3 this year.
people who's going to buy iPad this year vouch for iPad Air 3 coming.

There is a pattern I am seeing here...

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
If this was true, the following would not be considered innovation:

• Touch ID for incredible advancements in security. Agreed
  • Larger screens on iPhones to make reading/watching/viewing content easier, nicer and better. Not Apple innovation
  • iOS 8 & 9 advancements in vital features such as overall stability, continuity across all Apple devices, & multitasking. This is standard and expected from everyone. But I guess some if you see this as innovation, just like android upgrades.
  • Massive improvements with Maps and Transit coming shortly. Is it? Ok. Guess using my google maps app on my iOS is unexpected.
  • Fresh software and hardware designs under the direction of Jony Ive that match Apple's approach when it comes to design. Hate Jony? Then hate Steve, they were proclaimed best (and spiritual) friends in life. Fresh is subjective. Then again, other mobile operating systems also attemp the fresh route.
  • Apple Pay across iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch to vastly improve security when it comes to making any kind of purchases. Apple Pay has yet to live past its launch hype. I only saw it in the news on launch day. Have yet to hear about how it has changed the industry. In fact, I Pharr the other day that people want Apple pay but prefer using Apple Watch (if it ever comes to there) instead of digging in their pockets for their phone.
  • Health app, Apple Watch Activity & Workout apps to improve the overall health and lives of users. It was out there before Apple. They gave you a rehashed version.
  • Apple Music to make listening to what you want to, when you'd like to an absolute breeze without burning your wallet to a crisp. There are other streaming apps that to the average consumer, this is just another option. Nothing innovative if you ask me.
And damn, I could go on and on and on for hours. I won't waste my time though, and I'm sure I've missed an insane amount of hugely important innovative enhancements that Apple's taken on since October of 2011.

Steve's dead, but Apple is laughably not.

My comments are above and I guess you can continue going on and in. I can too but then again, who's listening.

fruitninja

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2014
Sorry, I didn't read through all this, but when can we expect an updated iPad Air 3, 9.7" ? Early 2016 or late 2016 only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.