Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
I highly doubt this rumor is more than just that: a rumor. I can't see Apple abandoning their flagship lineup of iPad. Nor have they have ever gone a year without a new iteration; in fact, they did even do the iPad 3 & iPad 4 in the same year. [/logic]

Apple should release an iPad Mini and an iPad Pro.

The 9.7" tablet isn't needed when you have a 7.9" one and a 12" one.
And vice versa: The 12" tablet isn't needed when you have a 9.7" one.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
This makes absolutely no sense to me. For the 1st time Apple is paying some attention to iPads through the upcoming release of iOS 9. This new release will only run on the iPad Air 2 - that's it one iPad iteration ONLY.

Does that seem like good planning by Apple - an all new iOS 9 with a UI targeted to iPads and it'll only be used on a year old iPad version.

Give your heads a collective shake.

What are you going on about? I have no clue how you can come away thinking iOS 9 will only work on the Air 2, you're confusing split screen multitasking with general availability of the OS. Reading is fundamental man.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I have the original Air, it does exactly what I need it to so even if there were a new iPad this year, not sure I would upgrade. Apple should release products when there is something compelling to offer, that may not necessarily mean every year.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I highly doubt this rumor is more than just that: a rumor. I can't see Apple abandoning their flagship lineup of iPad. Nor have they have ever gone a year without a new iteration; in fact, they did even do the iPad 3 & iPad 4 in the same year. [/logic]

And vice versa: The 12" tablet isn't needed when you have a 9.7" one.

Except the 12 inch will be a pro tablet and not just a regular one.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
But for almost everything else, the 4:3 aspect ratio is better.

Yeah, I'd prefer they stick with the 4:3 ratio.. at least for the regular models. The screen is large enough that viewing 16:9 content is comfortable with a letterbox + it's kinda fun watching old tv shows and films in the old 4:3 format full screen.

There's actually still a lot iOS and developers can do to make Air 2 more powerful. Most apps aren't taking full advantage of its resources yet.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
This would require they re-write all iOS apps. That's not going to happen. They have the reasons they have for using the current screen sizes and I don't see them changing all of it just so a couple people can watch videos a little better.
The re-writing of apps because of screen changes shouldn't be necessary now - IF the developers are using the technologies that were introduced since IOS 6.

https://developer.apple.com/library...iOS8.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014205-SW44

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
"Apple has faced six consecutive quarters of declining iPad sales year-over-year as the broader tablet market continues to decline".

Why? Because iOS is closed, is not fully compatible with Mac and is a toy.

Apple should make a true Mac tablet.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
The iPad pro needs to happen. Well for me that is. Seems like I'm in minority though. The key to it for my needs is a proper fully integrated stylus for taking notes and drawings.

You may be in the minority, but you are not alone. I'm with you on this.

Reactions: flur

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The iPad line-up is probably going to see 2-year refreshes instead of 1-year, similar to that of the iPod touch line-up. The tablet market isn't of much priority anymore, I suppose.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
iPads need wider screens... They absolutely suck for watching movies or other video content thats shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Your 9.7" screen becomes like 7" because all you see is black bars...

I have tablets in both aspect ratios. In my opinion, 16:9 on a tablet is far better for viewing 16:9 content, so on that I agree with you.

But it's a mixed bag. 16x9 is worse for everything else. It's worse for reading books, viewing web pages, and playing games. Note that the Microsoft Surface actually went from 16:9 to 3:2, the exact opposite of what you are proposing needs to be done, and virtually everyone thinks that is an improvement.

As a home theater enthusiast, I wouldn't watch a movie on a tablet anyway, so I'm quite happy with the iPad's aspect ratio.

The iPad line-up is probably going to see 2-year refreshes instead of 1-year, similar to that of the iPod touch line-up. The tablet market isn't of much priority anymore, I suppose.

With iPad sales falling fast, that sounds a lot like giving up. Sure there isn't much potential left in iPod sales, but I still feel like the tablet market is young.

If anything, they need to make the new models compelling again. Retina and the thin/light treatment were compelling features in the past, but we have that now so Apple needs similar compelling features moving forward. For example I do really miss wireless charging like the HP TouchPad had.

Last edited:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
The iPad category is now 'mature' like MacBooks, this year we'll see -
- 32GB base model, so 32/64/128.
- Battery life improving to 15 hours.
- The Mini back on the same processor and RAM as the Air.

My outside bet -
An iPad Pro will get Force Touch and an 'inib/ipencil and be 11.9'. It'll launch in November but be announced at the Same event.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yes to the first sentence.

No to the second.
Uh, you certainly didn't understand at all what I meant. I was just saying that incremental updates to the iPad aren't necessarily worth it to a person with a capable iPad. Even people with iPad 2 still don't see a need to upgrade to iPad Air 2. The updates are too incremental to cause excitement. That's just one of the reasons iPad sales are becoming stagnant.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
What are you going on about? Reading is fundamental man.

"Split View is an iPad Air 2 exclusive feature that is a more powerful version of Slide Over, and is the fully-fledged split-screen multitasking we've been waiting for."

"iPad Air 2 is the only iPad that can do Split View because of the A8X processor AND 2GB RAM."

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
So if no new iPad Air 3, how about a reduced price iPad Air 2???
And that's the question. There is nothing in the App store that's even pushing the iPad 4 (A6x) processor.

Does it make sense for Apple to spend resources when a) folks are not upgrading and b) all software is being written for A5 devices?

I'll take more power for the same price but its a question of what Apple wants to do.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The ipad air 2 might be the best tablet on the market so they don’t need to upgrade it this year. I got my air 2 a month ago and i love it. Best tablet i’ve had and I don’t see the need to upgrade it every year.

I expect apple bring the next air next year...people aren’t as likely to upgrade ipads every year like with phones

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
With the 9.7" iPad getting at least an annual update, it would seem weird at this point for no changes to happen (not that it needs it, but more for marketing and to spur sales a bit).

Funny how they've never really followed a predictable pattern like iPhones have (tick tock). Original iPad, then iPad 2, 3rd, 4th gens carrying the same design, iPad Air going to a new design and then Air 2 quickly updating that design by going thinner.

iPads really don't need to have aggressive upgrades, as there just aren't many ways, or need, to improve them, compared to some of the other products. There are faster processors, but that matters nowhere near as much as it does for a Mac. There are weight and battery longevity, but those matter far less than they do for an iPhone (at least once the Air came out). Better cameras don't matter so much, as relatively few people use tablet cameras. There is little need to introduce new connectors to support the latest interface standards. There's rarely anything you can put your finger on that makes an older generation obsolete. I have a pre-Air iPad; and other than the weight, it's just fine. Really the only reason to buy a new iPad these days is if you have a need for a specific form factor or the old one breaks. Obsolescence doesn't play so much.

Reactions: flur

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
This rumour is most likely wrong.
No new model on top of slowing sales would be an extremely strong indication of abandonment of the tablet market by Apple. That is incompatible with well-known strong statements and actions like the IBM partnership.
The problem I have with this rumor is I believe Apple wants force touch on virtually everything by the end of the year. So I'd expect an iPad Air 3 by at least November.

Also, I like the suggestion I've read elsewhere that the Pro may be more like a Microsoft Surface. That sounds like the right direction for Apple to go. It could essentially be the first touch-screen Mac. It would also fit in with their plan to expand their footprint within the corporate market.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
iPads need wider screens... They absolutely suck for watching movies or other video content thats shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Your 9.7" screen becomes like 7" because all you see is black bars...
You mean taller, right? Wider would give you more black bars. (The height is 9.4 inches on an iPad).

Unless they change the aspect ratio of the screen, you've video is always going to suck with black bars.

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.