Another Shattered iPhone 4 screen (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nickel Dime Bay, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

Well i was walking and i had the iPhone in my shirt pocket, i noticed that my pant leg was dragging a bit on the ground and i bent over to tuck it in and BAM it falls out and hits concrete. Still works like a champ though. Do i need to make a genius appointment for it? or can i just show up and see if they can replace it? Hope i dont have to shell out the 200.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Absolem macrumors regular

what kind of dork puts their phone in their shirt pocket. Also, put a case on it next time like an NGP and use your pocket like everyone else.

You will have to pay the $200, if this was within the first 2 months you might of been lucky but the whole media fiasco is over.

3. Nickel Dime Bay thread starter macrumors regular

it was just for a split second, i never keep it in there but this time it slipped my mind and well this is what happened. I have a bumper but again i took it off the other day and i had a power support hd but it was messed up so i took that off too. Oh well, could be worse if they dont replace it free i wouldnt mind droppin $200 i love this phone. Just wanted to share the pics

4. Ever34 macrumors regular

Dork???? Kinda harsh don't think.

However op...I don't see why you would expect a FREE replacement

5. Nickel Dime Bay thread starter macrumors regular

Im not expecting a free one but ive heard a lot of success stories about apple helping people out thats all.

6. Ever34 macrumors regular

Fair enough. Good luck

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

bumper for the win, its saved me from this accident several tims

ive had this happen to me a few times ( usually after running 36 hours without sleep)
    \

make an appointment, don't just walk in
    go in explain what happened and expect to pay $199

worst case scenario you pay $199
    best case you get a cool genius and possible a free one time replacement

8. calvy macrumors 65816

And then there's me, who with the bumper on, had the exact same thing happen, a 2 ft fall and shattered the back glass. This was in week 1. I went to my local apple store without an appointment and just talked to the first guy in the blue shirt that greeted me at the entrance to the store. He did all the paperwork and everything for me. And yes, I was lucky and got it replaced for free. I mentioned that the thing shattered with the stupid bumper on, and I think that was the kicker for him to get me a new one no charge.

However, don't expect it.

9. Nickel Dime Bay thread starter macrumors regular

Thats great! Hope they do it for me too

10. Nickel Dime Bay thread starter macrumors regular

Should i unjailbreak my phone when i take it in? or can i just turn it off and take it?

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Umm, really? I keep my iPhone 4 in my shirt pocket most of the time at work.

To the OP, sorry to see your broken phone. There have been several cases where people have walked out the Apple store with a replacement free of charge. Keep us posted on how it goes.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

12. bri1212 macrumors 6502

No, you had better unjailbreak your phone, no reason to push your luck

Good luck

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have been dumb enough to stick mine in the shirt pocket on my scrubs when I have full pants pockets. I of course forgot it was there and bent over and it fell out.

However, I have asked a lot of people with i4s if they have dropped them yet. I usually get a yes and then I ask if it held up. Every one looked at me funny and said "yeah". I guess it's just the ones that manage to fully break it that hop on the internet to tell us about it. No offense to the OP but it's the trend.

14. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

What makes you think they will replace it without you having to pay the $200 out of warranty replacement?:rolleyes:

15. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I'm sorry, but you do have to fork over $200 to Apple

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

that sucks. I keep my iPhone in my shirt pocket sometimes as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Just caught the pants leg part. Was thinking you must've been bent pretty far over. Sucks, good luck.

My approach would be to go in there and just explain what happened. See what they offer as an option rather then asking.

17. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

if that happen to my iphone i would have a reason to convert to white :D
    use a case next time..i always use a case when im out and about and very careful....all it takes is one drop..good luck fixing it:apple:

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

This happened to me I bent over and it fell from only about a foot and a half, onto a flat garage floor. No damage just slight scuff on the corner. Sorry bout that brosiff.

19. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Depends on your personal views - I take being called as a term of endearment as dorks, geeks and nerds make the world go 'round, and wear it as a badge of honour. I take pride in knowing a lot about gadgets, and I genuinely like Star Trek.

On the other hand, I'm 1.95m tall and weigh 116kg, so people don't often call me names :p

20. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

don't get it replaced right away.....

keep it for a month or two, it will be a daily reminder of your mistake. Trust me brother, I did the same thing & now I am cautious of it. No matter how intoxicated I am, I always make sure it is in my pocket before I let it leave my hand.

Except I had to live with mine for a year because my financial situation wasn't really that great when I had the 2G. Never once have I dropped my 3G or now the 4 (knock on wood)

21. ajax43 macrumors regular

What kind of dork comes up with a statement like that? I put my phone in my shirt pocket. Of course I put my hand over the pocket before I bend over(usually). I always put my phone in my shirt pocket if it has one.

22. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'd love to see Apple refuse service on a shattered screen because it's jailbroken.

23. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

Calm down guys. Make an appoinment at the Genius bar and bring it in. I broke my first IP4 and the Genius swapped it out with out hesitating. He said Apple is currently testing all of the broken IP4s that are coming back. The Genius also informed me that it's too early for them to break and they shouldn't be breaking that easy. Good luck!

24. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

I also have a copy of the work order I can scan. On the work order it states:
    Issue with the device: Broken screen
    Steps taken to duplicate issue: Witnessed screen

25. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

The fact that many of us have had luck with taking an IP4 with a broken front screen into an Apple Store and a Genius swapping it out for a new one. Happened for me last week. I dropped mine with a case on, had a huge diagonal crack on front screen and they did a one time replacement at no cost.

OP, I think you are going to do this, but take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. Never hurts to try.