Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
To be fair, i think (based on no facts) that at least part of what has driven Mac laptop sales is the innovation in the line in the last few years and how far ahead they are of most other laptops in their class. Retina MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and the fact that they seem to actively advertise the MacBook line. The desktops haven't had anywhere near as much attention. No where near as much effort, and definitely no where near as much advertising. The iMac hasn't had a major redesign since 2007, the Mac Pro with the exception of the PowerPC to Intel changeover has not been majorly redesigned since 2003(!). The Mac Mini has seen a little bit more attention with a recent redesign, but nothing groundbreaking. You can't say that the current iMac or Mac Pro is way ahead of any PC in the same price range at the moment can you? The Mac Pro especially!

If Apple really put the same effort and advertising money they put into the iPhone, iPad and Macbook line into the desktop Macs, i think the sales would increase substantially. Introducing them at Keynotes instead of silently updating them wouldn't hurt either! Remember this is the same company that made the iMac G3, G4 and G5 all within 6 years, which were all complete groundbreaking redesigns. So far the current Aluminium design has been around for 5 years. Yes they've brought out bigger screen sizes, but that's about it!

Considering how big Apple is, i really don't understand how they can put so little effort into a part of their market which on its own is a Fortune 500 company.

And the iMac put Apple back on the map.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Pretty sure the iMac DID! :)

Well ... fair enough since iMac is Jobs' first creation since his comeback. The Bondy blue was a remarkable product. But I still think it's the iPod that brings the life out of Apple. It's the iPod that eventually becomes the iPhone, and then iPad. And that's why we get mostly nowadays are iRumors :rolleyes:

Yeah I don't like those junks being overrated either, but Apple is the biggest mobile company in the world. Sad. :(

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
And the iMac put Apple back on the map.

Was that a pun? :p

It just seems odd not to update the iMac.. but then again perhaps they are really waiting because of some production issues with retina display (they perhaps want to introduce a major selling point in the next iMac model for lack of any other innovation apart from spec bumps).

I would like a new iMac and don't really care about Retina display. The current resolution is good enough for the 27 inch display. It would be nice to have, but if it's gonna be much more expensive (just like the MacBook Pro HD) then I would rather get a "regular" one.

As for any sign of "new" models coming out... all iMac models are in stock on the Swiss Apple Store, so no positive sign here! :(

----------

I'm expecting there to be a "Steve Jobs Special Edition" iMac released.

The iMac "boom"?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I hope the 'rumors' of Apple exiting the desktop market are false, not all users want or need a laptop and I don't want a PC as my main work computer!

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Was that a pun? :p

It just seems odd not to update the iMac.. but then again perhaps they are really waiting because of some production issues with retina display (they perhaps want to introduce a major selling point in the next iMac model for lack of any other innovation apart from spec bumps).

I would like a new iMac and don't really care about Retina display. The current resolution is good enough for the 27 inch display. It would be nice to have, but if it's gonna be much more expensive (just like the MacBook Pro HD) then I would rather get a "regular" one.

As for any sign of "new" models coming out... all iMac models are in stock on the Swiss Apple Store, so no positive sign here! :(

----------

The iMac "boom"?

No :confused: .

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I hope the 'rumors' of Apple exiting the desktop market are false, not all users want or need a laptop and I don't want a PC as my main work computer!

True, but you can still have a pseudo-desktop experience by plugging in one of their laptops to an external display. All for the low, low price of $3000 if bought from Apple!

It seems to be their big push this year, and possibly where they're headed down the line.

http://www.apple.com/displays/

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
I'm expecting there to be a "Steve Jobs Special Edition" iMac released.

I did suggest the idea on my facebook page but it got turned down. But I must admit that celebrating someone's death (if you meant releasing iMac tomorrow) is a manner of weird taste.

Ok, so when's Steve's birthday? :D

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
True, but you can still have a pseudo-desktop experience by plugging in one of their laptops to an external display. All for the low, low price of $3000 if bought from Apple!

Tried that with a 2012 macbook pro. Dismal performance on the 24" monitor.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Tried that with a 2012 macbook pro. Dismal performance on the 24" monitor.

That's weird, my low-end MacBook Pro 13" from 2010 could drive 24" Full HD external display with no problem. I think all laptops from past 6-10 years have no problem doing it. Check your computer I think something's wrong with it.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
Ho incrociato tutto l'incrociabile, but I'm kind of braced for big disappointment. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I'm ready to purchase, though. :)

Tutto l'incrociabile ? I nearly died laughing at this one ... anyways my credit card is locked and loaded too ! Please please let it be new iMacs !!!!!!!

Daniele, I posted a private message for you some days ago, did you see it ?

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Tutto l'incrociabile ? I nearly died laughing at this one ... anyways my credit card is locked and loaded too ! Please please let it be new iMacs !!!!!!!

I must have crossed the wrong body parts because there's no iMac. :(

Also, I hadn't seen the message— I just replied now, sorry!

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I think it's a problem of the 27'', even here in Italy are not available!
Instead, there are still 21'' will mean something?

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

!€&@$*%%%###~!! Nulla Porco Zio!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.