Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
This sort of behaviour disappoints me and does nothing to help the perceived smugness of mac users. I was detered from the Mac by what I considered their superiority complex and it was only when I eventually tried the product that I changed my mind.

It always strikes me as odd that someone would base something as fundamental as the computer they use on an image of other people using that tool. It reeks of a grade school mentality.

IMHO, Apple should be "smug" (if that's what you need to call it), and they should back that smugness up with a "this is how you do <X>" second wave of advertising when Leopard comes out (or even now using Tiger as the comparison). As others have pointed out, the only time you shy away from competitive comparisons are:

1. When you have the market sown up, and so mention of the competition is publicity for the competition
2. When you have serious issues in your product which pale in comparison to the minor issues you are pointing at in the competition

Apple is definitely not in the first area, and I don't see how the second applies to them. A direct attack on Vista flaws is certainly justified and, quite frankly, expected from a marketing perspective. As for timing, a direct attack is generally most effective:

1. When the competition is touting an advance or new version
2. Before bringing your own new version out which leapfrogs the competition in the critical areas.

Again, perfect timing here for Apple to go on the offense. Counters MS in a news cycle that they would otherwise own, and has the potential to grow into a major positive campaign on the release of Leopard.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I'm adding my voice to those you have said this is a bad idea. Emphasize the strong points of the Mac OS (by implication the shortfalls of Vista), but don't go around badmouthing & ridiculing the competion. This is what weak, desparate companies do -- Apple!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't like the anti-Vista anti-Windows anti-PC theme. I supposed Apple's market research tells them this is the way to go, but I can't help thinking that showing the positives of Macs, Mac OS X, and the iApps would be a better approach.

After all, most people encounter or use Windows at home, work, or school. It's hard to find somebody who has never used a computer and is deciding between Windows and Mac OS X. Why make a PC user feel bad about what they're using or have used before, as if guilt or feeling stupid will make them eager to switch? Why not show them something they'll want to use: iLife, iWork, Exposé, Spotlight, Dashboard, and so on?

Even when it's justifiable to make the "we invented it and they stole it" point, and fun for us to see that message being spread, should it really matter to a consumer? If you can do fast local searching of your PC or Mac now, who cares who had it first? Consumers are interested in what's best for them, not in choosing sides between corporations. So show features and functionality, or the joy of using a Mac, rather than throwing stones.

One exception: Windows users hate viruses. It's a known negative, not something that takes work to convince people about. Playing the "virus card" is reasonable for Apple.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
I supposed Apple's market research tells them this is the way to go, but I can't help thinking that showing the positives of Macs, Mac OS X, and the iApps would be a better approach.

problem is they have done that, and to a certain extent it has worked, but they need a new attack to get those numbers rising more....shock tactics are risky but can work.

i think apple is much better placed to handle anything microsoft gives them back this time round than way back in the day....

my only bad feeling is that we just give the PC'ers more of a chance to accuse mac users of being smug.....and we are, but its coz our stuff works.

let the war begin

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I hate apples marketing, they are so full of themselves.
Im thinking about switching to ubuntu as soon as it's fully supported for my macbook.

Then why did you

1) Buy a MacBook at all?
2) Join this site 3 weeks ago?

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
I don't understand what the hubbub is about. Comparing yourself with competitors is a cornerstone of advertising. If people are satisfied with what they have they'll never buy your product. Make them dissatisfied, that's how the game is played.

Especially if you're the little guy by far, you have to come out swinging.

shelterpaw

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
I hate apples marketing, they are so full of themselves.
Im thinking about switching to ubuntu as soon as it's fully supported for my macbook.
Ubuntu is great, but it's not even close to as good as OS X. I have both and I enjoy using Ubuntu but it falls short in a lot of categories. So many of those little apps just don't work well and aren't user friendly enough. Just as an example: It was a pain in the neck installing a proper wireless connection application, but it works. I pray I don't have to do it over again.

With regards to Apple bashing Vista, it's just marketing. It's pushing people's buttons, which may not be a bad thing. Someone has to tout that there's a better alternative than Microsoft and it seems like Apple's play nice strategy hasn't done much for them, so why not attack them head on.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Even when it's justifiable to make the "we invented it and they stole it" point, and fun for us to see that message being spread, should it really matter to a consumer? If you can do fast local searching of your PC or Mac now, who cares who had it first? Consumers are interested in what's best for them, not in choosing sides between corporations. So show features and functionality, or the joy of using a Mac, rather than throwing stones.

How about, "We invented Quartz Extreme five years ago and have had time to perfect it", or "We had local search two years ago and so it is supported by <X>% of all Mac applications and file types", or "The authentication mechanism we've had in OS X since 2001 is far superior to the nagging UAC in Vista".

Take your pick, but there are distinct advantages, from a today's-customer perspective, to having had such a huge head start on these and other key technologies. Yes, saying, "But we had it first!" won't win any arguments, but having not seen the new campaign I'm not going to assume that that's what Apple would do.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
23 different choices

I did a search on Amazon, and their are 23 different choices to choose from when you want to buy Vista. Microsoft must have hired marketing geniuses from AOL to do their selling:D .

The product developement of Vista wasn't headed by a creative and imaginative team of software engineers, rather it was headed by MBA hacks. Is this good for the shareholder? Innovation is always prefered IMHO.

Cinch

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
If these new ads are going to be as "gentle" as the television spots, there's really nothing to worry about.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
After all, most people encounter or use Windows at home, work, or school. It's hard to find somebody who has never used a computer and is deciding between Windows and Mac OS X. Why make a PC user feel bad about what they're using or have used before, as if guilt or feeling stupid will make them eager to switch?
But that's exactly why Apple have to do this now. The press are screaming from all directions that Vista is not the Windows you know. Others are pointing out how it doesn't work on their hardware and complaining that the only way to upgrade is to buy a new machine. Windows users look at it and don't see it as the XP they're comfortable with. If Apple tried this tactic in early 2008 it would be taken as insulting the customers, since many of them by that point would have chosen to continue with Microsoft. Right now they are attacking an unknown quantity, something that most people are already a little unsure about.

Without the doubt, the customers will never look at OSX. They have to be interested in it before they'll stay long enough to see what it can do.

Bad idea apple. Negative advertizing just makes you look like an *******. An ******* who doesn't have anything exciting of his own to talk about, so just trash talks others instead.

Vista actually isn't all that bad. Apple's rep is great. Apparently, apple thinks it can change vista, but all it can do is change it's own reputation.

Not cool. So middleschool!

BobP63

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Personally I think the “Get a Mac” ad campaign is spot-on. The number one issue I encounter when people say they are hesitant to switch to Mac is the learning curve required to switch from Windows; now Vista introduces a learning curve regardless. This is a golden opportunity for Apple to capitalize on the latest Windows update to increase market share, and I say go for it.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
It's been said, but to add my $.02...

The best way to counter Vista is to get Leopard out the door (well, as soon as it is ready). Talking smack about a competitor justs makes people run in the other direction.

Besides, Vista may end up being a good thing for Apple. Lots of people will want to upgrade computers now that Vista is out, and since Macs are the only ones that will run both OSX and Vista, that may encourage more switchers.

Anyway, I hope Apple takes the high road on this one. Their products speak for themselves.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I'm adding my voice to those you have said this is a bad idea. Emphasize the strong points of the Mac OS (by implication the shortfalls of Vista), but don't go around badmouthing & ridiculing the competion. This is what weak, desparate companies do -- Apple!

How can you reach your target market if you don't address the issues people have with their own computers. People need a reason to switch to Mac. It's a very big deal and a very big step for a consumer to ditch what they have known all their life and switch to a new platform.

May I ask what strong points would you like to address that Apple doesn't do already. When Apple is poking fun at Microsoft it is because it's TRUE. They do have viruses, they do have spyware, software doesn't work smoothly, people HATE their Windows machines. When a commercial comes on television and tells them that a Mac doesn't have these problems then it is a god send to that consumer.

People may hate these commercials but I will tell you that the average Windows user relates to these commercials and finds them true and funny at the same time. Go look at Apple's 10-K filing this past quarter and tell me this ad campaign isn't working.

jon

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
MS does not play nice. Why should Apple?

The average people (say some 70% of that 90%) probably don't even know what OS X can do better than Windows if you were to ask (given they even knew what it was). Apple needs to appeal to average people about why their product is better, and they need to attack Windows to do that. You think GM isn't going to mention the Ford car, if theirs performed better in crash tests?

It's success will depend on how tasteful Apple is, as I think there is a line, but the average people need to have it spelled out to the them that there are better alternatives than Vista. And thats the crowd that Apple really has a chance with anyway.

em5photog

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Colorado
I think that it shows apple is worried that Vista is huge leap over xp and poises a real threat to OSX and why people switch to Apple. I also think why we have not seen 10.5 is that there was not enough wow factor yet to show up vista that the went back to add more that is why there were secret features so could add more with out looking like vista was better so they had to add more. I have put vista on my macbook pro and played around with it a little and from what I seen I do like it . I like the fact the widgets are always on the side or I can detach them and move them anywhere . I will not switch back to windows just because of vista I love mac and osx but I think vista has some of the features that made osx great and vista right does some better . I think the best way for apple to compete is not to put down vista but to show it up with 10.5 and the features and stability speak for them selves .
my 2 cents

weitzner

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I feel like the spirit of the campaign won't be "look at how much vista sucks" but rather more like "vista isn't new, we've been enjoying these features for a long time now. and since you'll probably have to buy a new computer to actually run vista with the effects on, you may as well check out a mac and be at the forefront of consumer OSes"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.