Antivirus...Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ayeplussjr, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

Since i'm a new user to the iMac i'm just wondering if any of you is running Norton Antivirus, or any other Virus program? I know with the Mac's they will rarely run into any virus problems, but I was just wondering if people use it.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no i never use it.

please dont use norton, its a virus within itself :p

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

fixed.

No, I don't use antivirus software. No reason to.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

5. MidwestStuck macrumors member

People here like to say that an antivirus program isn't necessary on Macs; if you want to have one just for peace of mind, try ClamXav. It's a free, lightweight app that won't interfere with your computer operations.

6. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

all the antivir devs keep telling you how important it is, but actually it is not... at least imo

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The only reason for antivirus on the Mac is to detect and eliminate Windows viruses. For example, if your friend sends you an e-mail with an attachment which contains a virus, your Mac will quite happily open the file etc, but the virus is unable to infect your Mac. An anti-virus program on your Mac should detect the Windows virus and remove it from the file, meaning should you forward that file to a friend using Windows, you haven't spread the virus.

Personally I don't care about Windows users, and I'm certainly not clogging up my Mac with antivirus software in order to protect them. If they don't want viruses they can buy a Mac.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

And that would also be pointless because most PCs have antivirus on them anyway.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

That's likely only because Windows yells at you for not having it. :p

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yells at you?? it basically doesnt function without it!

12. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

To answer the OP's question, NO I don't use antivirus software to protect me from OS X exploits that may arise. But, I do take certain precautions.

1. Make a standard account. The account you made when you first got is an Admin account. Use that only when you need to install certain software. Search on here or Google on how to make your current admin account the standard account and vice versa.

2. Turn on the firewall. Many will tell you just a basic hardware firewall from a router is enough, but I still opt to turn it on and have it set to "Allow only Essential Services".

Optional precautions:

3. Turn off Safari's "Open 'safe' files after downloading" feature. This is just my opinion. I think that this is could be one of the ways a virus/trojan could enter.

4. Run Little Snitch. This is a program to monitor incoming and outgoing connections to your computer.

5. Run ClamXav. Antivirus to protect my fellow Windows users any time I forward an attachment that may be infected.

13. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

No I don't.

Sometimes I feel I should so that I don't send viruses to PC users but I really can't be bothered.

14. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Lets face it, Windows fails to function without attentive care, regardless.

Regarding the OP, I don't use antivirus on my Mac, but if I did, I'd use iantivirus. You can get it from apple.com/downloads if you want.

15. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I used to run Symantec AV because I was entitled to use my University's license. I ended up uninstalling it because it was too intrusive and, ultimately, unnecessary :)

16. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

The last time I used an anti-virus on a Mac was with a Norton suite on a PowerMac running OS 9.1. Actually when I think about it the AV wasn't running all that much; it was the other Norton apps that got used more.

17. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Used Norton Anti-Virus many moons ago. Never used an anti virus on OS X. Let's face it, the one thing about the Mac's low share of personal computing is that virus attacks are a low priority. I do wonder, however, if the UNIX system itself is also a hurdle - David Pogue seems to think so....

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am still new to Mac, how will doing this help?

19. jbstew32 macrumors regular

The default Admin account has permission to make any changes it wants to the Operating System. Making your day-to-day user account a standard account keeps you from being able to make changes system-wide (a good thing in general, since you have to enter a password to make any big system changes...it makes you double check yourself on big decisions). You can only modify files and directories in your own user space.

That means that even if you did get a virus somehow, it can only blow your personal files to hell, worst case. It won't be able to affect the entire system or do anything really nasty to anything other than your own personal user space.

that's my understanding at least.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Malware myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

No, in OSX, even if you are running an admin account, an install that goes outside of user space and modifies the system REQUIRES the admin password. (The theory sounds fine but pretty useless in practice right now).

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I haven't used any Antivirus software on my Macs ever since switching in May 2008. Its still a bit unsettling since I work with Windows boxes at work and constantly update my PCs there, so I feel like I kinda need antivirus on my Macs too. Been too lazy to find a freeware antivirus software for Mac though so just leaving it as-is for now, still works great!

23. jbstew32 macrumors regular

oh ok. sorry for the misinformation then :)

I was speaking from my unix/linux experience more than anything. I wasn't aware that OSX still required a password. I guess that's because Admin accounts still aren't actually root accounts?

24. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I use. Just to protect my Mac, not other windows computers.

25. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

antivirus companies recommend anti-virus software for the mac so they can make some more $$$. non-affiliated people who suggest it are most likely paid by said companies:p