Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I see people keep saying the same thing. I must be a mutant or something, as I jump from my iPhone and Apple Watch to iPP with no issue, lol.

Kal.
Well, I guess that's a good thing! :)
[doublepost=1459733858][/doublepost]
Nope because iOS apps are just so much more convenient than what the MacBook offer....
I think you missed my point...

You want a pro iPad with an OS with a file manager and mouse support?

Sounds like you actually want a MacBook...

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well, I guess that's a good thing! :)
[doublepost=1459733858][/doublepost]
I think you missed my point...

You want a pro iPad with a better OS for multitasking and mouse support?

Sounds like you actually want a MacBook!
The reason why I have the larger pro is due to portability and the ease of use when I'm on the go. When apple does upgrade there software with mouse support or at least a trackpad, you will be the one missing the point.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
The reason why I have the larger pro is due to portability and the ease of use when I'm on the go. When apple does upgrade there software with mouse support or at least a trackpad, you will be the one missing the point.
Wait... So let me get this straight:

You want an iPad
With a file manager...
And mouse support...
And a trackpad...

Please explain how this is different from a MacBook considering it is roughly the same size and thickness as an iPad Pro?

Also, you realise iOS with multitouch at its core cannot be used efficiently with a mouse?

What a joke.

Reactions: Coolpher

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Apple is unlikely to include a mouse, as in most interviews with Tim Cook and Co. they mention that having a touch screen and mouse is redundant or annoying. Why have a mouse when you can reach 8-10 inches and touch the screen itself? At least that's what Apple thinks, (though I kind of agree,) a mouse for an iPad seems weird and unnecessary, the Pencil is essentially the "mouse" for the new iPads. Its even more precise too.

Kal.

Reactions: Coolpher

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Maybe we could say the same thing for those who want a physical keyboard with a tablet if this is your reasoning......

I feel the same way with those buying a tablet and an add on keyboard. With the bulk and size added with a keyboard it's become a crippled laptop and takes up as much space

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Apple is unlikely to include a mouse, as in most interviews with Tim Cook and Co. they mention that having a touch screen and mouse is redundant or annoying. Why have a mouse when you can reach 8-10 inches and touch the screen itself? At least that's what Apple thinks, (though I kind of agree,) a mouse for an iPad seems weird and unnecessary, the Pencil is essentially the "mouse" for the new iPads. Its even more precise too.

Kal.
8 to 10 inch tablets may not need a mouse or trackpad but the large ipad pro is 13 inches almost and definitely needs some type of mouse or trackpad support...it would speed up my productivity and many others...android allows it so it's just a simple matter of adding the code for it....

I can't tell you how much I have to reach up to the top of the screen and select options...very annoying

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
8 to 10 inch tablets may not need a mouse or trackpad but the large ipad pro is 13 inches almost and definitely needs some type of mouse or trackpad support...it would speed up my productivity and many others...android allows it so it's just a simple matter of adding the code for it....
No.

The iPad clearly isn't for you. I think what you're looking for is something called a laptop.

Reactions: Simplicated

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
No.

The iPad clearly isn't for you. I think what you're looking for is something called a laptop.
I'm someone who will always have several devices. Of course I have two laptops and a desktop and a couple android tablets. I just want a pro device to do everything it's supposed to do especially if it's called a pro device.

I don't think that hard for Apple as a company to commit to. If apple wanted this device to be just a tablet, they will never have marketed their smart keyboard to this extent. They are trying to compete with the Surface Pro then do a better job at competing with it.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I'm someone who will always have several devices. Of course I have two laptops and a desktop and a couple android tablets. I just want a pro device to do everything it's supposed to do especially if it's called a pro device.

I don't think that hard for Apple as a company to commit to. If apple wanted this device to be just a tablet, they will never have marketed their smart keyboard to this extent.
Except they didn't market the Smart Keyboard very much at all.

The Apple Pencil, on the other hand...

By the way, what do you even mean by 'Pro'? 'Pro' isn't a unit of measurement...who are you to say what is pro and what isn't?

The iPad Pro does 'everything it's supposed to do', and if this isn't enough for you, don't buy it.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Except they didn't market the Smart Keyboard very much at all.

The Apple Pencil, on the other hand...

By the way, what do you even mean by 'Pro'? 'Pro' isn't a unit of measurement...who are you to say what is pro and what isn't?

The iPad Pro does 'everything it's supposed to do', and if this isn't enough for you, don't buy it.
I'm not gonna even say too much because you are just pushing yourself. We all have different opinions on what we want and I can't make you agree with mine so thanks for your assertions. Great Defender of the iPad pro.....

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
To people who own both iPad Pro models:

Can you please tell me if the screen temperature of the 9.7" is much warmer than the 12.9"? Yes I have True Tone turned off, the smaller pro has a yellow tint and I am on my second model.

My rose gold 32gb wifi + cellular had a warmer tone compared to my mini 4 and my 12.9" pro and with the exact same wallpaper on all 3, the 9.7" pro had washed out colours, not nearly as vibrant. It also had some bare metal near the glass so I have arranged a return. Not sure if I want to try again :(

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've got both, plan to keep both.

I'm a front-end developer, and am at my dev laptop all day long. The iPad(s) fill basically the rest of my time, be it sketching, painting, reading, movies, tutorials, textbooks, gaming, etc. I prefer the larger at home unless I'm reading a novel, then the smaller one excels (esp w/TrueTone).

The big size was nice at work for split screen while in meetings and taking notes, but it's just too bulky (for me) for everyday carry, so I prefer to carry the 9.7" to work but still have the same abilities as the 12.9". With Evernote, Notes, Box, etc -- I have access to all my files easily on both, work and fun.

It's a bit extravagant to me to own both, but I work hard, make good money, and don't buy other luxuries -- Apple is my "sweet spot" for fun/useful tech that I use for hours every day. :)

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012

I'm a front-end developer, and am at my dev laptop all day long. The iPad(s) fill basically the rest of my time, be it sketching, painting, reading, movies, tutorials, textbooks, gaming, etc. I prefer the larger at home unless I'm reading a novel, then the smaller one excels (esp w/TrueTone).

The big size was nice at work for split screen while in meetings and taking notes, but it's just too bulky (for me) for everyday carry, so I prefer to carry the 9.7" to work but still have the same abilities as the 12.9". With Evernote, Notes, Box, etc -- I have access to all my files easily on both, work and fun.

It's a bit extravagant to me to own both, but I work hard, make good money, and don't buy other luxuries -- Apple is my "sweet spot" for fun/useful tech that I use for hours every day. :)
Fair enough.

Just remember that when you're on your deathbed none of this will be relevant. Family and friends should always come first.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

I understand your point exactly. I have no issue with anyone having both and can tell you that there are cases in which one is more convenient than the other.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I understand your point exactly. I have no issue with anyone having both and can tell you that there are cases in which one is more convenient than the other.
No one has an 'issue' with anyone having both.

In this case, convenience outweighed price.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I did. As much as I liked the original Pro, the fact that it was bigger than my MacBook worked against it. I am much happier with the 9.7", though I'll miss the larger size when writing using the Pencil or using Duet Display.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Today I decided to sell my 12.9" and get the 9.7". I just moved, so I'm waiting for internet to get hooked up at the new place (which will be in 1 week!)

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009

This is exactly what I plan to do. I already have the 12.9 and the 9.7 arrives today . I think they will complement each other very well with the 9.7 being my main device for commuting, meeting notes, quick reply to emails and refereeing PDFs material. When I require a bigger screen or split mode then the 12.9 will come into play and will be my "laptop device". For everything else that IOS can't do then I would use my iMac when i am at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.