Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yet you still can't mention ONE THING I can't do on my 9.7" that I can on my 12.9".

Interesting.
[doublepost=1459863318][/doublepost]

These are all preferences. If you don't WANT to do them in the smaller screen, that is your CHOICE. I can still do them though.

You can't fast charge your 9.7. :)

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've had the 12.9 for awhile now, and the 9.7 Pro for about a week. Frankly I love them both. The 12.9 is my "laptop" of choice, and the 9.7 is my iPad (traditional size) of choice. I'm passing down the iPad Air 2 to my daughter.

I do see that the 9.7 Pro is sort of an "S" upgrade. I am enjoying the 4 speaker, True Tone, and slightly better screen (less glare, colors a little more vivid) over the iPadAir 2. It also seems faster than the iPadAir2. But maybe I just need to reformat the iPad Air 2 that I've been using longer (clear out the junk.

Sound on the 9.7 Pro is better, than the iPadAir2, but not quite as rich as my 12.9. Sometime when watching movies the sound on the 12.9 projects sounds coming from left or right better than the 9.7 IPad Air 2. It is hard to explain but it is slightly reminiscent of the first time I heard surround sound.

So why did I feel the need to have any 9.7 iPad when I have the 12.9. Well first of all I had the iPad Air2 first. Generally speaking I will take the 12.9 to work, and business travel. The 9.7 goes on vacation with me when I'm generally using an iPad less.

I've got the new keyboard on order and hope it gets here in time for my next vacation trip! If it doesn't I might as well bring along 12.9 for the keyboard. I've hear the big keyboard can be used with the 9.7 iPad Pro. But it seems a little silly to like the 9.7 iPad and the large keyboard cover on vacation. Might as well bring the big boy ;)

Reactions: millydog

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Yes, but not for me. I bought the 9.7 iPad Pro to replace my father's aging/damaged iPad 3. He's a graphic designer and loves the Apple Pencil and smart keyboard

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I've had the 12.9 for awhile now, and the 9.7 Pro for about a week. Frankly I love them both. The 12.9 is my "laptop" of choice, and the 9.7 is my iPad (traditional size) of choice. I'm passing down the iPad Air 2 to my daughter.

I do see that the 9.7 Pro is sort of an "S" upgrade. I am enjoying the 4 speaker, True Tone, and slightly better screen (less glare, colors a little more vivid) over the iPadAir 2. It also seems faster than the iPadAir2. But maybe I just need to reformat the iPad Air 2 that I've been using longer (clear out the junk.

Sound on the 9.7 Pro is better, than the iPadAir2, but not quite as rich as my 12.9. Sometime when watching movies the sound on the 12.9 projects sounds coming from left or right better than the 9.7 IPad Air 2. It is hard to explain but it is slightly reminiscent of the first time I heard surround sound.

So why did I feel the need to have any 9.7 iPad when I have the 12.9. Well first of all I had the iPad Air2 first. Generally speaking I will take the 12.9 to work, and business travel. The 9.7 goes on vacation with me when I'm generally using an iPad less.

I've got the new keyboard on order and hope it gets here in time for my next vacation trip! If it doesn't I might as well bring along 12.9 for the keyboard. I've hear the big keyboard can be used with the 9.7 iPad Pro. But it seems a little silly to like the 9.7 iPad and the large keyboard cover on vacation. Might as well bring the big boy ;)

Can understand that it would be nice to have both sizes but for me the hassle of charging, updating, placing somewhere, and looking after 3 devices (2 iPads and 1 iPhone, luckily I don't have the Apple Watch) was too much and I sold my Air. Don't miss it too much for now....

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
To be fair, the keyboard is much less cramped and the screen real estate is slightly larger than a 13" MacBook on the bigger pro.

Ok. Great. But that still doesn't explain what a larger, less cramped iPad can do than a smaller, more cramped cannot.
[doublepost=1459876719][/doublepost]
Two side by side apps basically the size of a 9.7 inch pro each helps.

Yes, it helps, but I can still do it on a 9.7". They are just smaller.

If I could do split screen on the 12.9", and NOT do split screen at all on the 9.7", then that would be one thing.

But since I can do it on both, then it's not a thing.

Yes the 12.9" is larger. So stipulated. But there is nothing the 12.9" can do that makes it more (or less) a laptop replacement than a 9.7". Both iPads, IMHO, are just as incapable of replacing a laptop.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Four that reason I was getting rid of my MBP in the living room and using only the iPP 12.9 and a really bigger 27" Retina iMac in my home office.
I love my MBP it does more then the iPad and yes i love to buy an iMac too but I need to have also 2 desktops one running win 7 and the other win 10 so iPad and iPhones i need also to win the lottery

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Ok. Great. But that still doesn't explain what a larger, less cramped iPad can do than a smaller, more cramped cannot.
[doublepost=1459876719][/doublepost]

Yes, it helps, but I can still do it on a 9.7". They are just smaller.

If I could do split screen on the 12.9", and NOT do split screen at all on the 9.7", then that would be one thing.

But since I can do it on both, then it's not a thing.

Yes the 12.9" is larger. So stipulated. But there is nothing the 12.9" can do that makes it more (or less) a laptop replacement than a 9.7". Both iPads, IMHO, are just as incapable of replacing a laptop.

No. As far as I know the iPad Pro 12.9 has different size classes than the 9.7.

In 50-50 split, the 12.9 stays as a regular width size class (aka the normal width of the 9.7 in landscape). 50-50 split on the 9.7 is a compact width which means the apps could look and behave differently (https://developer.apple.com/library...ngOniPad/Art/multitasking-size-classes_2x.png).

Only the 12.9 allows two apps to run side by side in their "regular" widths. This can result in big differences when using split view (depending on how the app is designed)

Reactions: larzy and haruhiko

Bengy66

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nope keeping the 12.9 IPP. I had the iPad Air and it collected dust. The reason is the 9.7 is not big enough to justify me putting down my iPhone 6s+. I kept going back to the iPhone.

The 12.9 makes me put down the iPhone and enjoy the larger screen with a pure iOS multitasking with split view.

Reactions: millydog

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I've got both, plan to keep both.

I'm a front-end developer, and am at my dev laptop all day long. The iPad(s) fill basically the rest of my time, be it sketching, painting, reading, movies, tutorials, textbooks, gaming, etc. I prefer the larger at home unless I'm reading a novel, then the smaller one excels (esp w/TrueTone).

The big size was nice at work for split screen while in meetings and taking notes, but it's just too bulky (for me) for everyday carry, so I prefer to carry the 9.7" to work but still have the same abilities as the 12.9". With Evernote, Notes, Box, etc -- I have access to all my files easily on both, work and fun.

It's a bit extravagant to me to own both, but I work hard, make good money, and don't buy other luxuries -- Apple is my "sweet spot" for fun/useful tech that I use for hours every day. :)

This sounds just like me. I am also a developer & also have both. I love the 12.9" and it's OK to take to work, but if I then leave work to go shopping on the way home it becomes too large and awkward. So now that I have the 9.7" Pro as well, I am taking that to work with me and it is easier to carry. I use the 12.9 for video and around the house, but then the 9.7 out and about and in bed. Yes, it's extravagant to have both, but this is my hobby and enjoyment and its what I choose to spend my money on.
If I had to choose one between the two, I'm actually not sure which I would pick.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Well there is functionality and then there is the quality of the implementation of that functionality... More content displayed on screen leads to a more productive experience

In my opinion the 9.7" works better as a companion device, and the 12.9" works better as a laptop replacement. I want to keep them both though.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
What can the smaller pro do that the large can't other than true tone. Most have iPhones so I'm not even mentioning photo/video. That and the fact few buy an ipad for camera exclusively.

As far as weight. The smaller pro is a pound. The larger a pound and a half. Carrying 0.5 more pounds is not going to break your back.

I think many as with the iPhone SE just want latest, maybe greatest. When the iPhone 7 comes out, 4 inches Will be too small again. When the next large ipad pro comes out. That will be the must have.

I'm debating buying a larger pro so I can have an ipad again. I don't see anything one can do that the other can't. For me I'd rather have a larger screen

I completely agree I have an iPhone 6s Plus I can record 4K video and I can upload that the cloud and down to my 12.9 inch I don't care about true tone I like the bigger screen real estate I love my iPad pro 12.9 inch will never go back to a smaller model

Reactions: OneMike

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No.

The iPad clearly isn't for you. I think what you're looking for is something called a laptop.

The stock answer, but not a option for me. I already own a laptop. Several in fact.

What I want is a tablet with more functionality.

The iPP 12.9 with an accessible file system and optional mouse would be all I need. Couple that with some basic added functionality in iOS to support the larger screen and I would be happier than a pig in ****.

I'd gladly plunk down the $1100 for it.

Instead, we get these half measures that disappoint. And so, I keep using my ipad2...only mild regret now for not getting the 64gb version back then.

But I didn't think Apple would take a step back instead of moving forward with each release. Stupid me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.