Any Avid Cyclists on This Forum?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlphaDogg, Mar 13, 2011.

?

How many miles?

1. Only on weekends, under 5 miles

5.4%
  2. Only on weekends, over 5 miles

5.4%
  3. Only on weekends, over 15 miles

3.6%
  4. Only on weekends, over 20 miles

14.3%
  5. Every day, under 5 miles

19.6%
  6. Every day, over 5 miles

14.3%
  7. Every day, over 10 miles

12.5%
  8. Every day, over 15 miles

25.0%
  1. AlphaDogg, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Are there any members of this forum who like to ride their bicycles?

If so, how many miles do you do daily and what kind of bikes do you have?

I can only afford the time to ride on weekends. I did 16 miles yesterday and 16 miles today. I stopped at Subway along the way and got a sandwich, which I proceeded to eat while riding. Anyone who might know Denver; I rode on the Cherry Creek trail.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

3. AlphaDogg, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Ohh Family Guy.... Where would we be without it? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I did my first weekday bike ride; 11mile roundtrip. I have been using google maps for these measurements, but my bicycle computer will be here on Wednesday. I scored it on Amazon for $10. My old bicycle computer was inaccurate and the wire between the receptor and the computer ripped...

4. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

You don't have enough options on your poll :D

During the summer months, weather permitting, I ride 3 or 4 times a week. During the weekdays I would ride 30 - 40 miles after work, 2 - 3 times. And then would go for a longer 50 - 70 mile ride on saturday. Last summer I posted a little over 2000 miles on my bike (had a month off due to illness unfortunately).

I hardly ever take breaks though, maybe a water fillup at a fast food joint in the middle but never have taken a food break... and it's a great way to stay in shape!

5. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I contacted the moderators to add options to the poll, I don't have that ability.
    That's a lot of biking! Do you wear those spandex shorts and shirts too (you know, bike attire)?

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

At the weekend and sometimes one weekday evening after school I go for a 5-10 mile bike ride. I'm hoping to gradually build it up and be able to travel further, as I have only just started doing this (I loved going on my bike before, just not the kinds of distances I'm covering now). I would like to get a roadbike at some point though, that would be awesome!

7. Lord Blackadder, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

During the warm months, I usually ride 10 miles a day, 5-7 days a week. I recently moved though, and had to leave my bike (which is in dire need of replacement anyway) in storage. I also have a lot of fieldwork to do this summer, much of it on foot, so this summer might not see any riding at all. :eek:

I'm shopping around for a new bike, hopefully for next season, so I can get back in the saddle. Still, I'm not sure if I count as an "avid" biker, because I don't wear the lycra pants. ;)

8. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I consider myself to be an avid biker, but I wear jeans (its still somewhat cold here). When it gets warmer, I will start wearing athletic shorts.

9. hewhoeatsapples macrumors newbie

Living in Denver, I'm very familiar w/ the CC Trail, and parts of the Highline Canal Trail I try to do a 20 mile ride at least 3 times a week after work, and a 50 to 70 miler on the weekends, with 1-2 century rides each year. Riding a mtn bike (b/c that's all I have) makes these longer rides a bit more challenging.

Lord Blackadder - they do make cycling shorts with an outer shell that resembles street clothing.

Best iOS app for logging rides I've found is cychosis. I track my rides with my Garmin handheld GPSr, then put them into cychosis.

10. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I consider myself to be an avid biker, but I wear jeans (its still somewhat cold here). When it gets warmer, I will start wearing athletic shorts.

11. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Thank you for this app. Can it use my iPhone's GPS or do I need a separate GPS system (like your garmin)?

Yesterday, when I rode the highline canal near bible park, where the trail crosses Quebec, there is a picnic bench. There were like 6 homeless people sitting around it. There was also a homeless person chasing after another homeless person, calling his name saying "come back here!" It was quite funny. One of the people at the bench said "what have I got to prove to you?!" I was half amused and half scared.

Oh and I also have a mountain bike. I am starting to outgrow it (still a teenager), so it is getting progressively harder to ride. The other day when I was biking, I took too wide of a turn when going under a bridge and my (plastic) pedal scraped against the rock barrier. I was fine, as I have great reflexes and I lifted up my leg when I knew there was nothing I could do to move away from the rock barrier.

12. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

I do wear the spandex shorts and shirts. I found that it would be unbearable to ride in the sadle for more than a mile or so without some padding. The clothing is also really good at keeping you cool in the summer months.

I only have a road bike now, and have only had it for 1.5 seasons so far, but I am loving it! So I can see this become a regular activity for me.

BTW, I'm jealous of you guys riding in CO. I would love to take a trip over there and ride some of the mountain routes.

I do have some winter riding gear too, some bib knickers and long sleeve insulated jerseys and a bunch of other items. I think the coldest I have been out is 40 degrees, my face got really cold tho, need to pick up a Baclava if im going to ride in the cold again.

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I need to get in better shape before I can start wearing bike attire, because I think that none of you would like to see an out-of-shape (read: fat) person in that kind of clothing. I am not super overweight though, I have a BMI of 25.6. But by no means am I skinny.

I just got back from a 14 mile bike ride, and used an app on my iPhone called iMapMyRide. According to it I went 13.98mi at a pace of 6:26 min/mile, for an hour 30 minutes and 6 seconds. Keep in mind that my friend was going slower than me, requiring me to constantly stop and wait for him. My average speed was 10.6mph. Detailed ride information here.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

When I was last riding regularly, I rode on a quiet loop of road that was pretty flat and level. Since it didn't have any challenging topography, I was able to aim for a higher average speed. I'm relatively fit but I do not train regularly, diet or work out (my BMI is about 25.5 last I checked).

I started by trying to maintain a pace of 12mph and quickly discovered that that it was too slow. In the end I gradually worked my way up to keeping an average pace of 15.5mph over the ten miles. On good days I could maintain an even higher pace for most of the ride, and on a dead sprint I could manage about 32mph for short distances. I was riding a borrowed Jamis road bike.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wouldn't say I'm an avid cyclist. I normally (this week excepted for some odd reason) ride to work 2 or 3 days of the week. About 3.5 miles each way. Last year I was going out for 25-35 mile rides most weekends. All on an old, heavy, full-suspension Marin mountain bike! I'm looking to get a proper road bike this year and maybe join a club. Cycling on your own with headphones in looses it's attraction after a while.

16. OllyW, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I used to be an avid cyclist, I did up to 150 miles a week for over 10 years.

Cross country and downhill mountain biking, road riding, cyclo cross, I did it all. I spent £10s of thousands on bikes, owned up to 7 bikes at at time and it was my life for a while. I've cycled up Snowdon, down the Alps, done a 24 hour solo mountain bike race and many 100+ mile road rides and other cycling endurance events.

I had a bit of a burn out 2 years ago and have really cut back on my cycling. I've sold most of my bikes but have still got my titanium hardtail mountain bike and my single speed road bike and now do between 20 - 60 miles a week depending on the time of year. I ride to work most days and go out for weekend rides with my mates and now enjoy it more than I ever did when it I was 'serious' about it. :)

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well i'm planning on doing a Jogle in August this year (near 1000 miles) in around 7-10 day's

on this bad boy- although adding Brooks B17 saddle Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and other things which cost lots of money too :(

[​IMG]

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't forget to get some pedals too. :D

19. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep gone for these - used a pair years ago on an hybrid and they are comfy with my SPD's
    Shimano A530 Touring Pedals
    [​IMG]

although i must say bike parts are expensive!

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They should be ideal, I've still got a set of the A520s in my shed in case I get another road bike. :)

21. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep - in case you get another bike :D you must be eye'in one up !

now are you an trek spesh or italian flavour

my other pride and joy is a Spesh San fran 1 single speed - i use this to commute on and the occasional ride out

[​IMG]

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Canadian & British. :D

I've got a Cove Hummer and an On-One Pompino.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm only avid during the summer when it's much warmer out. That's when I can get around 15 miles a day for several days a week. I bought an entry level road bike from Jamis a couple years ago. It's much better than the 40 pound mountain bike I had before! Great way to stay in shape for sure.

24. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

thats some nice bikes you have there

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Your two aren't too shabby. :)