Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many miles?

• Total voters

hewhoeatsapples

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Thank you for this app. Can it use my iPhone's GPS or do I need a separate GPS system (like your garmin)?

Cychosis doesn't use GPS to my knowledge, but you can probably find an app that will track the necessary stats (speed, distance, moving time, avg speed, etc.) for you, and then manually input it. An app meant for runners might help.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
4d396f7353c34_1.jpg

I ride this, although I would like to get a road bike eventually. Not the most expensive bike but I'm only 15, so I don't have a proper job yet! I like it, and it's nice to ride, so that's all that matters.

I consider myself to be an avid biker, but I wear jeans (its still somewhat cold here). When it gets warmer, I will start wearing athletic shorts.

I wear tracksuit bottoms, trainers, a kind of like a lycra type cycling t-shirt, gloves and a rain jacket (if it's cold, or obviously, wet!).

Last edited:

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I ride this bad girl to work every day, about 5 miles round trip through DC. Then about 20-60 miles on the weekends depending on what my riding group is feeling like.

trek-madone-4-7-2009-road-bike.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Some nice bikes in here, to be sure.

I'm looking to buy a new bike, probably a road bike (or possibly a fixie) for commuting and recreational riding. Hoping to keep costs below $700 US. It would be nice to find a machine that's made in the US, like my old Trek hardtail, but so far I haven't seen anything that would be affordable. Most US-made frames cost more than $700.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
By the way OllyW, you're a machine! I think the longest ride I've ever done is 70 miles, though I did that on a mountain bike, so I should get a little extra credit. But my cycling pastime is much more plebian than yours. I've never owned more than two bikes at a time, and all of my road bikes have been ancient vintage machines.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
By the way OllyW, you're a machine! I think the longest ride I've ever done is 70 miles, though I did that on a mountain bike, so I should get a little extra credit. But my cycling pastime is much more plebian than yours. I've never owned more than two bikes at a time, and all of my road bikes have been ancient vintage machines.

Ex-machine.

I just cycle for pleasure these days and to be honest I feel a lot better for it even though i'm about 1.5 stone heavier now. :D

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I have a Schwinn Frontier 21 speed mountain bike (my only bike) with 20" wheels (24" including the tires). I can't seem to find a stock picture of it anywhere online, so I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

I have been riding in 3 (front gear) and 7 (rear gear), switching to 2 and 7 if I go up a slight incline, because I want to build up the muscles in my legs. My calves are already showing improvement. I rode a trail today that is pretty much flat (Highline Canal Trail) for 16 miles.

Here are some pictures of my new Bell F12 bike computer for proof.

Top speed:
photo-18.jpg

Average speed:
photo-17.jpg

Odometer (distance):
photo-16.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Ex-machine.

I just cycle for pleasure these days and to be honest I feel a lot better for it even though i'm about 1.5 stone heavier now. :D

Cycling never resulted in weight loss for me, but I never cycled hard enough to lose weight. I felt better though - I'm definitely feeling flabbier these days, even though I weigh about the same. :eek:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK

can go one more on that - 120 miles on my single speed in 1 day

that hurt :(

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
can go one more on that - 120 miles on my single speed in 1 day

that hurt :(

That's really good going. :cool:

I did a hilly 100 mile road ride from Ludlow round Shropshire and the Welsh Marches a few years ago and my friend rode it on his fixie. You should have seen his legs going on some of the mile plus descents. :eek:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I thought the done thing was to take your feet off the pedals, stick them out at the side and yell "Wheeeeeeeeee"?

it's been years since i've done that lol - i just brace myself on downhill section with bottom in the air and head down.

although i still fail prey to traffic lights and SPD pedals - :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I didn't choose any of the options in the poll because I think they're really lacking.

I wouldn't call myself an "avid" cyclist, but I do cycle often. I live in the city, so my bike is my preferred method of transportation while I'm in the city. I cycle to the pool 3 times a week, and frequently cycle into the city for other reasons. Most of my trips around around 3 km (~2 miles) one way. While I'm in the city, I'll cycle from place to place, so no more than 1 km!! It's great.

I own a Cooper Sebring, and it's a fantastic bike. I only got it 6 months ago, and have really enjoyed the crap out of it. :p Everything from the Brooks saddle to the bullhorn. Bullhorns are better than drops, IMO. It's a single-speed, which is just perfect for Melbourne. It is a very FAST bike!!!! The lone gear on this bike is set fairly high, so I think you need to have a fairly high fitness level to ride it. I'm still young, so I can still ride it. I regularly beat the lycra crowd, which must be embarrassing for them. I mean, in the winters here, I'll be wearing jeans, a shirt of some kind, and a down vest on top. Nobody in lycra wants to be passed by a guy on a single-speed wearing a down vest and boots. ;)

CooperT100Sebring.jpg

(click for larger)

My other bike, which I bought 12 months ago, is an Allegro hybrid-style bike with a Shimano 8-speed internal gear hub. It's very comfy, very low maintenance, very convenient, but I haven't rode it since I got my Cooper Sebring!! :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I didn't choose any of the options in the poll because I think they're really lacking.

I own a Cooper Sebring, and it's a fantastic bike. I only got it 6 months ago, and have really enjoyed the crap out of it. :p Everything from the Brooks saddle to the bullhorn.

CooperT100Sebring.jpg

(click for larger)

My other bike, which I bought 12 months ago, is an Allegro hybrid-style bike with a Shimano 8-speed internal gear hub. It's very comfy, very low maintenance, very convenient, but I haven't rode it since I got my Cooper Sebring!! :D

i got a b17 standard to go on my new one, how do you find yours ? everyone i know who has one raves about them:cool:
also how's the alpine hub getting on ? did toy with the idea of getting that hub on my next hybrid

jeansojs

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Racer/Commuter

I race in the Southeast out of Knoxville, TN and commute to work most days. My commute is 62 miles round trip. I try to get in at least 1 long ride on the weekend that I dont race of about 70-100 miles. I have a Felt AR1 road bike and a Felt DA Time trial bike. I end up riding between 250-350 miles per week.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I've always been a cyclist but got into it more to the point where I don't even drive often anymore. I cycle-commute everywhere and even have a utility bike for doing my shopping (front and rear racks).

I'm looking at doing a tour this summer with a friend of mine. I'm in the process now of trying to find a touring bike that is just right. Demand for touring bikes isn't very high and I really want to try one before I buy it. In this area, if I find one it usually doesn't match what I want. I have my road bike outfitted with hand made mounts for front and rear racks, though I only use the rear one with an Ortlieb pannier. Mountain bikes fit the bill alright, but they are just too heavy for what they offer.

Here is my utility bike outfitted with the ortlieb bags before a shopping trip -

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And my road bike;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I was riding my bike, and I accidentally rode into the dirt on the side of the Highline Canal Trail. I noticed that there were thorns in both the front and the back tires. My bike is about 3 years old, and the tread is very worn. If I had new treads, I wouldn't have gotten a flat. Here is a video of how flat it was. It was even squeaking! Click the image to view the video.

I had to walk 3 miles to get home.

Edit: I am growing out of my bike, so I don't want to buy new treads. (I don't want to put money into something that I won't be able to use much longer.) I am planning on getting a new bike this weekend. I am still trying to convince my parents!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
my order from Evans has just arrived at work!!!

Brooks b17/Knog Lights/Bontrager trip 5w/Bontrager Race X Lite carbon ends & my Shimano 530's

happy day:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.