Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
...I be hesitant to order a case before actual photos are shown from a small, little known company halfway across the world.

FWIW, Vaja, Piel Frama, Noreve, (insert high-end case manufacturers name here) all had to start somewhere; and they're all halfway across the world. I've sent Vaja and Piel Frama cases back due to sloppy workmanship. In all instances I've been more than compensated for my trouble.

Vaja is notorious for underestimating shipping times on their customized products; by as much as 2-3 weeks. Read some of the posts in this forum bitching about the quality of products like Spigun and Apple; big companies that mass-produce accessories in unbelievable numbers. I had to return an Apple Midnight Blue leather case over the weekend because the leather split in one of the corners.

Certainly a leap of faith to trust someone you've never done business with before. But someone has to start somewhere.;)

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Just got this email :)

Dear friends,

Fall is a special time of the year. Every year. With the launch of the new iPhone we are introducing a new CalypsoCase line to take good care of your new devices. This year your response from day one was impressive and overwhelming. Thank you.

Since Apple doubled the number of iPhone 6 sold in comparison with the iPhone 5S, your CalypsoCase orders have quadrupled.

All of our products are carefully designed and handcrafted in Slovenia in Europe. We only use the finest Italian leather and we take great pride in the artisan craftsmanship put into every product we create. In the end, only 500 pieces of each design will be made.

Our preparations begin long before the launch of the new iPhone. Despite what some may think, we don’t receive iPhone specifications in advance, as Apple is very secretive about their new products and its dimensions. We try to prepare and develop our products up front, based on all publicly known specifications, predictions and our best guesses. Prototypes and the first new designs are built months before the final launch of the new iPhone.

When the new device is unveiled, we finally get to see where we stand with our predictions and prototypes. This is the first time we can actually take a look at the exact blueprints of the new iPhone.

Our predictions were spot on this year. The CalypsoCase prototypes seemed to be working well. As expected, there were few dimension alterations needed and we started to move forward towards the final product while your first orders started to arrive. We are grateful for all the many returning and familiar faces and so many new customers from all around the world who cherish true European craftsmanship and want to accessorize their device in the most fashionable manner.

Moving forward with a clear goal in mind to deliver your CalypsoCase into your hands in the quickest way. Still, without the iPhone 6 in stores, we had a 3D printed model made in Belgium based on the released blueprints. They have some fine 3D printers up there in Belgium. We gained one week of fine tuning time with our 3D prints before the iPhone finally hit the shelves.

We were first in line in France to receive the new 6 and bring it back home to further match the CalypsoCase with the final device in hand.

It is extremely important to take time and get all the dimensions and all those curves right. The final fit and look depend on it. The precision work that goes in every CalypsoCase is unprecedented. The industry tolerance standard in leather manufacturing, and what you would expect from other manufacturers, is around 2-3mm (0.08-0.12 inch). We get it down to a 0.1mm (0.004 inch).

Once we have all the pieces in place and the prototypes right we need to manufacture all the tools needed for production. Many parallel running processes are required to deliver the final CalypsoCase to you. There are more than 65 fine precision tools and knives made of aluminium, steel and polycarbonate behind all CalypsoCase designs and iPhone models.

Genuine leather arrives from Italy. Fine silk paper in which the CalypsoCase is wrapped is shipped from the UK. Packaging is made near our studio. The paper for your certificates comes from Austria and our friends at DHL and UPS are on standby to express deliver your final CalypsoCase to you.

Handcrafting is such a special inherited art that cannot be replicated and cloned as the business grows. There is no way to just add machines and robots to speed up our process. There are only so many experienced craftsmen that master the precision handwork needed for our products to be labeled as precision handcrafted.

We are in the final stages and the first products are being prepared for delivery. All your orders will be going out in the coming days and weeks, depending on when you placed your order. We are expecting to cut down the lines by the end of the month so we can ship all the new orders the same day they are placed.

We are grateful for your patience and support of fine European art and are excited to see your response when you receive and use your luxury CalypsoCase.

AlexDB9

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
^Hehe beat me by minutes

Just received a very nice letter from our friends at Calypso. Seems shipment is very near....

I found it cool they would send out such a detailed letter, makes me feel better about the (possible) end product

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
^Hehe beat me by minutes

Just received a very nice letter from our friends at Calypso. Seems shipment is very near....

I found it cool they would send out such a detailed letter, makes me feel better about the (possible) end product

Yup me too, I've never gotten a letter like that from any case manufacturer before :cool:

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
+1

Yep, Matej Kurent, the author of that letter, is one of the founders of Calypso Case. And it's just smart business to let his customers know what's going on. If more companies did this, there would be more success stories with small start-ups. Calypso was funded with the EU equivalent of Kickstarter.

However, unlike Kickstarter, these folks aren't a bunch of bozos selling tube socks by expressway off-ramps.:D Bottom line: all the renderings, specs, and 3D models are essentially useless until the actual phone is in hand.

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Didn't get that email, and I have sent three emails over the past 7 days without a response back.
Really considering canceling my order over this incredibly poor customer service.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
I totally understand why you're considering cancelling your order. OTOH, I'd hate to see you miss out on something special that few others will have.

I'm looking at 4 weeks tomorrow; and I understood it would be 3-4 weeks before mine shipped. This is the conundrum with specialty items made by hand which I why I bought an Apple leather case in the interim.

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I totally understand why you're considering cancelling your order. OTOH, I'd hate to see you miss out on something special that few others will have.

I'm looking at 4 weeks tomorrow; and I understood it would be 3-4 weeks before mine shipped. This is the conundrum with specialty items made by hand which I why I bought an Apple leather case in the interim.

Yeah. What really gets to me is the fact that Manca, their customer service agent, has yet to respond to any emails I have sent in the past week.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
Yeah. What really gets to me is the fact that Manca, their customer service agent, has yet to respond to any emails I have sent in the past week.

There is NO excuse for that.

Poor CS and delays reported on forums and blogs can bankrupt companies in a New York second. We Apple people tend to be a bit pickier than everyone else when it comes to product. Conversely, complaints to banks and CC companies about unshipped products put those companies under a microscope. I've personally been responsible for Visa denying more than one merchant the ability to process transactions; either debit or credit.

As a company trying to gain a toe-hold in the U.S. luxury accessory market, these are not games you want to play...you'll lose.

AnnArborHeel

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
There is NO excuse for that.

Poor CS and delays reported on forums and blogs can bankrupt companies in a New York second. We Apple people tend to be a bit pickier than everyone else when it comes to product. Conversely, complaints to banks and CC companies about unshipped products put those companies under a microscope. I've personally been responsible for Visa denying more than one merchant the ability to process transactions; either debit or credit.

As a company trying to gain a toe-hold in the U.S. luxury accessory market, these are not games you want to play...you'll lose.

Jesus, full of yourself much?

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Yep. Up to my eyebrows. ;)

Have you looked at Calypso's web site? Their stuff isn't cheap. For the kind of scratch they're charging, it's not at all unreasonable to expect an email reply to questions.

Agreed. And a week with no response is unacceptable.
I'll give them another 24 hours.

AnnArborHeel

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Yep. Up to my eyebrows. ;)

Have you looked at Calypso's web site? Their stuff isn't cheap. For the kind of scratch they're charging, it's not at all unreasonable to expect an email reply to questions.

Sure, I agree.

But I never said it wasn't unreasonable.

What I DID say was that you were full of yourself, as the rest of your post clearly indicates.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
I actually really like these cases but I can't tell from their photos if it has a slight lip to it or not.

Yep. One member commented that Calypso hadn't posted any actual pictures of their new cases, just renderings. I know the last Piel Frama I had for my 5 had a slight lip; probably for the magnetic closure.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I asked Manca from their Customer Service a couple weeks ago about the lip on the screen side -- she said it does have one and would protect the screen when laying it face down.

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Was finally emailed back a week later only for them to tell me my case will be delayed another week. So my 3-4 week wait will now be around 6 weeks. :confused:

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Hopefully next week :confused: I'll be patient for a while longer, there's really not many other finely made leather cases out there -- which is surprising considering the huge market for quality made cases now.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
Sounds to me like they are having some major production issues.

I'd have to agree. There's really no good reason not to have actual pictures up by now; especially if you're claiming to ship next week.

What drew me to these was the uniqueness of the design; definitely not something you'll be seeing everyone else carrying. Or me carrying, for that matter, if they don't get them out the door ;)

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I'd have to agree. There's really no good reason not to have actual pictures up by now; especially if you're claiming to ship next week.

What drew me to these was the uniqueness of the design; definitely not something you'll be seeing everyone else carrying. Or me carrying, for that matter, if they don't get them out the door ;)

Yup! This seems very similar to when Element Case was just starting up a few years ago. Everyone fell in love with the renderings of the Vapor case -- because it was something unique... then they kept giving excuses and pushing the shipping date back as every week passed. Finally they admitted to having design flaws and production issues. Hope it doesn't happen here, but all too similar... and the lack of real photos of any part of the case isn't helping :confused:

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Also something weird I noticed is the picture of their leather they posted looks nothing like any of the cases shown on their website. It looks nice, but seems the grain is much different.

Attachments

• leather.png
    leather.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • CalypsoCrystal_CalypsoCase_iPhone6_new_cabrio-black-2_1024.jpg
    CalypsoCrystal_CalypsoCase_iPhone6_new_cabrio-black-2_1024.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 127

yubakram

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Phoenix
I ordered the Cabrio "Mysterious Sydney Morning" for the the Plus on Monday and Manca stated:

"We ship our products worldwide with DHL delivery service. Due to incredible demand we expect to ship newest orders case in 2 weeks."

That and the note from Matej:

"We are in the final stages and the first products are being prepared for delivery. All your orders will be going out in the coming days and weeks, depending on when you placed your order. We are expecting to cut down the lines by the end of the month so we can ship all the new orders the same day they are placed."

I am staying positive and hoping that they are in full swing..... and orders will start going out early next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.