Any chance replacement 6's are refurbs yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Oct 7, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Not yet, the replacements for the 6/6 Plus still should be brand new. It make take about 2-3 month after to see the refurbs coming in.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They typically appear around the 2-month mark, sometimes earlier.

4. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Does it really matter? I buy refurbished electronics all the time; and if it weren't for the packaging, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference from a new one.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, it in theory doesn't matter because all refurbs from Apple receive a brand new case, screen and battery (although white box replacement 6/6+s are brand new rather than refurbs at this time). People are just anal-retentive.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Could be. It has been a few weeks since launch..

8. itjw macrumors 65816

1000% YES

You'll never be able to tell even 11 months from now though.

If it makes you feel better to think they aren't "dirty refurbs" then go for it, but they are. Your serial number won't match, and you'll always have to wonder why it was returned to begin with...

Or you can get over it and enjoy the phone.

Whatever works

9. nero1001 macrumors newbie

I had to get a replacement iphone 6 plus yesterday. They gave me the option of sending my original phone away and receiving a brand new boxed replacement as I'd ordered it online or I could do a direct swap in store.

I asked if they were refurbs and the sales advisor told me they have no means to repair phones at the moment and as I was within my 14 days (I reported the issue on the 12th day) he wouldn't have let me take a refurb regardless anyway even if they did have refurb stock.

This correlates with what the advisor said when I called Apple to report the issue, he advised all stores are carrying brand new stock for replacements (I'd asked in case I needed to prepare to be without a phone if they needed to send it away for repair). :)

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

My local Apple Store said they are still doing iPhone 6 swaps for new ones. Don't know how soon this will change to refurbs.

11. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it does matter.

12. davetheduck macrumors member

If you're returning your phone because YOU damaged it then I wouldn't complain about the possibility of getting a refurb.

13. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I bet there are "refurbs" now (if that's what you want to call them).

I believe Apple uses most phones returned as replacements, and doesn't do a damn thing to them. Yellow screen? Box it back up and send it to the next guy and see if he just accepts it. Oh, blotches on screen? Box it back up and send it to the next guy and see if he just accepts it.

14. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about?

15. davetheduck macrumors member

16. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I got a replacement 6+ today because there was something inside the glass screen(not under it). I didnt get a brand new unopened box but I believe it was a brand new device.

17. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

If I worked as an Apple Genius I wouldn't be able to be on this forum at all. Threads like this would legit piss me off if I was and make me despise every obsessive perfectionist type customer that came to me asking for an exchange.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think we're getting to the point where they may be showing up, especially if many people are returning theirs because its too big or are afraid it will be bend

19. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Quit evading the obvious connection like we don't see it :rolleyes:

You start a thread yesterday talking about how you scratched your phone, then, 7 hours later... you start another thread asking if replacement 6's are brand new.

That'd be like me starting a thread asking about various blunt objects... then starting another thread a few hours later asking how to dispose of a body.

21. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ass-ume

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You nailed it on the head!;)

I am beting the refurbs are in stock and ready for their new owners!:p
    Some of these returned phones were hardly used if used at all and they could just wipe off the finger prints, put some plastic on them and send them to the stores!

23. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I was a Genius for almost 7 years (I recently escaped to the engineering department in a corporate environment... Night and day career move).

I'm here to say that as recently as June when I worked for Fruit, we had no way to tell what the history of the phones were in the white boxes behind the Genius Bar. According to our regional service director, the phones inside could be new ones seized from the China assembly line to satisfy a need of a particular configuration, and plenty, yes, had refurbished components inside.

If you follow Apple at all, you'd know their refurbished products ALWAYS include new external casing, battery and screen. Therefore you can't see a difference. I never had a genius in the back building refurb phones from dusty old parts. And for what it's worth, speaking on the Mac front, I saw many more macs purchased brand new come in for service than I ever did ones purchased refurb.

Especially now that I don't work there (bye discount), refurbished Apple products bought from Apple are the best way to save a few pennies if you don't need yesterday's latest release, and in my professional experience they work and look every bit as well as brand new ones.

My advice is let go of the refurb stigma.... Most companies today ship refurb parts as a policy, Apple actually makes great effort to satisfy customers. I bought a HP printer last year, DOA on Day 2. They happily overnighted me a refurbished one (which probably cost them well over $150) that looked identical to my new one and has worked trouble free for 8 months. No, I don't feel cheated.

24. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Nice post full of good infomation, bookmarked and will reference it in the future when it applies :)

It's good to hear it from a former genius. I agree that people need to get over the refurb stigma when it comes to Apple products. In the past I've actually preferred them over new since I know they have new parts and have been thoroughly inspected (compared to a brand new unit).

25. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seeing the difference is not the problem. Whether or not the internals went through the ringer and, while no problems are apparent in testing, have extremely reduced lifespan is.