Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys. I hate the new iTunes under Sierra. It seems it is just made to promote Apple Music. All the good features are gone. So I am considering to get an alternative player for my Mac.

I need a small lightweight app that will play songs from my iTunes library. No need for Apple music, no need for radio, movies or music videos, no need for iPhone management, backups or apps. I will use iTunes for that stuff occasionally.

What I use heavily is the genius feature and I love and chose what to listen to often by cover art and my star rating. Also I need my playlist and sometimes I listen by genres. The icing would be if I could create playlists inside that app and still see them in iTunes and my iPhone.

Is there any good app that would suit my needs?

Thanks

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
I like the VOX Player, doesn't really do a lot more than playing music, just needs to be locked down during setup a little, if I remember correctly one day it sent me a notification saying something like "How about listening to a few songs?" which annoyed me, but overall I think it really fits what you described and I am happy with it so far.

http://coppertino.com/

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Problem is stuff like star rating is nowhere to be found on other apps.
Also smart playlist.
Well. I may have missed something.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you'd lose the genius thing (i guess), but what about just disabling the store?? i just disable it in restrictions, listen to my music. personally, i think itunes is the best it's ever been (finally)...

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Both the music app on iOS10 and iTunes on macOS Sierra is way too focused on Apple Music. I haven't subscribed and I never will so I think it's really annoying how both iTunes and the music app are basically saying GET APPLE MUSIC very loudly. If I turn off Apple Music in the settings I don't want any mention of radio and I want to be able to klick on the artist when in album view (on iOS). That was possible in iOS9 but now you need to have Apple Music on browse the Apple Music artist page. Also I think the new system where you see these huge albums is really stupid and hard to use. Scrolling through an artist page and finding an album was really easy before, but now it's clunky and I don't listen to as misch music on my phone as I used to. Another thing that annoys me is that they removed the info about how long the song is when you're viewing an album :( and designwise it's not good either. When a song is playing the cover is smaller the buttons are bigger and everything is more childish and less classy. Imo iOS 9 had the perfect music app!

As far as iTunes is concerned, I disabled both radio and Apple Music and it remains hidden! However I think it's a shame that they removed the color matched backgrounds in album view and it's odd that they remove most of the artist covers.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I use iTunes 10.4.1. Renamed it so I can keep a copy of the latest version around for when I need to use the store etc.
It still runs under Sierra. It plays my music library and some radio stations, and it doesn't try to sell me stuff.
There's threads in this forum on how to do it.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
But I need the iTunes store since I still buy music. I need genius, I need cover art and I need the star rating.

How can I get an old iTunes app?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
iTunes Store and Apple Music are separated options, you can disable Apple Music and keep the iTunes Store. Star rating are still in iTunes.
Just take a look at the iTunes preferences, you will find everything you want.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
What are your objections exactly? Sierra didn’t change much of iTunes, just the Apple Music part is different. Apple Music can be disabled and hidden from the interface.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok I disabled Apple Music. Thanks. That was helpful. Now I need genius back. :)

I tried downloading iTunes 9 but it won't install. It says newer version is already installed. Is there any way to run an old version of iTunes side by side with the current iTunes version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.