any "just as good quality" but cheaper than PowerSupport Crystal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gnychis, Mar 15, 2011.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

I love the PowerSupport crystal screen protectors. They are great in terms of giving you the same feel as glass, and being ultra clear. However, their price is killer. I feel like I am shelling out more money for a piece of plastic than a well engineered case of some sort.

Especially as I look at the PowerSupport crystal iPhone 4 pricing and the iPad 2 pricing ($30!).

Has anyone run in to other favorites that are less expensive?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

SGP is supposed to be as good. But word of warning: once you use and expect the quality of power support, it will be very hard to go down.

Look at jr.com. Usually they sell crystal power support for $15.

Edit, save yourself 15 bucks:

http://www.jr.com/m/record.mhtml?R=psu_60102100101

3. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm missing something but on the Power Support site, both of their crystal sets (and the anti-glare) are $14.95...Where are you paying $30?

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

MONOPRICE.COM screen protectors, just try them and you will never go back....You will never again buy the overpriced ones that I and everyone else has boughten over the years. They last just as long and are just as good. What can you lose by trying for a less than a $1 a piece? trust me you will like them :)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=iphone+4&x=0&y=0

5. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

This may be an exaggeration but yes, Monoprice are awesome for the price. I used them when I was trying on multiple cases for several months and they are solid. They are a little difficult to lay flat, but once you do they are on par with the SGP crystal ones only without the stupid single cutout for the earpiece and camera.

As for PS screen shields, those are the best. They are easy to apply, perfectly cutout, work with pretty much every case besides a few sliders, and feel great.

6. clactonlad macrumors member

Plus 1 for monoprice! I always used invisible shield but gave these SP's a try a few months back. AWESOME! Feels like i am touching the glass and they are crystal clear, give them a try!

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed for those who voted for Monoprice. I'd also recommend you check out eBay as well since there are a lot of cheap ones on there too. Some of them may be hit or miss but since you're going to be paying $4-$5 bucks for 6 of them, not really a bad deal or a huge hit on your wallet.

8. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

this really depends on the kind of person you are

I don't use screen protectors but when I did I would only buy quality SGP or Power Support. it takes me about 20 minutes to apply the protectors, always making sure to work in a dust free environment.

the problem with the cheap shields is they scratch a lot easier. To me it's not worth the savings when you're perfectly OCD applied shield has to be removed/replace much more often.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Dunno, my monoprice protector has been on for a month and looks great still, 20 minutes to put them on? Takes me about 3 minutes max and 2 minutes of that is just being sure the screen is clean.

10. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

11. clactonlad macrumors member

Yeah it took me 4 minutes to put my monoprice shield on and 4 months later it's still scratch free and looks awesome!

12. Mark98xlt macrumors newbie

I love the otterbox ones that come with my commuter and impact series, I wonder who makes them for otterbox?

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I don't understand the hype over PowerSupport. I have one on my iPhone 4 and while it is great in terms of clarity and lack of bubbles, by no means is it significantly better than other screen protectors I've used. The only thing that's different is that its thicker. I will say that I've had it on since September or so and it has held up well and hasn't bubbled or peeled, but its heavily scratched.

14. gordita macrumors member

mucho gracias for this link!
    I was about to pay the $20+ to Power Support but instead bought 5 of these from monoprice.

we'll see if the phrase 'you get what you pay for' is about to be validated or not...

15. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Follow-up

So, resurrecting an old thread-- was the monoprice as good as the Power Support crystal?

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Pick up 3 pack of Pure Gear shields at any VZW corporate store for $14.99 less your employer discount. I haven't found any shields as thin as Pure Gear's at .20 mm. They are crystal clear. I just ordered PureTek Shield Kit for iPhone 4/4S - Screen & Back from their website because I want a shield for my back. They are easy to install but VZW corporate store will install for you.

17. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's only 15 bucks and it's noting it's a one time use. It lasts for a while maybe even the whole lifetime of your phone... While protecting that screen! Why not invest in 15 bucks.

18. docprego macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time understanding how $15 for 2 screen protectors is expensive to protect a screen on a $600 phone. That's inexpensive IMO.

For the record I have had the following screen protectors on my 4S:

Case logic clear that came with a case.
    SGP Ultra Optics
    3M Natural View (clear protector)
    Power Support Crystal

The Power Support is by far my favorite.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Ever tried PureTek by Pure Gear? You don't hear many people talking about them. They are far my favorite.

20. mbh87 macrumors member

I picked up some VectorGuards off Amazon, 6 for $12. I use to only run the SGP Crystals but got tired of spending so much on protectors. The Vectors are good enough for me, no worse than the SGPs, IMO. The fit is almost too perfect though, makes it pretty tough to get lined up as they aren't cut short, if that makes sense.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004X2WR16/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1322194998&sr=8-4

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Does Verizon sell both front and back protective film?

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

No only the front unfortunately. Verizon sells the Pure Gear shield. Pure Gear is only company I can find that actually posts thickness which is .2 mm very thin. I just ordered PureTek front and back directly from Pure Gear because I like them that much. The Verzon ones come in a pack of 3 fronts only for $14.99. There are 2 reasons why I use Pure Gear, 1) only shields I can find that are 'compatible' with Otterbox Defender 2) they are crystal clear and good quality.

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The last three letters in what you said are the key. Expensive and inexpensive are both highly subjective. I don't consider SGP or Power Support to be expensive but there are plenty that do.

24. SipperyPete macrumors regular

I currently have one of the switcheasy screen protectors on my phone, but notice a considerable "rainbow effect" in artificial light. I have a 3 pack of these pure gears sitting on my desk but don't really like the single cutout for the camera and earpiece, however, if they are truly crystal clear with no rainbows, then I may go ahead and put one on. Can you confirm that there is absolutely no rainbow effect on these?

I'm very torn on sticking with crystal altogether. I saw a matte protector the other day and it looked awesome. My concern with matte protectors is the slight decrease in screen clarity. What is considered the best matte protector for both front and back? SGP? How is the screen clarity?

25. docprego macrumors 65816

IMO matte protectors (with the exception of SGP Ultra Optics) degrade the retina display significantly.

I see no rainbow effect at all with the Power Support Crystal.