iPad mini Any LTE rMinis without screen problems?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonMPLS, Dec 27, 2013.

1. JonMPLS, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

The local Apple finally has the ATT rMini model I want in stock (just came in today), but all the comments about image retention with the cellular models has me a little gun-shy.

Just interested to know if anyone has been able to buy one they are happy with.

Thanks!

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I seriously doubt the issue is specific to LTE models.

I'm sure there are tons of crap screens on wifi models as well

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd venture to say most people who are happy with their iPads are using them instead of posting threads about how they're happy.

Buy one, use it, if you encounter problems that impact normal usage then get it swapped out. Don't let your decision be governed by the Sheldon Coopers of MacRumors.

4. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies! (Need a "cheers" smily in the menu!)

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

My rMini cellular is great. My family has probably owned about 20 iPads since the first version and I have never seen one with a bad screen. That either means that I have a tolerant eye, or that you only see a small percentage voicing their displeasure on MacRumors.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

7. msavwah macrumors 6502

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I just got my r-mini on the 26th. I tested it, but the boxes disappear from grey screen in a matter of seconds.
    I'm not sure if it's image retention on my eyes or signs of burn in. There is still about two weeks to exchange.
    The screen looks nice, otherwise.

9. rajpatel macrumors regular

The screens are great. These OCD freaks who see things are not. And they are one per thousand, and therefore worthless. A waste of space. Tell me I'm wrong. Look me in the eye when u do it or u wrong

10. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Yep- Sitting right here on the table beside me - 64GB Verizon LTE rMini bought one week ago at an Apple Store - Perfect display - no image retention that I can detect, no yellowing issues, bright and sharp. They do exist.

11. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Go get it and enjoy it. Don't listen to the whiners. Every product that comes out has doomsday complainers. It has been that way from the beginning. Some of these juveniles really have strange ideas.

12. rajpatel macrumors regular

It makes me sad cuz, my god, what a nice product and good workmanship and quality and u have people abusing the system badly and driving up price for us all. I mean, when I look at this display and think just a year ago I was using a crappy hp that became so hot for the first time ever I thought about my personal safety around an electronic device, no joke. But that's mainly cuz I will just end up going to sleep reading some ebook off the comp. ever since I can remember. Point is, these people should not be allowed more than one return or possibly two. If apple banned me from buying the mini cuz I already bought it and returned it that is completely fair to me

13. jsd79 macrumors member

14. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

15. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

My first one did slightly so I returned it for a refund. Then I got another one a week ago and it was perfect. I realized I needed more space so returned it and got a 32 mini instead and it's perfect too. So maybe they are fixing the problem as the new ones ship. I know mines a fresh one since bestbuy got it in that morning and by the serial number. I love mine! Fits right into the family with my iMac, MacBook Pro retina, iPhone and time capsule! And that's just my stuff. My wife and son both have iPhones and iPads as well. And we also own 2 apple tvs and another AirPort Extreme to extend our range. No problems with any of it.

16. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Got a Verizon LTE 64 GB. I had a problem with the home button and swapped it out and I love the replacement. It is a bright even white display. I read a lot on it and never see any ghosting or retention problems when I read. When the whole screen retention issue began getting reported on the blogs, I did the test on my first generation Mini, it had the "problem". I did it on my work iPad 4, it also had the "problem". I refuse to do the "Screen Retention Test" on my new Mini with retina. If I see a retention problem in real world usage, its a problem, Having used the 2 that supposedly failed the test each for over a year, and having never had a real world issue with either showing any images retaining anything, I will just assume it is not the big issue the blogs make it out to be.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This. Just buy it. I haver had a bad screen on two iPads, every iPhone since the original and several MacBooks.

Just enjoy it.

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Couldn't agree more. LTE AT&T versions of the mini, 64 & 128. No IR. Incredibly bright, no weird screen tint issues, bad pixels...or any of the other complaints you see on the board. Tens of millions have been sold. Even if there a hundred 'real' issues on this board...it represents less than a hundredth of a percentage point of ALL iPads sold. No one is noticing it. It's not an issue in real world usage (I'm sure there are certainly bad 'Apples' as it's a mass produced product). The folks with problems and issues are going to have the loudest voices. Those without have NO reason to even participate in these threads much less run torture tests in their new iPad COMPLETELY void of any real world usage imaging and declaring their iPad a 'dud'. While I've owned an iPad 2 since launch and several others....each iteration in fact. I'm not willing to try the test so take my results with a grain....but, that said, when the test was performed on the '2'---an iPad we've used now almost three years...it failed. Never, EVER once did it come up in everyday usage.

Buy with confidence. Get a dud, change it out. Apple is the top of the heap with post purchase support

J

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an LTE rMini and the screen is perfect - I'm a happy camper. Sorry to see you've had issues :(

20. TheSwede macrumors regular

Just picked up a 128gb LTE version - no issues whatsoever.

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Running my TMO/64 since launch day shipping (2months?) with zero screen or other issues. And I I'm speaking as someone who did have retention issues with the v1:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1643048

Set about to do the test until I saw x minutes in the instructions. If you need a screen that won't ghost after that much time, you'll be much older when it's ready.

Get what you want, apple is there if it misbehaves.

22. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I had a problem with yellow screens on the first 3 Airs I got so I am picky, but my first rMini (16GB LTE) has a good screen and is a keeper. I don't know if it matters but it was week 48 from Foxconn.

23. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the input. I bought an ATT rMini today, week 51. Very nice little unit! No image retention evident. VERY slightly warmer screen on the bottom towards the home button. Hesitate to use the term yellow even, just slightly warmer than the top of the screen. Guessing this is not too unusual.

24. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I exchanged my perfect 32GB Verizon model for a 128GB Verizon model this morning, Been using it all day and it too is perfect. Been reading books and haven't seen any image retention. Even left a page on screen for about ten minutes and it was still good.

DLXLW

25. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

Week 51

Just a FYI regarding week 51; DLXLW

No image retention or bleed, but some tone shift from cool to warm. As with all the other reports I have seen, this is towards the home button. (Where is the backlight on these things? Perhaps this relates to the location of the backlight?)

Kind of on the fence regarding returning. My guess is that if you look close enough, most screens will have a degree of tone shift.

[​IMG]