Any news on the non-glossy MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I do not like glossy screens, and yes I've seen the new MBPs in person. I really like it, except for the glass on the screen.

I am always somewhere with lights around me and the gloss will bother me (Graphic designer).

The only options I have is to either go with a refurb 15" or a new 17"....or try to find some old stock from Amazon or whatever. I would also like to have the new graphic cards in there as well, but....the screen. Bleh!

I don't think Apple is stupid enough to not have matte screens...or are they? :rolleyes:

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Glassy Glossy is the wave of the future. Haven't you seen the new commercials? I don't think you will see matte.

FWIW, the glassy screen is not bad unless you plan on using your MBP in the park at 3 PM in July.

3. djwobble macrumors regular

I did a simple search on google for "Anti-glare screens for new macbook pro" and it came up with one. It was $35... I have never used one and I didn't order one as I don't have the Glossy Screen.. I have used an Anti-glare screen on my iphone and it works great.

Maybe someone else on the board has used one...

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I hate glossy. I have an HP laptop and I hate seeing myself and hiding from the sunlight just to get work done.

And yes I plan to use it in the sunlight at 3PM :)

I think Apple forgot about one of their loyal markets: designers.

Now they are just after catering your average Joe :(

No matte screen sticker is going to help. We want real matte.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have an Anti-glare screen on my iPhone too...it kind of looks like crap. It was the one I bought from the Apple store.

It doesn't look that good and it will bother my work.

6. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

:Hangs up designer hat: Well that does it guess I need to find another job, since I'm just an average joe with my glassbook pro. :rolleyes:

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I know, graphic designers are such a huge share of the market. :rolleyes:

Either turn down the lights or, buy something else. I am sitting here, in a well lit room, typing, and I see no reflection.

Have you even tried the new MBP?

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Obviously the designers and the movie industry are one of Apples most loyal user bases. This dates back to print design where people stuck with the G3's and on. And the market share is not as big as regular users like yours. The bloggers or whatever.

You're not seeing reflection because you have your screen adjusted to a certain position and you're probably hiding away from the light.

Try sitting somewhere where the light hits the screen directly and you have no choice to move.

Yes I've tried the new MBPs. They are lovely, except for the screen. How hard would it be for Apple to add a matte screen? I sent them feedback, hopefully others do as well. If a matte screen MBP comes out in a few months, my wallet shall be emptied.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Now, you are professing to know how I am using my MBP. As I said, I am in a well lit room. I am not hiding from any light, I have a 120 w lamp shining right over my shoulder. My MBP is in my lap. I see no reflection. If I hold the MBP right up to the lamp then, yes I do.

Apple has chosen to go with glass because of its recyclable properties which, I for one am happy to see. If that doesn't jive with you then, buy another computer or, something to dim the screen.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Problem solved, you can get the new MBP 17". It has matte and glossy options at no extra cost. You can't get your cake and eat it too, sorry it does not have the new Nvidia card however it does have a 512MB 8600GT which is a very capable card. Please do not come back saying the 8600 has problems, Apple wouldn't be still selling the 17" with it if the problems are still existing.
    Go for it, end of story.

11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No, I am assuming that you haven't used a glossy screened laptop in a professional and "on the go" environment. Try using it in a room with alot of flouricent lights.

Apple chose glass because it is "in" just like all of their new shiny and unified look on the iMacs, the iPhones, etc.

I posted this thread to find out if there might have been talks about making matte screens, but knowing Apple, they usually never mention what's going to happen.

I've visited many forums and I am not the only one pissed off about the no matte screen option.

I do know my options, you don't have to tell me to "take a hike". You're not in my line of work so you don't know how it is. I thought the whole point of this forum was to have a discussion about Apple products. You're coming off a bit elitist here with your "take it or leave it" attitude. That's now how the world works.

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Well, you know what they say about assuming. I use my Pro, in a professional setting everyday and, it is more than stellar.

You seem to be a bit condescending so, I will ask you to take a hike.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm just hoping they will make the 17" MBP non-glossy. Is that possible with glass?:rolleyes:

14. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Non-glossy glass? Well if anyone can do it it's Apple.

15. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

A 17" is way too big for what I want to do. I don't want a desktop, already have a Mac Pro for that. I'm going to wait a few weeks if it doesn't work out, I'll search for a refurb last gen 15" or an older stock, hopefully there is some left.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop replying, thanks.

16. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Ummmm ... "elitist"?? Aren't you the one who said that the glossy screen is OK for the "average Joe" but it's not OK for real professionals like you? LMAO
    :rolleyes:

17. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Um how is being a professional elitist? It is a fact that most people who do not care about the glossy screen are average Joes, not that there is anything wrong with that. Those users do not push their computers to their limits. Same goes for musicians and hobbyists. A professional guitar player will know more about his tool than a hobbyist. I don't get your logic.

Go ask any professional about glossy screens. They'll give you a similar answer.

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

No ... I don't suppose that you would get it. :D

19. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ad hominem attacks are insanely pathetic. So typical of elitist users.

You fail just like the other guy.

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

What's your definition of a professional?

21. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

It is funny when someone makes frivolous posts and then ends up defending them.

22. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If you don't know by now then you are not a professional.

And what was my "frivolous" and unwarranted post? Trying to find out if there has been any talks regarding a matte screen option which Apple used to have? Oh, I'm sorry.

The almighty user above has spoken! I should have never asked this obnoxious question!

Oh how will we ever live without the other nonsensical posts such as "What color is Steve Jobs' underwear" or better yet "Does Steve Jobs snore?".

Quit. Now.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Excuse me Dave, but maybe you should take a good look at your own OP. You stated you were looking for a 15" OR 17".

24. toxic macrumors 68000

..the OP said he doesn't like glossy screens. It's simple as that. Why are you guys forcing it on him?

no he didn't, he said the the old 15" or the new 17" are his only options. Not exactly the same.

25. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi there,

thanks for the civilized response :)

I never said I was looking for the 17", maybe I should have made it clear.

What I meant to say was that there are 2 options out there if I want a matte screen, refurb 15" OR a brand new 17". But those were not my personal options.

I'm looking for a 15" version.

Exactly.

Thanks for being logical!!! :)

Seems to me that whenever someone doesn't like the things Apple does (or any other company for that matter) then they should just take a hike? Hmm. Smells like fanboyism.