Any of you guys planning on switching from AT&T to T-Mobile?

Switching from Att to Tmo?

• Yes (state reason)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • No (state reason)

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Staying with Att

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Going to another carrier i.e. Verizon/Sprint

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
that's an excellent deal, tmo paying $350 ETF to switch to them.. and their plans are generally $20-30 cheaper.

anyone knows if tmobile is offering gov't discount?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
Could you switch back and forth every year?
doesn't ATT also pay toward the ETF?

m3nphls

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Could you switch back and forth every year?
doesn't ATT also pay toward the ETF?
If both carriers still have the promotion yes. But for T-Mo it does require you to trade in your device and get a new one from them and if you switch back you will still have to pay the full balance of equipment.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
If both carriers still have the promotion yes. But for T-Mo it does require you to trade in your device and get a new one from them and if you switch back you will still have to pay the full balance of equipment.
oh, OK. gotcha.
I guess I was thinking have an iPhone 5 on ATT, switch that to T-Mo and the 5S...then after a year, switch to ATT and trade-in the phone there for the iPhone6

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This only works for those customers who wanted to go to tmobile anyway but were just waiting out their contracts.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
oh, OK. gotcha.
I guess I was thinking have an iPhone 5 on ATT, switch that to T-Mo and the 5S...then after a year, switch to ATT and trade-in the phone there for the iPhone6
i don't think you HAVE to trade in your phone.

ETF- 300
Phone trade- 350

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
This only works for those customers who wanted to go to tmobile anyway but were just waiting out their contracts.
Yup. Those who never planned on leaving don't care if they will pay your ETF. But I think there will be a lot of people who will now make the switch. As Legere said yesterday, doesn't hurt to leave AT&T and then come back and get that $200 bucks credit as well. that is unless you have "unlimited" data plan with AT&T.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Yup. Those who never planned on leaving don't care if they will pay your ETF. But I think there will be a lot of people who will now make the switch. As Legere said yesterday, doesn't hurt to leave AT&T and then come back and get that $200 bucks credit as well. that is unless you have "unlimited" data plan with AT&T.
I'm not giving up my unlimited data. I'm 1 week into my billing cycle and I am already at 9 gigs of data.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not giving up my unlimited data. I'm 1 week into my billing cycle and I am already at 9 gigs of data.
Not with AT&T your not!

T-Mobile is making excellent moves. Will it be enough though? Everybody bitches about the EDGE coverage in rural areas. Those customers need Verizon. T-Mobile does, however, need to fix the EDGE holes in major cities. Then they'll be good.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I'm planning to switch but I need to wait until my contract is up with AT&T later this year. It's a bit complicated to make the switch now and have to give up my iPhone 5 and upgrade to an iPhone 5S.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
You're not throttled? If that's true, maybe AT&T stopped throttling to make sure their customers don't leave. I just called AT&T for my gf's accounts and they tried really hard to keep her 4 lines. Although all they did was explain to me what T-Mobile was offering and how T-Mobile works with financing and all. That was funny. They knew about T-Mobile better than T-Mobile sales. But in the end, AT&T didn't have anything to offer me to stay.

----------

I'm planning to switch but I need to wait until my contract is up with AT&T later this year. It's a bit complicated to make the switch now and have to give up my iPhone 5 and upgrade to an iPhone 5S.
Wait till summer. I hear iPhone 6 is coming in June. If not, get JUMP with your iPhone 5S and get a iPhone in 6 months. if not in June, than wait a year.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
i switched to Tmo from AT&T ironically for better LTE coverage. I live in a place where ATT doesn't have LTE yet but Tmobile had it 7 months ago.

Unlimited data with NO Throttling EVER is nice as well.

cwwilson

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
When I got my 5S I re-upped with AT&T. Plus I'm not sure T-Mobile is up to snuff around these parts. I'm always going to keep my options open though and I like what TMo is doing. Maybe in a year or so I'll give it another look.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
i switched to Tmo from AT&T ironically for better LTE coverage. I live in a place where ATT doesn't have LTE yet but Tmobile had it 7 months ago.

Unlimited data with NO Throttling EVER is nice as well.
Ya - I live in DFW so we have AT&T and TMo LTE.....

I'm considering making some switches purely because it'll save some money AND I'll be able to upgrade more often with JUMP.

Current AT&T (5 Lines + 2 iPads) = $379.95
Potential T-Mobile (5 Lines) = $295.43

The AT&T plan has 3 unlimited data users (all on iPhone 5's), 2 5GB users (one 5, one 5C), 1 3GB iPad and 1 250 MB iPad. The TMo plan includes financing prices for new iPhone 5S's for 4 lines and a 5C for the fifth and all unlimited data.

Not too shabby. Need to make sure I'm calculating the device monthly costs correctly though. I basically took the trade-in estimates for my family's iPhone 5's and subtracted them from the total $600 cost of a new 5S. Then divide by 24. Not sure if that's now it works.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
yep
i have 2 lines ending this coming september and october and 2 more in january 2015
going to t-mobile next year or later this year since i'll save $100 a month

as long as i get a signal strong enough to text, i don't care if AT&T has LTE where the cows live. i'm on wifi most of the time.

----------

most people use less and will probably go to t-mobile causing AT&T and verizon to raise prices on everyone

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You're not throttled? If that's true, maybe AT&T stopped throttling to make sure their customers don't leave.
AT&T is still throttling and I am no exception. I am currently throttled but LTE is pretty good in my area and I can still stream netflix while throttled.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
AT&T is still throttling and I am no exception. I am currently throttled but LTE is pretty good in my area and I can still stream netflix while throttled.
interesting... I was under the impression that it's throttled to EDGE speeds but I guess that's not the case. Well, it works for you so keep it. I would.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Not now. Recently signed a contract with AT&T and my bill isn't too bad. Wouldn't really gain anything from switching to T-Mobile. But I like T-Mobile and the whole uncarrier movement and hope it goes far.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
That's cool about the Netflix :) Would you do a speed test, and post it here? I also have the unlimited AT&T plan, but have never gone over their cut off for throttling. I'm curious to see what kind of speed I can expect when I do cross over that magical line. Thanks!

----------

...Will it be enough though? Everybody bitches about the EDGE coverage in rural areas. Those customers need Verizon. T-Mobile does, however, need to fix the EDGE holes in major cities. Then they'll be good.
What did you mean about Verizon? That Verizon's LTE coverage is better?

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't really have a compelling reason to switch. I get a 20% FAN discount through my employer. I recently added my mom to my account, and the fact that T-Mobile has spotty data coverage around my area is doesn't really push me in the direction to switch. If TMO would upgrade their towers, I would certainly consider switching, but not at this time.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
That's cool about the Netflix :) Would you do a speed test, and post it here? I also have the unlimited AT&T plan, but have never gone over their cut off for throttling. I'm curious to see what kind of speed I can expect when I do cross over that magical line.

Its throttled to 0.50 MBPS across the board once you cross 5gb. Some streaming services are still usable.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
.5 mbps is fine for streaming audio like Pandora with a little buffering but I doubt you're watching Netflix or any other video streaming service with speeds that low without buffering every few seconds.