iPad mini Any other iPad mini owners considering upgrading to iPad mini (2nd gen)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DerfBWH, Oct 9, 2013.

1. DerfBWH macrumors 6502

Am I crazy for considering it or is anyone with me? After upgrading to iOS 7 on my beloved mini I can't help but be disappointed and want the new mini's inevitable oomph. The RAM limitations on the current mini really bit Apple in the butt with iOS 7 - I can't stand even switching tabs on Safari with mine anymore.

Any other thoughts or people considering the same?

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on upgrading, but everything depends on what Apple actually comes up with as far as an upgrade. Not going to whip out my credit card until after the announcement.

Clint

3. gooberwilson macrumors regular

gooberwilson

I'm also considering it. I'm not saying that I will until I see what happens though. I agree with you in that after updating to iOS 7, the power of the iPad mini just seems to be lacking. If the mini gets the A7 with retina I will likely go for it.

4. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah I'm considering it depending on what Apple bring. However my mini is doing just fine on ios7.

6. Stewart21 macrumors regular

No, my iPad Mini is 11 months old. IOS7 runs fine. At the moment I see no need for Retina Display (if it comes with that) so I'll probably wait for iPad Mini 3 this time in 2014.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Totally considering it. If it's retina with A7, ARM64, and more memory, that's a HUGE upgrade. Even more so if it has Touch ID. Sell the old one and you're probably only paying $100-$150 out of pocket. On assumed specs and price, it's a no-brainer.

There's no way I'm not upgrading unless the specs are a surprising disappointment or the price is jacked up to an unreasonable level.

iPad Mini 3 and 4 on the other hand will probably be completely skippable.

8. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

9. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Absolutely and without a doubt both ipad mini and ipad.

Allways update. The only time I wished I hadn't was the iphone 5s....a waste of an upgrade.

10. GBR macrumors 6502

If it's retina with A7 I'll be first in line.

If no retina...... well let's just say I'd loose a ton of respect for Apple.

11. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

My mini is my most used device (out of over 10). I had problems with the ram long before 7 and will be upgrading if and only if there is more, regardless of what else is or is not also changed. That said, I'll take as much else is included (even at a higher price point) if I don't have to give up weight and runtime.

12. MauerFan macrumors regular

You're not crazy. I might wait for the mini 3 just because I'm fine with mine. When I do upgrade I will definitely be getting at least 32GB, although 64GB is tempting.

13. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I already have a buyer for my current ipad mini just need new one to have retina display and Im good to go for new one.

14. superstarmc macrumors regular

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Just curious... So why do you always update? Why not wait to see if you like/ need the new hardware and then upgrade?? No chance of regrets, eh??

16. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Really? Why?

17. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I was thinking about this last night. These are the 2 feature sets I'd definitely upgrade if included:

1) A7 Chip and fingerprint scanner (1 GB of ram)

2) A7 chip, fingerprint scanner and retina display (1 GB of ram)

I think these are unlikely, however if they did include these I'd face the lines and the inevitable scramble to get one at launch.

What is more likely is:

Retina display and A6 chip. If they throw in the the fingerprint scanner I may upgrade after Xmas. I value the A7 chip over a retina display though.

19. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

just like you i got the exact same model, white 16gb. and im already maxing out my ipad memory.. will definitely get the 32gb mini 3 next year..

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My Mini with cellular is running fine. I see no lag, 16gb is enough space, and I rather hold unto it regardless of the proposed specs of the 2nd gen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! And I will save some money not upgrading considering what I paid for mine in the first place since I got a great deal on it to begin with.

21. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm 100% certain this won't happen. The A6 is not adequate to drive the retina display, it would require the A6X as a minimum and if that is the case then Apple would presumably be better served going with the A7. It will help to unify devices on the 64bit platform, it will be more power efficient and it will most likely mean less money to produce going forward as well.

22. DerfBWH thread starter macrumors 6502

Decided to go for it, just sold my 32GB iPad mini on eBay! Can't wait for the big announcement next week. :-D

23. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Def upgrading. Really want a better processor. Screen doesn't bother me to much. But I would love safari to have less refreshes and be much smoother. So def upgrading. Might sell my mini this weekend

24. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

What I would like is a bit of a faster processor. iOS7 slowed down a couple of games for me, sadly.

If it's nice enough, I may get it, at some point, once I save up some extra money.

25. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Let me ask this: If the iPad Mini (2nd gen) was to get similar specs to the iPad 4 and perform identically, would that be enough for you to dump the Mini and upgrade? Also this is assuming retina is NOT included... just a speed/ram bump.

I personally never had both to really compare but always thought the Mini was fine but the more and more I read, apparently I was a bit wrong?