Any vegetarians or vegans out there? Need your support.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I am thinking of either going Vegetarian or Vegan. There are a lot of health benefits, more energy and other things. I have started reading The China Study

http://tinyurl.com/yhl3lsw

Great book by the way. I was having dinner the other day with my Mother in Law and my wife. I was telling them my plans to take meat off my diet. I also told them I will stop eating fish because the traces of Mercury in fish does not cook out. It always stays in the fish. My mother in law stated "that people need to eat fish, it's good for you".

Long story short they disagree with the beliefs but still supportive. My wife says we need to eat meat. I disagree.

I just wanted to know some hard facts. Because I told them of all the chemicals and growth hormones in the meat. Either they didn't believe me or thought the chemicals in the meat was not strong enough to kill people.

We just had our physicals done with a doctor my wife has known most of her life. My wife asked about the health benefits of becoming a vegetarian or vegan. The doctor told me to do a trial run for six months. But he stated he did not know of any recent studies. I was just thinking the whole time "I'm reading The China Study" isn't that proof enough"?

So please share your experience if you are a vegetarian or vegan and how it has changed your life. I have just been showing them the book The China Study but that has been ineffective.

They are the kind of people that like to see reports from doctors from articles, tv shows or people's experiences.

Almost forgot to mention they both told me over dinner. That people still need to eat meat with moderation in mind and proper exercise.

The one negative I see converting to a Vegetarian is that my wife won't cook anymore for me. I will have to start cooking for myself which is fine by me. But she is a really good cook.

2. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Before you do this...
    All of the vegans and vegetarians I have known over the years - always got sick. I don't know if their immune system wasn't working at 100% or what.

You can have the same nutritional goals and results with a well balanced normal diet.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I have to say that EVERYBODY I have known over the years has gotten sick :)

OP, do your research and make a choice that you are comfortable with for your lifestyle
    Don't expect everyone to understand or support you either way
    And don't feel like you have to be an evangelist for your lifestyle regardless

4. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

My friend got really freaked out after reading Eating Animals and stopped eating meat. I've tried to go vegetarian but always come back to chicken/fish and then end up on red meat again. Why not try to limit the amount of meat you eat? This would allow you to meet most of your goals without giving meat up totally. Just make sure your meal is mostly starch/veggies and then supplement fruit/meat to make up the rest. Have you tried out Rocko's new book? Pretty good recipes that are easy also.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Eat-This-Americas-Favorite/dp/0345520904

Good luck either way you go!

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sheer idiocy.

I'm a 20+ year vegetarian. I get occasional colds and flues... just like the meat-eaters I work with.

You can be healthy and happy with a vegetarian diet.

I say, "Go for it, dude!"

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i would recommend doing it for your own "sh$# and giggles" meaning you want to do, then do it.

it will be hard, if not impossible, to gather enough conclusive evidence of health benefits from a vegan diet. Every person who is on a vegan diet swears that it is healthier meanwhile everyone else doesnt. haha. its like that with everything in life. The people I know who are vegan dont do it for health reasons, its more for political reasons or psychological issues.

for what its worth, these vegan friends generally dont do much exercise and complain very quickly only after a little physical activity. I've heard of quite a few vegans taking quite the amount of supplements to compensate for the lack of stuff they are eating.

but just think big picture..the healthiest of the healthy eat alot of junk and meat and fish. whatever. it really doesnt matter from a health perspective.

i would understand this more if you belong to PETA or etc.

7. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Yes, everyone gets sick.
    What I meant was, the vegetarians & vegans I have known over the years got sick alot more often than the rest of us.

Pot.
    Kettle.
    Black.

That has been my experience.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Been vegan 14 years.

Best decision I have ever made in my entire life, all this nonsense about vegans getting sick is just that, nonsense.

I know literally thousands of vegan's and not a single one of them has ever gotten sick as a result.

One of my best friends runs the site veganbodybuilding.com, if you're interested check it out.

A few more books for you to check out:

Mad Cowboy - Howard Lyman
    Thrive Diet- Brendan Brazier
    The Kind Diet - Alicia Silverstone

Anyway I have been doing this a long time, so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I can help you out.

The first month is the hardest, than after that most people find it is really, really easy.

If you do it right, you will feel 100 times better, and have loads more energy.

Here are some of my friends that are vegan

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_robert

My old roommate Ed ( I actually took these pictures)

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_bauer

Alex he is an M.D. from Germany

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_alex

My friend Jeremy who is on the Filipino Olympic team

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_jeremy

Anyway there are more but thats enough I think

Also checkout Organic Athlete and see if there is a chapter in your area

http://www.organicathlete.org/

I Never get sick.

I haven't gotten the flu or anything in 4 years

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

If you get your meat from a local, grass fed / free range place, then you shouldn't have to worry about the chemicals in it. Yes, I agree there are bad things in the majority of our food supply, but that doesn't mean you should stop eating meat. Just be more selective about where you buy it from.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do your research first. Many people all over the world are vegans/vegetarians and live healthy happy lives. More important from a health point of view is that you get sufficient nutrition, regardless of the source. Vegans must find high sources of plant protein like beans and quinoa. Vegetarians must avoid dairy products that are high in saturated fats. Its an obstacle course to be sure. I eat a low-meat diet so maybe meat or fish every second meal and grass-fed red meat only once per week and have no major health issues (knock on wood).

11. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Congrats? :confused:

12. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The vegetarian thing is actually pretty true. I find vegetarians actually have the biggest problems. Why?

Because they compensate there craving for meat by WAY overdoing the cheese.

If you're gonna do it, just be vegan.

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It's a personal choice really...

I gave up meat the past month just to see how it was (I've been eating fish and eggs though) and it's ok. I don't feel malnurished or anything because I've gotten plenty of protein from the seafood.

I have no moral objection to eating meat and I'm going to start again. Our Genus has been a long line of Omnivores and we've survived this long so I don't think it's killing us.

One of the big issues is the way most of the mean in people's diets is prepared. I find it much easier to just prepare meat in healthy ways than it is to give it up entirely, and that's what I plan to do.

I have learned some things that I plan to continue when I start eating meat again. I used to always have a meat with every meal. When I would go out, often times I would chose the item with the most meat in it. I loved eating meat! Now that I know I can still have good food without it, I'll turn that down a notch.

Basically, I'm just going to take it easy and be more sensible. Sensibility is always a good practice :)

EDIT:

Hahaha! I did EXACTLY that!

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

you need to figure out your body type, some people far better on a vegetarian diet, others need mostly meat, and the far majority need both.

Being vegetarian or vegan means you really have to watch what you eat.

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

you guys need to take a step back and keep in mind survivorship basis. You guys are only linking to vegans who are the exception and not the rule.

Basically every time I hear a vegan try to support their views they point our the vegan who runs 20 marathons in a month and can bench press a VW beetle or the vegan who lived til they are 130 years old.

but how do you know if for every one of those people, 20 other vegans had some health issues and had to go back to eating meat?

its like saying...i know this olympic guy who drinks a 12 pack of beer in week. that means if you drink a 12 pack of beer in a week..its totally fine and healthy.

will you die being a vegan? no
    will your body undergo changes? yes
    is there a general answer to your question? no

16. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I tried a vegetarian diet for a month - it gave me so much gas I couldn't stand it. The college was having a vegetarian theme month.
    I was sitting in class, and the pressure was just building and building, I had to get up, leave the room and let it go. I hate getting up while a professor is lecturing, but I didn't want to stink up the room.

17. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

When there's a vegan who can bench a Mercedes SL600, let me know. :D

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Been vegetarian for about 4 years now.

On the subject of "being sick", I used to be sick a lot more when I ate meat. Since I stopped, I feel much more healthy and am sick way less often.

It's not as hard as some people like to say it is. With a basic knowledge of nutrition (something most Americans don't have), it can easily be done. It isn't hard to make sure you get all of your vitamins and enough protein. Get used to reading labels and figuring out exactly what and how much you are eating.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

I am not vegetarian, but I live in a very "alternative" community... and many of my friends are.

1. Only by trying it will you be able to tell if it is of benefit to you.
    2. One book/study does not prove or disprove anything, regardless of how persuasive it it. Do some more research, and reading. Be cautious of the sources. There is lots of bad advice.
    3. Don't go "cold turkey". Your body is used to using the fuel it has been getting up until now. If you suddenly change that fuel your system will have a hard time. Start by limiting your meat consumption, and adding protein replacing alternatives at the same time.
    4. Being truly vegetarian/vegan is hard. Especially so if you don't happen to live in an area that grows fruit and vegetables through much of the year. Especially bad is the (primarily, but not only) American industrial agriculture business. Too many foods are being selectively bred for "looks" and "shipability" at the expense of nutrition and taste. Try to grow your own heritage varieties of vegetables. It's also not enough to just eat protein plants, you need to think about "complete proteins". Basically, you may need to combine two or more different types of food at the same meal. I believe Chickpeas and Rice is one example of foods you need to combine to actually get the benefits of Chickpeas. Anyway, it's a challenge.
    5. You can get hormone free meat, in fact - everyone should be. The more people shop for hormone free meat the less other "stuff" will be grown.
    6. Mercury is pervasive. Some fish has more mercury than others. The various government websites have lots of information if you go looking for it. If you have every broken a flourescent fixture or a compact flouresent light bulb, you've potentially been exposed. I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about mercury in fish, but it is no longer possible to totally avoid all the harmful environmental toxins. All you can do is try to minimize your exposure.
    7. Have you ever microwaved food in a plastic container? You've likely been exposed to harmful envirnmental toxins.... BPA in this case, probably. You'll do your health a lot of good staying away from some very easy to avoid toxins while you explore vegetarianism.
    8. The human body is designed to eat meat. That's why we have meat-eating teeth and digestive systems. It's not that we can't go totally herbivore.... but it's harder because we need to have certain foodstuffs that is difficult to get from plant food (not impossible, just more difficult).

If you become vegetarian slowly, you may also find your wife comes along for the ride - or at least far enough along the way that you two don't need to cook two different meals all the time.
    Good Luck. Take it easy.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From my experience, I have been sick no more or less than the meat-eaters I work with.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As opposed to when you eat meat, and have such smelly gas that your collegues can't stand it. ;)

22. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yes. thank you for pointing that out. i often try to defend my stances using our physical attributes etc. but the other side often just dismisses it as irrelevant.

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

So tired of this.

That body type junk has been debunked a hundred times over.

As far as watching what you eat, NO IM SORRY you don't have to watch what you eat anymore than anyone else should watch what we eat.

Heart Disease is the NUMBER ONE killer of women in the United States, never mind Osteoporosis and a bunch of other ailments linked to eating WAY too many animal products.

Being vegan reduces a mans risk of prostate cancer by 95%

So no, if anything eating meat you have to be WAY more careful.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

That is absolutely blatantly false.

Our anatomy actually suggests that we should not eat meat.

No claws, no incisors, long intestines ( Every animal on the planet that eats a lot of meat has a short intestine)

Now let me add, I don't think that humans can't eat meat, and I think you CAN be perfectly healthy doing so. However to suggest that our physical makeup is somehow designed for eating meat is blatantly FALSE!

The Bonobo is one of our closest living evolutionary relatives

25. iOrlando macrumors 68000

last time i checked we no longer go and stab animals with our hands and then dig right into their bodies with our teeth. we sure do have incisors, they just aren't pointy because the lovely fork and knife have let us move away from tearing into dead carcasses.