Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I'm another female 6 plus owner. I'm only 5ft and like other posters I have tiny hands, in fact I wear children's gloves but I have no trouble using it at all. I bought it so I wouldn't have to carry a phone and my iPad mini around with me.

Just looking for the perfect folio case now, which in the UK is a real struggle :(

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
I'm 5'4 and I have the regular 6. I'm going to the Apple Store later today just to see how big the 6+ is. :)

I added a picture in case you're interested what the 6 is like in my hand :eek:

That's a 6?! I wonder what the 6+ looks like in your hand! I'll be getting my 6+ on Monday, but at half the size of an iPad mini I didn't think it would be too big at all.

Jazminh

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I am female and loving the 6 plus.
I have had a range of different phones of different sizes and have always been able to adapt to how I have to hold them in order to use them one handed.
I prefer using all phones two-handed because typing is faster but I have found it very possible to manage the plus one handed if I need to.

It really hasn't been that hard to just adjust how I hold it for it to be comfortable. I'm always surprised to read that large tall men with big hands can't manage to hold it without it slipping yet they can manage the 6.
Everyone of course prefers something different but I find the plus very comfortable and easy to use but I wouldn't have got it if I intended to put it in a pocket because it just wouldn't be comfortable.

I originally bought both the 6 and the plus and the plus was closer in size to what I had before than the 6. My last phone was between the two so going up slightly in size rather than down suited me.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I am female and loving the 6 plus.
I have had a range of different phones of different sizes and have always been able to adapt to how I have to hold them in order to use them one handed.
I prefer using all phones two-handed because typing is faster but I have found it very possible to manage the plus one handed if I need to.

It really hasn't been that hard to just adjust how I hold it for it to be comfortable. I'm always surprised to read that large tall men with big hands can't manage to hold it without it slipping yet they can manage the 6.
Everyone of course prefers something different but I find the plus very comfortable and easy to use but I wouldn't have got it if I intended to put it in a pocket because it just wouldn't be comfortable.

I think it's because they (we/I) are still used to one-handed usage. But for women with smaller hands, one-handed usage is pretty much impossible so they mentally commit right from the get go to using the device two hands.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm 5'4 and I have the regular 6. I'm going to the Apple Store later today just to see how big the 6+ is. :)

It's big. I found it took me 2-3 trips to the apple store and spending a LONG time there before it started to feel 'ok'

Jazminh

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I think it's because they (we/I) are still used to one-handed usage. But for women with smaller hands, one-handed usage is pretty much impossible so they mentally commit right from the get go to using the device two hands.

I'm 5'8 with average sized hands. I prefer to use two because it's quicker but have been able to adapt to one handed usage if needed on all my phones. This one is no exception. I've been able to manage it fine with one hand if carrying something and only have one hand.

At the end of the day it's just personal choice but from my own experience it can be done if needed. Though I don't get the whole must be one handed thing either but to some is seems important.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Actually, the one person I know who got a 6+ is a woman.

She decided that, for her, the 6 was too big to be hand-held and easily pocketable anyway, so why not go all the way? Gotta throw it in the purse either way

She thinks of it as her iPad Mini Mini.

Exactly what my girlfriend said "I can't use both of them with 1 hand anyway, so screw it, 6 plus it is"

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Exactly what my girlfriend said "I can't use both of them with 1 hand anyway, so screw it, 6 plus it is"
My reasoning exactly! Even the 5/5s didn't fit inside my jeans pockets and I often had to switch to two hands so I knew from the get go that both the 6 and 6 Plus would require two-handed usage. The only real issue for me was whether or not the 6 Plus would fit inside my jacket pocket. Apparently, whether I can securely grip it should have been considered, too. I've almost drop it a few times hence, why I'm looking for wristlet cases. :)

JD84

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I am trying to decide if I should keep my plus or get the 6 I use my phone a lot for taking pictures as I sell on eBay.
My baby is due November 3rd and worrying how it will be trying to handle the phone and the baby at the same time.
Any help or advice on what to do would be great. :)

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm a little under 5'5 and I had that " oh crap, moment what did I buy" moment too. Now with the help of predictive text, I can text one-handed. I will be keeping the 6+. I am tired of squinting at small screens. I have vision issues anyway and if I need to look at the phone without my contact lenses I can. I rarely get phone calls, and when I do, I use the speaker or the earpods (I am so happy that a pair came with the phone, my old ones crapped out a week before.).

It fits ok in the front pocket of my jeans, just got to remember not to sit down with it in my pocket. I am going to assume it will fit ok in my work slacks....

My sister, who is 5'9, is leaning towards to exchanging her 6+ for a 6. She isn't comfortable with the phone. She texts a lot ( a lot more than me .... I tend to use dictation more...). She is a little intimidated by the size, I think and what to do with her iPad Mini..

I have a wristlet wallet from Vera Bradley Unfortunately, it only fits the iPhone 5S. So hopefully, they will come out one that fits the 6+.

one more thing: I need a new charging stand for the iPhone. I am scared to death I am going to knock my current one down trying to kill the alarm in the morning...... The 5S fits perfectly for it and the 6 would probably be ok. But the 6+ kinda teeters on it .... Can someone recommend something more stable for the 6+? It basically a stand with the charging cord looped under it.

Last edited:

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I'm a little under 5'5 and I had that " oh crap, moment what did I buy" moment too. Now with the help of predictive text, I can text one-handed. I will be keeping the 6+. I am tired of squinting at small screens. I have vision issues anyway and if I need to look at the phone without my contact lenses I can. I rarely get phone calls, and when I do, I use the speaker or the earpods (I am so happy that a pair came with the phone, my old ones crapped out a week before.).

It fits ok in the front pocket of my jeans, just got to remember not to sit down with it in my pocket. I am going to assume it will fit ok in my work slacks....

My sister, who is 5'9, is leaning towards to exchanging her 6+ for a 6. She isn't comfortable with the phone. She texts a lot ( a lot more than me .... I tend to use dictation more...). She is a little intimidated by the size, I think and what to do with her iPad Mini..

I have a wristlet wallet from Vera Bradley Unfortunately, it only fits the iPhone 5S. So hopefully, they will come out one that fits the 6+.

one more thing: I need a new charging stand for the iPhone. I am scared to death I am going to knock my current one down trying to kill the alarm in the morning...... The 5S fits perfectly for it and the 6 would probably be ok. But the 6+ kinda teeters on it .... Can someone recommend something more stable for the 6+?

That's interestinf about the texting though. I find texting easier on the 6+ because it's much wider so you have more to grasp on to with two hands. The 5s always felt a little odd texting with two hands.

Faerie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
That's a 6?! I wonder what the 6+ looks like in your hand! I'll be getting my 6+ on Monday, but at half the size of an iPad mini I didn't think it would be too big at all.

Yup I have a 6! I have small hands. I saw the 6+ today and oh my lord I was not expecting it to be that large!! I was so shocked. I'm pretty sure it dwarfs my hand.

----------

It's big. I found it took me 2-3 trips to the apple store and spending a LONG time there before it started to feel 'ok'

I don't think it'll ever feel ok for me ;o

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
I am trying to decide if I should keep my plus or get the 6 I use my phone a lot for taking pictures as I sell on eBay.

My baby is due November 3rd and worrying how it will be trying to handle the phone and the baby at the same time.

Any help or advice on what to do would be great. :)

One handed use is oh so important with an infant...I spent many many hours nursing in the middle of the night, using my phone one handed. And when they start grabbing at the phone it's easier to use it one handed and keep it far away enough that they can't grab it. With slobbery little hands lol. But can you even use the 6 one handed? I don't think I would be able to.

Skittlebug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
I've been using the Vera Bradley Zip Zip Wristlet. If you have a slim case on the phone it will fit in the Wristlet pretty well.

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
I just got my 6 Plus gold 64gb. I switched from the note 3, for some reason this phone feels heavier to me and right my wrist actually hurt lol. I know the iPhone is lighter, but I wonder if it's the length that's bothering me.

----------

I got the floral print yesterday and I really love the case!

Can we see a pic?

Jazminh

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I actually find the plus easier to hold than the note. I think the width and depth help with being able to grasp it better.
But both I have been able to adjust slightly how and where I hold them to make them easily usable.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Female here, 5'3, and I absolutely LOVE my iPhone 6 Plus!!!!!! Loved it the moment I saw it in the Apple store window in the wee hours of the morn after they took down the black drapes, loved it when I was able to fondle one they brought around while we were waiting in line, and totally loved it once I had my very own. The larger screen real estate makes a huge difference, and so does the larger keyboard. Yesterday afternoon I took both my iPad Air and the new iPhone out to the deck. I did something I never, ever did with my previous iPhones: read the Washington Post online, read and responded to a couple of emails, read forums, played a YouTube video..... The iPad Air stood idly by, and I never even touched it. No need. In the old days the iPhone would be out on the deck with me but it was the one standing idly by as I used the iPad to do all the kinds of things I mention above. I'm delighted that now I will get much more use from my iPhone.

I consider this device to be the iPad Nano, and she fits in beautifully with her larger sisters, the iPad Air and the iPad Mini. Nice that she happens to be a phone, too! :)

When you mention larger keyboard - are you referring to in potrait mode? How do you use the landscape keyboard? I haven't received my 6 plus yet (due to arrive this Thursday). But when playing around at the store, I really like everything about the 6 plus, except the landscape keyboard. When holding the the 6 and 6 plus side by side I was disappointed to see that the keys in the landscape mode 6 plus were either the same size or a tad smaller and they are in the middle - so harder to reach. Is there a fix for this or a third party keyboard that provispdes the larger keys in Landscape mode?

Sprintina

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
one more thing: I need a new charging stand for the iPhone. I am scared to death I am going to knock my current one down trying to kill the alarm in the morning...... The 5S fits perfectly for it and the 6 would probably be ok. But the 6+ kinda teeters on it .... Can someone recommend something more stable for the 6+? It basically a stand with the charging cord looped under it.

I got a Belkin that was targeted to the newer iPads and larger iPhones - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7LOXTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The unit itself is heavy but compact and the support piece in the back is perfect for the taller devices. There is a knob in the back that can be rolled to move the connector part forward and back to make it easier to insert and then roll the device back against the support. I figured if the newer iPads can go on it (as well as the various 5s), then there would be no problem for the various 6s. So far so good. I even have my 6+ in the wallet case and it still docked okay with the case on. I wouldn't try to turn off an alarm if an iPad is on it, but it seems pretty stable for the 6+ if trying to do the same. My iPad doesn't have the lighting connector so I wouldn't be able to use this for that device but I can put my mini on it if I need to (I currently have that plugged into a socket vs in a dock).

I have the smaller lightning connector Belkin one on my desk at work and it has been working okay for the 6+ so far, but it is probably not as stable as the bigger model if there is alot of movement going on around it (plus some reviewers have run into occasional compatibility messages out of the 6+ for that smaller model). This is the smaller one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYNRLFA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as a side note - I also got the HiRise but haven't had chance to test it out yet to determine how heavy and stable that base is - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JP11TPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

Wow--the 6 doesn't look big in your hand at all--be sure to post an updated picture if you get the 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.