Any word on iLife '10 or iWork '10?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ngrande, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ngrande macrumors newbie

I'm in a bit of a bind. My 6 year old iMac G4 died about 6 months ago and have been using an old loaner Windows laptop since which has no died too. I was thinking of using my Christmas bonus to buy a new Mac Mini as I am pretty strapped for cash but remembered that Apple typically updates both iLife and iWork around this time of year. Has anyone read any rumors or heard anything about either of these being updated this year? Thanks in advance.

Nick in snowy Ohio

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Although I doubt it will be an iLife focused event, there might be some sort of an announcement at the Apple event later this month. If there is going to be an iLife '10, it will probably be released there. Otherwise I would gess they would just skip to iLife '11 and release it later this year.

3. iWyse macrumors newbie

iWyse

yep either at the event this month the 27th or not at all. they also removed the word "iLife 09" to "iLife" which show that probably no 2010. thats good since i just bought mine in december.

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I know they sell iLife upgrade discs, but do they sell upgrade discs for iWork?

5. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I might be missing a white elephant here, but did they indeed update iLife today or not? I can't find any info other than on the tablet. Im ready to order my imac!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No they don't. You have to buy a new copy of iLife and iWork.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Nothing but iPad today. No iLife, no iWork, nada. I think that iWork is here to stay for at least the year because they dropped '09 from the title.

8. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

You guys might want to take a closer look at Steve's Keynote today! Unless these build effects and sound effects were new and exclusive to the iPad iWork apps Apple announced today, then there is still an update for iWork on the Mac coming because these are NOT in the current version of Keynote! :cool:

I have my doubts that Steve would prepare his entire Keynote for the event on the iPad. Also, if there IS indeed an update to iWork still coming for the Mac, then there would likely also be an update to iLife coming as well!

I submitted this to MacRumors.

Attached Files:

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

This is not news. Jobs has frequently previewed Keynote features months before they’ve become available with his presentations.

Wouldn’t you hate to be the Keynote Product Manager? Hehe.

I think we’ll see several different events over the next few months to announce new products including iLife ’10 and iWork ’10. I would almost put money on a Mac-focused event in February at Cupertino, not to mention an iPhone SDK event in March at Cupertino also.

10. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

How is that NOT news? :rolleyes: This forum was asking if there is an update to iWork for Mac coming, and some have assumed now that Apple has shown iWork Mobile (if you will) that that is it! Well OBVIOUSLY a desktop iWork update is still on the horizon THIS YEAR!

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Of course, it could be iLife '11, seeing as the update cycle has been ~18 mos. the last two times, with a skip of '07 (although '08 was released in August '07)

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

[​IMG]

I have two guesses on release time for iWork and iLife '11.

1) It'll be late summer before the education season start. It is possible the work on the iPad suite has delayed the Mac suite.
    2) Since iPad aren't out for another 60 days, it is possible they are rushing to try to push the '11 suite out around that time as well.

Attached Files:

13. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I did notice that. My hope is that the Keynote update includes something a bit more useful than the obligatory new themes and new animations that do little aside from promote bad presentation habits.

For instance: unless Keynote allows me to individually set error bars for each DATA POINT (not each series or set), I'm sticking with '09.

14. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I'm all for functional additions and features as well, but "new themes and new animations that do little aside from promote BAD presentation habits"? Um, I would beg to differ. That is what makes Keynote so awesome. I can't count how many times I have had to completely redo people's HIDEOUS PowerPoint presentations because they are to FUGLY and BORING to use as b-roll in a video. Keynote's themes and animations are BEAUTIFUL, WOW INDUCING, and VERY PROFESSIONAL!

Never mind the fact that Steve Jobs uses them as the C.E.O. of one of the biggest, best branded, and most respected international companies on earth and his presentations are literally FAMOUS and known as the most enthralling of any business presentations!

I don't know what kind of Keynote presentations you are making, but it sounds like you might as well join everyone else in making ugly, boring, text overloaded PowerPoint presentations! Now THOSE are unprofessional "bad presentation habits"! :rolleyes:

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm the only person in my school who uses Keynote and when we have presentations, I have never been told that I had bad presentation habits. What is boring is people reading word for word small novels off off their document size slides. I love Keynote and will buy the next iWork solely because of it.

16. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

AMEN! :) Every time I give a Keynote presentation and everybody else is giving these hideous, text overloaded PowerPoints, everyone sees my presentation and they are literally like.... WOW!

I don't know what that other guy was smoking! :rolleyes:

17. miknos Suspended

miknos

I just wish Pages was a little better. Just two things I would like.

Fast loading time. Word 2007 loads instantly (literally) in my old PC desktop with an old AthlonXP 1.8Ghz.

In MS Word, when you (secondary) click in a word, it shows synonyms. It is important for me to enrich my vocabulary and specially find the exact word needed, specially for my third and fourth language.

18. MegAC macrumors newbie

Can someone please HELP me?

I'm out of the country and am working on a PC. I thought I converted all of my pages files to pdf before leaving, but apparently, I left one out... the one I need the most. Would anyone mind converting this for me? I would be extremely appreciative.

Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

19. artguy10 macrumors member

artguy10

Can't, that's password-protected.

20. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Take the file and change the ".pages" extension to ".zip"

The PC will view it as a Zip file/folder and you'll be able to open it and see a PDF of the file. (There will be other files inside the zip archive, but you can ignore them)

mt

21. Sped macrumors regular

I'm waiting for an updated iLife. I typically update every other year unless there is a really compelling feature. iLife '08 is getting a little long in the tooth, but I don't want to buy '09 just to have a update occur soon. I am starting to think Apple might have a minor event when the 3G iPad's are available based on intuition. We'll see. I don't have my hopes up.

22. Razeus macrumors 601

Apple is no longer concerned about it's laptop or desktop users. They are too busy making the iLife suite look cool on the iPad. I love the way photos are shown on the iPad. Then I look at what I have for iLife '09...:(

23. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Any possibility that iLife and iWork will get updated with the MBPs?

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. Apple rarely ever pre-announces either software or hardware.