Anybody else got $600 saved up for iPhone HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pink∆Floyd, May 17, 2010.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I'm 17 and I recently got a job, I make $8.50 an hour, so I'll have $600 saved up in about a month!
    I'll be the first guy camping outside the Apple store!
    Any other teens out there with a job saving up?

2. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

$600? You know they're gonna be like $200 right?

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Considering the fact that the next iPhone will be subsidized at $200/$300 pricing, you should really be saving for those $100+ iPhone bills. :D

4. StephenRzucidlo macrumors member

my upgrade is not until november 20th 2010, so i got $500 saved right know will have more around just incase they do come out with one at 64gb iam sure that will cost more. i payed $399 for a 32gb 3gs the day it came out.i just want the iphone 4g the week it comes out.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Got $150 for my birthday twards the new phone,

& I have $300 set aside in my savings account, I need a bit more for taxes and such...

I might consider using the upgrade on my other line though, save myself some $$. although I need to read up on how to do that, I'm scared ill end up paying two iphone data plans!!

6. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Had $600 saved and put it on an iPad. Guess I better sell my 3GS and a kidney.

Either way I'm getting two, myself and wife. Yay for front facing camera and the potential to video chat!!!!!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have babies so I can sell them and buy Apple products. I'll be a-ok come June, I'm about 3 weeks out from my due date.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is why I don't upgrade my iPhone every year. Did I want a 3GS? Yeah. But I didn't buy it.

So now I have $300 saved up for this year...

9. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I didn't get the 3G, but for some odd reason my 3GS just seems... old...

Sad aint it, new tech becomes old in just one year.

Apple has to release phones every year though to keep up, every 2 years or 1.5 years would be too much time for android phones to take over lol!

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Please tell me that everyone here that is putting all their money from savings into this phone is under the age of 21 and has no responsibilities. All through high school and college, I barely ever had money in savings so I completely understand that, but if you are out of school and have a job, don't spend all your savings on a cell phone.

To the OP's question...Yes, I do. I'm hoping I can cut back enough of my discretionary spending in the month of June so I don't have to dig into my savings account though. It hurts too much to see my savings account shrink.

11. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

How much do you guys think an unsubsidized 64 gig iPhone 4G will cost? For comparison purposes, how much did the unsubsidized 32gb iPhone 3GS cost when it was released last year?

12. tnisatard macrumors 6502

man you're 17, and about to drop over half grand on a phone

but anyways im 20, working for about a year 9/ hour and saved up around 1k though, im just gonna sell my 3Gs and use that money to buy the new iPhone (and possibly make some money on it)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let's talk about how it seems absurd to only have $600 in savings and if that is all you have as an adult then you don't need an iPhone. Better yet, I don't recall ever being in a position where I had no responsibilities after I turned 18, even though college. College kids have really taken the "I'm just a poor college student" thing a bit too far. But I digress.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

20 & in school & working ...

I want to treat myself to something nice...

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

um ill just sell my current iphone and if its more than i can get then i will save it up.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

You all are better men than me. There's no way I'd buy an unsubsidized phone, no matter how tempting.

17. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I had to work while in school and I didn't have a smart phone until after I got a "real" job after I graduated. However, I do understand that some families are better off then others and I don't hold anything against parents buying iPhones or blackberry for their kids while they are in school. I do have a problem with parents that continue to pay for their kids after they have graduated and have full time jobs. I know several people(friends) who make quite a bit less then I do, but drive a nicer car, pay more for rent, and spend a lot more on luxury items then I could afford. Those are the people that will learn the hard way later in life.

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I refuse to dig into my savings account for a cell phone. The money in my savings is for traveling, engagement ring for my gf, unexpected occurances that happen in life, etc. If I don't have the $2/300 for the iPhone when it hits the stores, then I simply will not buy it until I do. I can certainly understand those of you under 21 who don't have very many responsibilities. But to me, being 28, I'm not going to tap into my savings account to buy the latest cell phone.

19. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I have got £600 just about - I am waiting to do some simple maths calculations before I sign up for a new contract though...

I currently have a 3GS SIM FREE and unlocked. I am signed up on a network Orange Dolphin 20 SIM Only plan. 1 month notice required to cancel at anytime.

I pay £25 per month for 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 750mb of data per month.

If there are offers that match this on 12 or 18 months contracts i'll be interested - if not I buy it outright & stay on my current contract if I can.

I am aware the next iphone will have a micro sim slot - how difficult it would be to move my contract over i don't know?

20. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I have savings, but i aint touching that... instead, i'm just gonna put 8-10hrs of OT and i'm good.

21. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

That's the best financial decision I've heard yet.

22. macmono macrumors newbie

Yeah hopefully i will have enough saved up when it comes out, this will me my first iPhone!

Mono...

23. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I used to have subsidised/contract iPhones but switched to a PAYG model.Everybody thinks "wow! you paid £400 for a phone? You're crazy!" but here in the UK the o2/free 12 months unlimited data deal with PAYG makes it a no-brainer...If I sold my 3GS tomorrow, I'd probably lose £100 maximum -not bad for one year's use!

Anyway, to answer the OP's question -yes, i've been saving for the new iPhone too, although the iPad has put a dent in my savings :eek:

24. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Excellent decision. They are a renewable natural resource.

25. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Girlfriend sold her iPhone 3g for $300 and I sold my 3gs for $500. So we have $800 put away both are eligible for full upgrades. So we are going to be making a few hundred dollars in buying the new iPhones by selling our old ones.

Sounds good to me :)