Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
just seeing why you went with the $900 option instead of XS for almost same price.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
just seeing why you went with the $900 option instead of XS for almost same price.

Well one reason could be storage. If the screen difference was just resolution only and not screen type I would of gotten the 256GB XR vs the base model XS. Storage > screen resolution. That being said I would get the XS for the OLED screen. I would probably assume some people don’t care about oled vs lcd and those would just rather get more storage for their photos and music

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Well one reason could be storage. If the screen difference was just resolution only and not screen type I would of gotten the 256GB XR vs the base model XS. Storage > screen resolution. That being said I would get the XS for the OLED screen. I would probably assume some people don’t care about oled vs lcd and those would just rather get more storage for their photos and music

Ya I get the storage, but more ram, better modem, OLED, stainless, less bezels, 3D Touch, sounds better.. lol I have 256 and I don’t need it. So was wondering if storage was really the only reason someone would do that unless it was truly needed.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Ya I get the storage, but more ram, better modem, OLED, stainless, less bezels, 3D Touch, sounds better.. lol I have 256 and I don’t need it. So was wondering if storage was really the only reason someone would do that unless it was truly needed.

RAM- on iOS it’s not needed as much as it is on Android and the 3GB on my X is perfectly fine. No issues at all.

Oled- I prefer it but some people just don’t care either way and of course the small amount who cry over PWM

Stainless steel - better yes but some if not most don’t care

3D Touch - meh I don’t even use it

Less bezels - it’s still less then your 6s and 7 which is where you’re probably upgrading from and not from the X

256gb is the only tangible difference everybody can see no matter if you’re a geek or just somebody who wants their phone to do the things they want like email and so forth. I would of bought the 256gb x if it wasn’t for the price

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
RAM- on iOS it’s not needed as much as it is on Android and the 3GB on my X is perfectly fine. No issues at all.

Oled- I prefer it but some people just don’t care either way and of course the small amount who cry over PWM

Stainless steel - better yes but some if not most don’t care

3D Touch - meh I don’t even use it

Less bezels - it’s still less then your 6s and 7 which is where you’re probably upgrading from and not from the X

256gb is the only tangible difference everybody can see no matter if you’re a geek or just somebody who wants their phone to do the things they want like email and so forth. I would of bought the 256gb x if it wasn’t for the price

Actually ram does matter, it’s more fluid with multi tasking, and it really comes to play down the road. In 2 years 3 just won’t be enough since all software gets bigger. For now it’s good.

3D Touch man, peek and pop in Instagram is MUCH needed! Lol do you know how many bootys i peek and pop.. lol

But it’s hard to compare bezels from those models since it’s a completely different form factor. I am coming from X so they do look big to me.
[doublepost=1541004442][/doublepost]
Well, for starters the 256gb XS is $1149 not $900.

Yes but if you’re Going to spend $1000 on a XR(including tax) why not just spend $250 more. Seems like $1249 is not far off from $1000. Now if we were talking about $500 compared to $250, ok I get it. And monthly costs helps out..

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Actually ram does matter, it’s more fluid with multi tasking, and it really comes to play down the road. In 2 years 3 just won’t be enough since all software gets bigger. For now it’s good.

3D Touch man, peek and pop in Instagram is MUCH needed! Lol do you know how many bootys i peek and pop.. lol

But it’s hard to compare bezels from those models since it’s a completely different form factor. I am coming from X so they do look big to me.

Once again ram isn’t an issue with iOS.... it won’t be for a while. 3GB is fine in 2-3 years. With their less SKU’s and the fact they build them all they will make sure the X and to more an extent the XR will be fine I. 2-3 years. This isn’t Android where you have hundreds of different phones

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Well 256 GB is not base for XS, although it should be at that price ;)

Did he or anybody else said that ? His question was did anybody buy the 256GB XR for $900 or did anybody buy a XS which is only $100 cheaper. Simply did you get XR with more memory or did you get the “better” phone. Similar to did you buy a Top Ford Fusion platinum ( highest spec trim ) or do you buy a base Lincoln MKZ. Both made by Ford and Lincoln is their premium brand. You can plug in any other car brand which also has a luxury brand as well to get the point.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Once again ram isn’t an issue with iOS.... it won’t be for a while. 3GB is fine in 2-3 years. With their less SKU’s and the fact they build them all they will make sure the X and to more an extent the XR will be fine I. 2-3 years. This isn’t Android where you have hundreds of different phones

What does the 6s have? 1gb? That’s not enough these days to work fluidly...But yes iOS makes the less ram better.

But let’s look at it like this. Most people pay monthly. So $37 a month for XR 256 or $47 a month for XS 256. $10 more a month seems like nothing to go the better route, maybe no?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
What does the 6s have? 1gb? That’s not enough these days to work fluidly...But yes iOS makes the less ram better.

But let’s look at it like this. Most people pay monthly. So $37 a month for XR 256 or $47 a month for XS 256. $10 more a month seems like nothing to go the better route, maybe no?

Not as easy math specially when most people buy through their carriers. The X 64gb for me was $0 down and $20 a month for me on sprint when I got it. The 256 was $150 down and $20 a month. For me I didn’t want to spend the $150 down since I needed the money for other things

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
My Red XR is a 256GB
What was the reason why you went with XR instead of XS?
[doublepost=1541005030][/doublepost]
Not as easy math specially when most people buy through their carriers. The X 64gb for me was $0 down and $20 a month for me on sprint when I got it. The 256 was $150 down and $20 a month. For me I didn’t want to spend the $150 down since I needed the money for other things

Ohhh, ATT is no money down. But I did pay $100 down just to get monthly costs down.
But usually I don’t pay anything down. So for us it’s a $10 difference between models.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
What was the reason why you went with XR instead of XS?
[doublepost=1541005030][/doublepost]

Ohhh, ATT is no money down. But I did pay $100 down just to get monthly costs down.
But usually I don’t pay anything down. So for us it’s a $10 difference between models.

I have an XS and XS Max already. I wanted an XR

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
I went with a 256GB XR. I went through FOUR XS Maxes. Admittedly I am VERY picky about my screens. All four were calibrated far too warm for my tastes, even with True Tone turned off. I gave up, went with the XR. Did I need 256GB? No. I probably could've made due with 128GB. But I like to know I have the room if I need it lol.

Honestly, I can't see a huge difference in the screens of XR vs XS. Yes, OLED blacks are better of course. Yes, text is crisper on the XS as well. BUT, I only notice fuzzy text if I'm looking closely at the XR screen, which I don't typically do. So in normal use, it's great. And the colors and white balance is far better on the XR than the XS (in my opinion and my experience).

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I went with a 256GB XR. I went through FOUR XS Maxes. Admittedly I am VERY picky about my screens. All four were calibrated far too warm for my tastes, even with True Tone turned off. I gave up, went with the XR. Did I need 256GB? No. I probably could've made due with 128GB. But I like to know I have the room if I need it lol.

Honestly, I can't see a huge difference in the screens of XR vs XS. Yes, OLED blacks are better of course. Yes, text is crisper on the XS as well. BUT, I only notice fuzzy text if I'm looking closely at the XR screen, which I don't typically do. So in normal use, it's great. And the colors and white balance is far better on the XR than the XS (in my opinion and my experience).
I have the XS. I have been comparing the XS and XR and the text is so close I cannot discern a difference. Before the questions about my eyes.. I use the second to smallest text setting.

Yes, my XS is also more warm than the XR. I also think TT works better on the XR. I have compared this at length. I have said several times, there is an argument that the LCD is as good or better than the OLED when you consider that the OLED can turn 3 different colors from holding in in your hand looking at it to placin it on a flat surface.

Reactions: jona2125

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
To just complete the family or did something appeal to you more than the XS?

It's just something different to have, the new chassis is sharp in proper color and I also really like the aluminum design. I really like the look of the colors, going to be getting a white one in a couple weeks, that one has really been growing on me a lot.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I have an XS 256 and considering the XR 256.

How come?
[doublepost=1541006313][/doublepost]

Gotcha, sounds like you have them a good trial comparison’s...
[doublepost=1541006531][/doublepost]
It's just something different to have, the new chassis is sharp in proper color and I also really like the aluminum design. I really like the look of the colors, going to be getting a white one in a couple weeks, that one has really been growing on me a lot.

Gotcha....
[doublepost=1541006601][/doublepost]
I have the XS. I have been comparing the XS and XR and the text is so close I cannot discern a difference. Before the questions about my eyes.. I use the second to smallest text setting.

Yes, my XS is also more warm than the XR. I also think TT works better on the XR. I have compared this at length. I have said several times, there is an argument that the LCD is as good or better than the OLED when you consider that the OLED can turn 3 different colors from holding in in your hand looking at it to placin it on a flat surface.

I think the OLED is way better. But that is just me and I have been suing one the last year with the X. Maybe some people not using an OLED the last year see bigger differences trying to use it for first time...

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I went with the XS 256GB and my wife went with the Xr 256GB.

Price difference here in Canada after adding Apple Care = $450.

The reason my wife didn't go with an XS, she doesn't care about 3D touch, the screen on the Xr is more then adequate for her, she wanted the longer battery life with bigger screen and most of all she wasn't going to pay $450 more for options she wasn't going to use.

Me I wanted the OLED, I also needed a new phone pretty much instantly and couldn't wait for the Xr release.

I honestly don't see someone being interested in both the Xr at 256GB and a XS at 64GB as the people who want a 256GB phone are likely already using more than 64GB of space on that phone.

I should note that if I had the chance to wait for the Xr, after now seeing the differences I would have probably saved the $450 and got the Xr.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
How come?

[doublepost=1541006531][/doublepost]

Gotcha....
[doublepost=1541006601][/doublepost]

I think the OLED is way better. But that is just me and I have been suing one the last year with the X. Maybe some people not using an OLED the last year see bigger differences trying to use it for first time...

I have been using oled screens off and on since the Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket on AT&T. I’m used to it and prefer it m. The only reason why I have an iPhone again after my 7 is the fact the x has an oled screen. Otherwise I would of kept my Note 8 and probably have a note 9 now

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I went with the XS 256GB and my wife went with the Xr 256GB.

Price difference here in Canada after adding Apple Care = $450.

The reason my wife didn't go with an XS, she doesn't care about 3D touch, the screen on the Xr is more then adequate for her, she wanted the longer battery life with bigger screen and most of all she wasn't going to pay $450 more for options she wasn't going to use.

Me I wanted the OLED, I also needed a new phone pretty much instantly and couldn't wait for the Xr release.

I honestly don't see someone being interested in both the Xr at 256GB and a XS at 64GB as the people who want a 256GB phone are likely already using more than 64GB of space on that phone.

I should note that if I had the chance to wait for the Xr, after now seeing the differences I would have probably saved the $450 and got the Xr.

I would. $1,000 is pretty much my limit on a phone. Not spending more even when you include sales tax.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
How come?

:) Yep, maybe next year I'll try for the OLED model again. But I kept swinging and missing finding one I was happy with. But I am actually way happier than the XR than I thought I would be. And the colors are kind of fun...something different. I always wanted a Product Red iPhone but they always released them after I had already bought that model! It's nice they have the option from the get-go this year.

I think it helps too the internals are mostly the same as the XS as well, save for a GB of RAM and a telephoto lens (and screen obviously). We get the same A12 processor with neural engine, 3GB of RAM (which at least right now is definitely sufficient for iOS), same wide angle rear lens, and same Face ID/Camera system. It really helps shorten the gap between devices, unlike when they released the 5C which was clearly a much lower-end model. The XR doesn't feel very low-end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.