Anybody here ever play cornhole?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by npolly0212, Oct 15, 2018.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Anybody in here ever play cornhole? Just seeing if any other players are on here.

Love playing it on saturdays at the tailgate!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Might I venture to ask what exactly is cornhole? I don''t believe that I have ever come across the term.

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

It’s a game that you have 2 wooden boards that are both 2ftx4ft and has a 6 inch hole near the top, and you have **** cloth bags filled with corn/resin. Each team has 2 players and you and your teammate stand at opposite boards and you and the other player you are playing agains on your side take turns throwing trying to make it in the hole or on the board from about 25-30 feet away

Attached Files:

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yes, semi-pro :D

Here at the World HQ, near the beach, it goes down all the time.

There were 10 simultaneous games running - pretty serious too - at a family reunion up in PA a few weeks ago. :cool:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain this to me. Much appreciated.

6. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I made these for my niece a couple years ago.[​IMG]

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

So, it is 'throw bags in holes' and nothing else?

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I had wondered about that, too.

Is it a throwing game, or a strategy game?

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Sometimes after debugging 1,000 lines of machine learning code, all you __really__ want to do is toss some bags in a hole :D

There's some fun dynamics, just hitting the board, a bag skipping off the ground and sliding up and landing in the hole (different points, hole vs. deck), you can bump your opponents bags off, or occasionally into the hole and they get points. People decorate their sets with various team colors since it's a fun thing to bring to a tailgating party.

I mean, it's not supposed to be incredibly complex, it takes a little skill, it's a nice outdoor game that anyone can play (easily adjust for kids or uncoordinated adults :p), and in all of our games, it's complemented with some cold adult beverages, so there's the fun of watching people's skill slowly deteriorate. :D

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Fair enough. Not sure why such a game is thread worthy though.. 8)

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Well, there's already 11 replies (12 including this one) :D I mean, there are one-off threads for single TV shows even though there's 2 ongoing TV show threads, and one-off trip threads (vs. a single travel topic), and just a quick reviews show topics on boxes, cloud services, eating, drinking, mountain biking, commercials, shaving - hahaha, I'd say this isn't any more or less threadworthy than 95% of the contributions in this area :D

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Google cornhole strategy - preferably set your browser to private first :)

the only strategy I can see is a) being lucky enough to have cornbags with a smooth side & a sticky side & trying to block your opponent's throw by tossing yours in front of the hole sticky side down b) buying your opponent a drink and hoping they'll hold it in one hand while trying to throw with the other.

give me a good game of pool in the pub any day (UK style with small pockets that take skill to hit & can be blocked, not US style with pockets the size of two balls put together.)

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

All I can say is ... my god doesn’t the Cornhole :eek: industry and Topeak :eek: have PR departments?

CAD6C336-1FD0-48AF-BB40-E82C5FB9651C.jpeg

15. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

That is awesome! There are never any tournaments around me in South Carolina - but I build them as a side job and I absolutely love it. Every home game for USC I go crush it at the tailgates

You are very welcome!

Did you enjoy it?

Those are awesome! Whatd you use to build them?

Pretty much but there is a strategy to it, you can’t score over 21 or you go back down to a set amount of points and so on. Had a game last over an hour this past weekend because of the strategy that both teams were playing

Both as the user answered below

Haha exactly! Hit it spot on!

I enjoy talking about them and see if anyone else does too! It’s my side gig of building them and I love it!

Exactly!

Hahaha!

Lmao!!!

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I have played on rare occasions at family cookouts. I can take or leave it. What I did not know was that it was called corn hole, which reminds me of some sexual and anatomical reference. :)

17. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol!
    Down here in the south it’s a big thing because of college football

18. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

I like Adler the Eagle's Guide to the game :D

19. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I don't know. Maybe if instead of throwing, you were kicking, and instead of a hole, you were aiming for a goal, then you'd have something. As it stands, it just sounds like adults playing with toys unlike literally every other sport that exists.

;):p

20. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Consider it a Family oriented version of throwing "horse shoes" something the kids can partake in.:D

21. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly! I love it when the kids want to come around and play.

My main joy is building them thought (and of course the money for em :D) - but i just love building anything out of wood and this has been my go to and have been doing this for a year and a half now. Made about 15 sets the week of christmas last year!

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

23. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

It’s gotten really big. Have met some people who actually build boards that are used in competitions.

Have gotten plenty of pointers from them and have now started making some awesome boards because of them!

24. chown33 macrumors 604

What?! And give up the opportunity of being hit in the head by a flying piece of steel? It's bad enough that lawn darts (Jarts) have gone extinct. I cam't tlee yuy ho manu scars i Hav from past family grathrings were hoshoes and jarts wer teh games of choice.

25. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Exactly! It seems Cornhole is more dangerous.

I asked the kids in the local park just now if they wanted to play 'Cornhole' with me, and now I'm typing this from the reception of the local police station. Their parents are upset with me for some reason, I have no idea why. I hope it'll all be sorted out without any lasting consequences for my job, my house, or my life.

Bring back Lawn Darts I say.