Anybody installed Ghost Armor on iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lsbuffs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. lsbuffs macrumors regular

I have had a pending order for a back-only Zagg invisibleSHIELD, but continued to show 'in process'. I called them today and they indicated they'd ship Wednesday the 16th. Funny, she assumed at the beginning of the call I was seeking a replacement for a poor fitting screen cover. They must be getting hammered with those calls.
    Anyway, I need one asap and saw Ghost Armor had them in stock. I've never used Ghost Armor, but they seem to get favorable reviews here. Anybody received one that can comment on fit? (I'm particularly interested in the back protection)

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Well I haven't used Ghost Armor, but I did order mine from Best Skins Ever on 3.8. Even though their site indicates they're now shipping - mine still shows processing. :rolleyes:

I can say from experience, that Zagg, BSE and Body Guardz all use VERY similar material. I like this material for body protection since it does provide a little grip - however I do not like it for the screen. :cool:

3. jmarine119 macrumors newbie

I bought the Zagg screen cover on Friday with my ipad 2 since there were no other options available at best buy. I read some unfavorable reviews on here and decided I would install it temporarily anyway and then request a replacement through zagg in a week or 2 after the fitment issues were corrected. I decided to try to put the screen cover on yesterday and I will never purchase another Zagg product after how terrible the fitment was. I immediately went to the mall and visited the Ghost Armor stand and they promised that their full body shield had no fitment issues and would install for a $10 fee. I came back half hour later and they had completed the installation on 2 ipad 2's for me. The fitment was absolutely perfect all around and they did a great job with the installation. I am very pleased with ghost armor and will never buy another zagg shield again. Quickly cancel your order and go for the ghost armor, you won't be disappointed.

4. orlandocano macrumors regular

I ordered my ghost armor yesterday and it shipped this morning. I will let you know how the installation goes once I get it. Should be here this week.

5. sam2428 macrumors 6502

For those who ordered Ghost Armor, can you please post pics so we can see how it looks/fits? :)

Also, how does the "feel" compare to that of zagg? is it rubbery? Smooth? glossy, matte?

Any info would be great, thanks!

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

Curious about this too. Zagg is horrible for touch screens, just has a very tacky feeling. I usually use Phantomskinz since they use a clear coat on their films that makes their skins smooth and very good for touch screens. I've always been curious about Ghost Armor, but the closest store is over an hour away.

7. lsbuffs thread starter macrumors regular

Ordered Ghost Armor, back only, today 1:10pm MT, just got notice it shipped. Coming via FedEx, requested two day delivery so should have installed on Wednesday and will post pics.

8. jmarine119 macrumors newbie

Here are some pictures of the Ghost Armor installed on my Ipad 2. It's difficult to see it on the front in the pictures, but I tried to get some close detailed shots. The finish is pretty shiny and smooth, but not so smooth that it slides out of your hands. It does show fingerprints, but they wipe away easily with a microfiber cloth. Pay particular attention to the close up shots to see how perfect the fit and cutouts are (including the front home button, cameras, sensor, speaker, side buttons, etc.). The only gripe I have is that they have a cutout for side buttons on the opposite side of where the buttons are located as well. Not really a big deal, but it is extra exposed space that I'd prefer to have covered. Overall, A+++ quality and design.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116187453010777265084/GhostArmor?authkey=Gv1sRgCO3T7IuMkNzUlAE&feat=directlink

9. jedolley macrumors 68000

Thanks for the pics. Do you think the exposed cut outs on the other side are for the smartcover? Also, how is the cover on the screen in terms or smoothness? Is it smooth like the regular screen protectors, or more tacky like Zagg skins?

10. gigemzach macrumors 6502

The corners on it look kind of weird....

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

Well, I would assume the cuts are necessary due to the tapered back of the iPad 2. Phantomskinz does something a little bit different, but nonetheless it require some sort of cut in the corners.

http://phantomskinz.com/appleipad2.aspx

12. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I didn't think about that.... The Phantomskinz one looks a little nicer IMO.

13. orlandocano macrumors regular

14. lsbuffs thread starter macrumors regular

Looks good. Not sure I like the idea of a cutout on the back/side where no cutout is necessary, but will get mine tomorrow and see if it's a big deal.

15. downingp macrumors 6502a

The only thing I can think why there is an unnecessary cutout on the back is for the AT&T/Verizon sim card??? Not entirely sure, as I don't have a 3G model.
    Just a thought.

16. jedolley macrumors 68000

I initially was under the impression that the cut out was on the top and bottom which is why I said smartcover, but looking at the pics again, it could be for the sim card. If it's for the sim card, it's a rather large cut out for it, or at least it looks large in the pics. Also, to my knowledge, Verizon does not use SIM cards (most CDMA carriers don't).

17. jmarine119 macrumors newbie

@jedolley - the excess cutouts are definitely not for the smart cover. It could possibly be for the 3g version of the ipad2. Not really sure. The screen is very smooth, not overly tacky like the Zagg one is. I prefer this one over Zagg.

@gigemzach- The corners have to be cut or else it wouldn't fit so nicely. I agree they look weird, but it does the job and quite honestly, how much time do you spend looking at the back four corners of your ipad??

@orlandocano - I had it installed by a local GA vendor. Well worth the extra $$. It's perfect (minus some moisture under the screen protector from the installation which is hardly noticable, but it should dry up in the next couple of days as usual)

@downing p - I was wondering the same thing regarding the cutout and its applicability to the 3g version of the ipad. I assume ghost armor probably went with a single design to start and will likely refine it over time.

I'm not too concerned about the excess cutout because its less than an inch and if GA revises their design, I can always have a new one put on for $5 at my local vendor. The GA rep also told me that a carbon fiber and black matte back will be available soon also. These backs will also have a clear part where the apple logo is so it is still visible. He informed me that it would cost $10 installed to have them upgrade the back cover if I chose to do so, when available.

18. orlandocano macrumors regular

@orlandocano - I had it installed by a local GA vendor. Well worth the extra $$. It's perfect (minus some moisture under the screen protector from the installation which is hardly noticable, but it should dry up in the next couple of days as usual)
    [/QUOTE]

Did you watch them install it? How difficult do you think it would be to do yourself? My only concern is that these skin will be impossible to do for the average consumer! They close the kiosk that was 10 minutes from my house earlier this year!

19. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

JMarine, great-looking install job!

BestBuy did my original iPad with GA and it looked fantastic, but now BestBuy doesn't carry GhostArmor, just InvisibleShield (which I personally can't stand).

I went to a GhostArmor kiosk in the mall yesterday to get the front only done and I was quoted $50 after install. The creepy guy there was trying to pocket a little extra money. So now I'm a little miffed at GA in general.

I may end up trying a BestSkinsEver and do my own install. I'm a pro at doing it for iPhones, but when I put an InvisibleShield on a work iPad once, it was a real pain in the butt. No bubbles, but there was much swearing from my dining room table as I applied it.

20. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I'm going to try and do my own install of Best Skins Ever, but very nervous about it...

21. jedolley macrumors 68000

It's actually not that bad. My recommendation is that set some free time aside so that you aren't distracted mid-install. Also, if possible setup an adequate space with everything you might need (soap solution, micro-fiber cloth, hair dryer, etc.). Last, but definitely not least, patience is key! Watch a few install videos just to get an idea what to expect, but with your install take it slow and easy.

22. ac4155 macrumors newbie

could some one please tell me if a case would be able to fit over one of these?

23. Gixxer6 macrumors newbie

Did you by chance go to AZ mills? I had a similar story with the higher price at the kiosk.

As for the OP, I have ghost armor on my iPad 2 that I installed myself. I love it and wouldn't use anything else. I had invisishield on an iPhone a while back and it was crap. I now only use ghost armor on all my apple products, iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod touch. Very good quality product and I install all by myself.

24. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Same here. The Ghost Armor kiosk in Alderwood Mall, Lynnwood, WA quoted me $35 to install just the back cover and $50 or $55 for both front and back. Then they told me I could buy just the back and install it myself for $30.

It's $25 on their website and was $20 as a pre-order when this happened (3/12/2011).

25. lsbuffs thread starter macrumors regular

I just received mine today (for 32GB wifi, back only). Didn't have the extra cutout others have described. Very happy about that.

It's drying now, will post pictures later.