Anybody not excited for the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reach9, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I say iPad 3 because it's the 3rd generation iPad, i have no idea what it'll be called.

I feel as though unless you either have the money, or you didn't get an iPad yet, or you have the iPad 1...this upgrade doesn't seem that interesting.

1) HD screen - yeah this is great, but man the iPad 2's screen has been fine. This will be a great addition, but not a dealmaker.

2) LTE - unless you live in the major cities around the world where LTE is slowly growing bit by bit, it really doesn't seem like a dealmaker.

3) Faster processor - this is great for all the process intensive apps people use

4) Siri - Now this is a great feature by itself, and just like the iPhone 4S, this will be one of the main selling points i'm sure. But since i already have the 4S, it doesn't matter as much to me.

I kind of have a "meh" feeling about this one. Maybe that's because i have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S?
    I feel as though the HD display should have been in the iPad 2..

To clarify, i thought the iPhone 4S was a "meh" upgrade as well, but because of my dying iPhone 3G..i had to upgrade.

I'm waiting for the next BIG feature (for the iPad and iPhone). Maybe an in-built projector like the Galaxy Beam? Maybe haptic feedback on the glass? Visual recognition added to Siri's Speech?

Anybody else feeling similar?

2. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Anybody not excited for the iPad 3?

I'm excited because it'll be my first iPad :D

3. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I'll be honest - I'm hooked, lined and sunk with Apple products. And yes, I'll probably most things they release.

But I do understand what you mean. I've just sold my iPad2, and that was a more than capable device!
    Apple are doing such a great job at making amazing products, I just can't see what area they can move into to make an even greater product.

And as of late, (apart from Siri) no further advancements have been mind blowing.

But - Yup, I'm still going to buy it.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

The retina display was and still is the most impressive upgrade the iPhone has received IMO. The display alone makes it a far more significant advance than the iPad 2 was over the original.

5. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

For me the Retina screen is a massive feature, same way as it was for the iPhone 4. I think it's really a big thing to make the technology 'disappear'. Because there are no pixels to see. Of course it doesn't really add anything new you can do with it, but the experience will be so much better.

Any CPU speed increases etc aren't really that interesting to me as even my iPad 1 is still quick enough for what I do with it. The lower weight/thickness (compared to the iPad 1) will be appreciated.

However LTE support is purely academic here in Europe, and it looks like it will be for the next 2 years or so. I suppose they'll bring out a 3G version for Europe as there is really no point selling us all these expensive LTE chips we'll never use. I couldn't care less about Siri either - in fact I'm happy with my iPhone 4's voice control as I can at least use it for voice dialling in the car when I'm out of 3G coverage. Here in the 'sticks' it often drops to GPRS and that's not good enough for Siri.

So for me the only thing it's got over the iPad 1 is really the retina screen but it will be a big one, just like it was for the iPhone 4.

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Agree on every point. I'm from the uk so LTE or lack of it is irrelevant like you say. Plus I agree about speed alone not being an exciting reason to upgrade, hence why I tend to buy a mac laptop every 3 or 4 years - enough feature improvements have accumulated to make it a much better experience. Speed bumps alone? Meh. Jump to retina level display? Massive given that 80% of my activity on the iPad involves reading.

7. JamesM macrumors regular

Same here!

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iPad screen looks meh now compared to my 4S so I want an iPad with retina display.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

There's a whole lot they could do with this form factor.

The problem is, I don't think they are doing much with it. Just a screen and cpu upgrade? Come on.

If it's just a screen change, improved OS, cpu beef up, and some other tweaks, it will barely be worth the 3 moniker.

But it will give a sense of Apples direction (along with the the next few updates and revisions).

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm not particularly excited about the iPad 3... but that's mainly because the iPad doesn't particularly excite me :p

Though I do agree the Retina display was probably the best upgrade to ever come to the iPhone. LTE is useless for me in the multiple areas I peruse (college and back where the parents live)... no coverage. As for Siri, haven't used it since the first week I got it. Meh

11. iNotion macrumors regular

iNotion

Excited about it because this will be my 1st iPad.. More upgrades are welcome!

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My observation reveals something interesting.

People are called "Spec Whores" when simply having a discussion about devices.

Conversely when Apple releases a new product, suddenly it's OK to focus on the specs.

What a fascinating game :)

I'll be getting the new model because I always do.

It's what I enjoy.

13. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I have an iPad 1, and i'm excited, with the new apps and developers pushing devices to their limits, i really want the extra power, and the screen will be amazing, I'm also looking forward to having Siri, even if its only a gimmick.

not sure if i would be as excited if i already had the iPad 2 though...

14. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

So basically what you said is that it isn't that interesting if... you have an iPad 2, otherwise it is interesting.

I have an iPad 1 and I'll be getting a 3 as soon as humanly possible. The iPad 1 runs like crap on ios 5, and the pixels are enormous.

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

For me Retina alone would be reason enough. Using iPhone 4 I really got used to the screen on that phone and it's quality. Everytime when switching to iPad 2 it's obvious that the screen is less good and fonts are not as smooth. So yes: retina its the reason.

All other feature we expect are nice to have: LTE, quad core, memory, Siri. But less exciting.

Another "must-buy" feature would be a haptic screen; I would love to get that; would open a new way of user experience in many ways. Not sure if this version gets it already.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

I dunno, spec whores imo are people who equate faster with automatically being better, and in the process sometimes ignore the user experience. I've said as much in another thread, it amuses me that a few of my mates have got the latest and greatest Android phones, the cpu of which, typically 1.5ghz dual core, absolutely well and truly smokes my crusty iPhone 4's 800mhz single core....yet, in use, is noticeably slower and laggier for many tasks.

"But it's faster!" they say.

"Er, except it isn't!", I respond.

I'm no Apple fanboy either, I've got a rather spiffy Galaxy Tab 7.7 with Super Amoled Plus, 1280x800 res screen, 1gb ram, 1.5(or 1.4, I forget)ghz dual core cpu. I love it - it's a tremendous ebook reader, awesome video player, great for browsing the net, has amazing battery life and fits in my pocket so I can take it everywhere.....but it lags a tad compared with my iPhone 4, and markedly so next to my iPad 2. Equally, it loses thing from ram (when multitasking) much quicker than either my iOS devices. Yes yes, I know iOS for the most part (with obvious exceptions) isn't multitasking and is save states, but for the same tasks - ebook app, browser, video player, podcast player, email - the 7.7 flushes the memory waaaay faster than my iPhone/iPad. This perfectly illustrates the misnomer surrounding specs for me.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not that excited. I have the iPad 1 and 2 so it is not like they have stopped working. I will "calmly" order over the Internet from the Apple store and it will get delivered just as they have in the past.

Been though this too many times to squeeeeel like a little girl!:eek:

18. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I will loose a little bit of excitement if it doesn't come in 32GB base and 128GB top.

19. urkel macrumors 68030

Im torn on the whole thing.

On one hand I feel that the iPad 3 announcement is a bit overhyped
    and IF Apple decided to skip upgrades this year then most of us would be perfectly happy with the iPad 2. Sure there is lots of room for improvement but I wouldn't buy an LTE version, 32GB was good enough and the screen was passable so it's not like I ever felt "stuck".

But on the other hand I sold my iPad2's once again at just the right time and only lost $50/ea for a years usage so I'm pumped to get a new toy. Like I said, I never felt "stuck" with the iPad 2 but even if it's only a retina display then I feel it's going to be one of those moments where you go "wow, i never realized how bad the iPad 2 screen was".

So if someone isn't excited then I get it. But if someone is overly excited then I don't blame them because, despite the popularity in every sector, to most (not all) people the iPad is more a fun productivity gadget than a survival tool. And everyone loves new gadgets.

20. d0vr macrumors 6502a

To me, retina display and LTE would just be Apple playing catch up. And I really don't like companies that play catch up too much, they're boring. If it has haptic feedback though, then woooah.

21. iWantThat macrumors member

Maybe I'm missing something but what other company makes a tablet with a 2048 by 1536 resolution?

22. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

[​IMG]

23. bjmach macrumors 6502

I'm excited for the Retina Display and the improved camera. About to go to the middle east for a year away from the family starting in July. It will be great to use facetime and talk to the family while I'm gone. Gave my wife my Ipad 2 and my daughter my Ipad 1 and will probably move to a 2 year refresh cycle. With that being said Apple does always find away to innovate something that makes me want to upgrade the following year so its a possibility they do something amazing with the 4th Gen Ipad that makes me pull out my wallet again. :D

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

LTE is 'catch up', yes, but I don't think you fully grasp what a huge deal, having a screen with that high a resolution really is, on. 9.7" screen.
    In portrait orientation, at a 1:1 ratio, even the biggest Cinema Display can't show it fully, whilst the 27" iMac can't show it fully at all! :eek:

25. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm kidding with you OP, I agree. Even with all the rumors, I still don't know what to expect.

Would it be rude to make a verbal yawn if the device does not impress, very loudly, at the Keynote?