Anybody recommend headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jmebbk, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jmebbk macrumors regular

I need some new earphones and i have a good budget of £100-£130....
    what do you recommend?

are the jaybird blue bud x any good?

2. SoIsays macrumors regular

I enjoy my 3 year old Klipsch S4i's. Or you could go the headphone route with the Shure SRH840.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Open or closed?

Do you want to hear what's going on around you and don't mind if others hear your music (and you're not near others who _do_ mind hearing your music), or do you want to be shut off from the world?

For open headphones plugged into a portable device with very little power, nothing beats the sound quality of the Grado SR60i. Possibly the SR80 if you use it with an amplifier as well, not only with the iPhone. Never heard of "jaybird blue bud", and I think I would have heard of them if they were any good. Warning: They are on eBay for totally idiotic prices. Under £80 is a reasonable price, under £100 borderline acceptable.

By the way, your headline says "headphones" and then you switch to "earphones". So make up your mind.

4. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

sorry in ear headphones.....
    i listen to mainly r&b and hip-hop btw....

the jaybird are bluetooth wire free earphones....

I don't want headphones....earphones please to use with my android device....

5. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

wanted something a bit more than them tbh

6. Selmir macrumors member

Selmir

Nocs NS400. The best earphones I've ever bought and even better than my AKG K518 DJ and Sennheiser CX400-II Precision. Perfect when you run or do other activities. Great sound, great sub.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Great earphones! Don't discount these, they sound much more expensive than they cost.

8. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

9. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried/used the onkyo es-fc300? Would like some input.

10. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

If u listen to hiphop the absolute earphones to get are the atrios mg7

11. yoshidervish macrumors newbie

I love my Bose mie2i and the qc20i I just purchased.

12. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

arnt bose supposed to be really bad and overrated?
    i heard bose earphones are as bad as beats

13. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am very happy with my Shure SE215 in-ears. They also cut a lot of outside noise (on a plane for instance).

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Bose are pricey and heavily marketed. They are decent. The MIE2i have good reviews. I would get these over Beats anytime. That being said, their are better choices for that price. Klipsch S4i are great and can be had for $50 at times on Amazon. The customer service is great as well. Shure makes great earphones.

15. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

i had the klipsh but they didn't last at all. poor build quality despite very good sound...

i want something a bit expensive....

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Did you have the II version with flat cable? They have improved them a bit.

If you need volume/track control the choices are a bit limited. The Shure SE215 are great headphones, but the cable is very bulky.

17. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

i agree with that

what about beats by dre...i know this sounds a dumb question but are they as bad as everybody says?

18. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The headphones or the earbuds? They don't sound very bad if you prefer bass heavy headphones. They are not articulate. They are over priced by by about 2-3X. They tend to break fast. They do look nice though. If you decide to buy these-I advise against-get a protection plan from a retail store that allows you to exchange for new units the day you return your broken ones. Otherwise you are waiting weeks and months to have them repair them via warranty.

19. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Nah i only want earphones...yeah I won't get them. I have heard about durability problems

what about the Bowers & Wilkins C5... should i get them or are they not for my genre of music

20. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Beats are like Bose but worse.

22. gbrnole macrumors newbie

yes bought a pair for my wife last year. possibly the best BT earphones available. not bass monsters, they aren't meant to be, but very clean sound with ample bass.

the rubber ear wings could maybe be a little bit better but work well enough once you get them fit properly - come with a bunch of different sizes.

my kid also has a pair of beats in ear phones, the jaybirds are quite a bit better IMO. of course my son would disagree since all he care about is bass :)

23. macigo macrumors regular

I have a question. Why are most listening devices earbuds now? Why do most of them go in or over the ear?

It wasn't like that 5 years ago.

24. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

If you're the kind of person who wants to buy it and forget it (know that you've got the best and not have to think about it again) then you want the B&W P7 headphones.

It's definitely in the top tier of headphones right now. Top tier means that any members of the tier are #1, 1a, 1b, 1c. They all truly equally good headphones at that point.

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Anybody bought headphones from Monoprice? There's a set of Bluetooth over-the-ear headphones that looks pretty good for about $70.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082708&p_id=10246&seq=1&format=2

It's hard to gauge reviews because "sounds good" is impossible to quantify. I don't need freakin' thundering bass, but I do like strong bass. I'd rather them have a little too much bass because I can then adjust that on the iPhone. I don't give a rat's patoot about playing music from an SD card as this model does, but it's there. I basically hate the cables and would like a wireless set of headphones with the option to use on calls -- I know quality is hit and miss -- but mostly for listening without wires.

If someone knows of another brand that's better within striking distance of that price, I'd love to hear about it. The Bose model I have listened to at Target sounds quite awesome, which is why I'm confused when people call Bose stuff crap. I think it was about $130-$150 for over-the-ear headphones that sounded awesome.