Anybody try Zite yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by EmmEff, Mar 12, 2011.

1. EmmEff macrumors regular

Leo Laporte recommended it as a Flipboard competitor on iPad Today this week.

I tried it last night. It "feels" a lot like Flipboard. Overall, it works pretty well. The presentation is Flipboardesque. I like the idea of it finding feeds based on your Google Reader feeds

It has been a bit unstable having crashed on the same feed multiple times, but not terribly for a 1.0 app.

2. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I am digging Zite. I probably like it better than Flipboard. It has not crashed on my yet.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Hey! Nice that it's free. Just downloaded.
    I appreciate the tap on the shoulder.

4. EmmEff thread starter macrumors regular

I emailed the authors asking to implement Instapaper support. Having to email article bookmarks to myself is a bit tedious.

5. Mawal macrumors regular

6. EmmEff thread starter macrumors regular

I don't find it slow at all but again it's a version 1.0 release so there's always room for improvement.

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I am going to say something here.

This app is not getting the attention it deserves. IMO there is nothing in the app store that even comes close to this free app. (that I have found, and we all know how tedious it is to find on the app store.)

The daily should take note. As for speed, on my iP1, it loads up in about 20 seconds or less after pulling it's content.

Lastly, I appreciate the way it learns and allows me to rate my articles, authors and websites so it pulls more stories from. Even Macrumors articles are posted on it under the Mac category.

Just an outstanding job on this 1.0 app.

Color me impressed.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I downloaded it based on this thread and I'm amazed how good it is. I got lost in there for an hour the other day. It's extremely effective at putting content in front of me that I find interesting based on my Google Reader feeds and similar content. Outstanding app! I'd happily pay a few bucks for this... and it's currently free.

9. EmmEff thread starter macrumors regular

I'm with both of you guys! I would be happy to pay for this app. It can only get better going forward and for me, that's basically only adding Instapaper support right now.

10. Beccad macrumors newbie

I've been using Zite since late last week. So far, I like it better than Flipboard and Pulse. It is quicker than Flipboard and it seems to be pulling in a lot of relevant content.

11. Star-fire macrumors 6502

12. eTip macrumors 6502

+1

Seems like every time there is another news aggregation app, there is all kinds of hubub about how great and groundbreaking it is & I end up being underwhelmed. Hardly heard anything about Zite, yet it's my favorite by far.

13. mrl72 macrumors regular

14. Cha macrumors regular

I am surprised by how much I like the app. It's definitely a great app for people who follow a lot of RSS feeds.

15. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

16. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I just got this app. It's great! It is nicely done and can only get better.

17. liavman macrumors 6502

Thanks for the pointer to this excellent App. I just downloaded it and it started being useful from the first minute. It is so easy to set up.

18. whiskeyred macrumors regular

19. pitt1717 macrumors 6502

really want to like the app as it flows very nicely article to article. but using google reader, it seem like its not picking up any of my feeds.
    if i just choose GR and none of the standard sections, it tells my cant find any feeds. if i choose some sections from zite i get articles and a few from my feeds.
    i would really love to get my local state/county/city news feeds in there, then it would be my goto app

20. EmmEff thread starter macrumors regular

Keep in mind it uses your Google Reader to determine what you like. It will not display all of your Google Reader feeds.

21. EmmEff thread starter macrumors regular

Also, Instapaper support added as of yesterday! Yay!

22. datapolitical macrumors regular

datapolitical

Perhaps the #1 reason I'm buying the iPad 2

So I knew I liked the original iPad,
    then I met Flipboard and knew iWanted one.
    Next I read about Zite and began to feel a need,
    Finally I played with it on launch day, and I was hooked.

23. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

I really, really like Zite. I don't really see the great appeal of Flipboard, Zite handles things much more smoothly. The Sections area could use some work, as it hides many of mine off screen, but otherwise it's been awesome.