Anyone adding a new line to AT&T to get upgrade price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmie Geddes, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Jimmie Geddes macrumors regular

I've spoken to reps from AT&T a few times today trying to figure out the best way of getting the iPhone 4S for the 2 year contract price and have been told so many different things.

One rep said I could cancel my service for $175 and I'd then be eligible for the $299 iPhone 4S 32GB, but I would lose my current #.

Another rep told me to add a line to my account to get the 4S for $299, swap SIMS from my 4 to the 4S to keep my #, then cancel and be charged the $175 ETF, and I'd still have my original #. (This sounds too good to be true). Is it?

I've already sold my iPhone 4 32GB to Gazelle for $260 so that helps justifying spending an extra $40 + $175 to get the 4S and keep my original #.

Thanks in advance!

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I'm going to add a line but keep the line. Since you're adding a smartphone, the ETF is not $175. The price is significantly higher- $325. Plus, you would have to pay the first months bill-$9.99+tax- and wait until the initial 30 day period ends to cancel it. So that's: $325 + $299 (32GB 4S) + $9.99 = $633.

It's up to you if it's worth it.
    I'm adding a line but keeping it so I can use my original line upgrade next iPhone and then this added line after that. It pretty much guarantees I always have an upgrade available and it's only an extra $10 a month. That's $240 for TWO years and you're guaranteed an upgrade. Not bad.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I may be mistaken, but I really don't think you can keep your same number if you add a line and then cancel the other. I've done this twice with AT&T, from the first gen to the 3G and then the 3G to the 3GS and I know this wasn't an option then.

I've been told so many different things from different AT&T CSR's. I'm pretty sure you got some bad information there.

4. tl01 macrumors 65816

So you don't have to pay the data on that line? Do you have a phone on it at all or you just pay for it?

5. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If you're not using a smartphone, you don't have to have data. When you order the iPhone, you must add a data plan but once you receive the phone just call AT&T and they will remove the data plan from that line and move the iPhone to the line you want to use it on. It's really simple and they do it all the time. You pay just the $10 for the minutes. I'm going to add a cheap non-smartphone on to the line and give it to a family member but you certainty don't have to.

6. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Guys, how would I go about removing data plan from my first line after getting a second line?

I was told to provide them with IMEI# of a dumbphone, but I don't have any.

Any tips or workaround?

Thanks.

7. wratran macrumors regular

ATT require a data plan...so it would be 10 for voice and $15 for data
    Isn't this correct

8. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Yeah, sorry about that. You have to give them the IMEI of a non-smartphone for them to remove the data plan. $15 on eBay if you don't have one already.

9. Jimmie Geddes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding, I knew it sounded too good to be true. So if I kept the line would it be an extra $10 per month on top of both iPhones costing me $80 per month, total charges around $170.00 per month? I'm only going to be using one line, is there a way to significantly lower the monthly charge? Thanks in advance!

10. Big Apple macrumors member

I am actually going to do the same thing as I have a family member who could benefit from being on my line but doesn't need a smart phone. Do you know if we can pre order and add a line tonight through AT&T or just do a new line and have AT&T set it up when it arrives.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Guys, this is crazy. Rather than pay money for a line (or two) you aren't going to use, just save your pennies and buy an unlocked phone, or kick in the extra $250 to upgrade early.

12. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I think only about $130-$135 a month with two iPhones on a family plan.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. I have a Verizon iPhone. I would add a line to get the $199 price. Couldn't I then take a dumbphone to Verizon, say I lost my first iPhone, and then have the dumbphone on a family plan with the 4S.
    The cost would then be about $110 per month(including taxes) for both phones.

You could probably do this on AT&T as well.

Isn't this correct?

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You would have to order it as a new customer and have at&t merge the accounts.

14. supervelous macrumors 6502

When you add a line, I believe it can actually be an extra 20 per month, yes you can add a line for extra 9.99, but if you're like me and use the cheapest voice plan, I believe the cheapest family plan is $10/month more expensive for minutes, on top of the $10 extra per month for adding a line.

15. egonpax macrumors 6502

Not too bad at all. I'm basically doing the same thing but adding another layer of complication on top of that.

My wife will be porting her number over from Tmobile when we get the 4S in... so how in the world does that work? I'm not too sure. Anyone know?

16. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Not sure about CDMA by I know with att, as soon as you put the sim back in the iPhone they know you're using a smartphone.

17. Big Apple macrumors member

Thank you! :)

18. egonpax macrumors 6502

Oh interesting.... when do we merge them? ASAP or when the phone comes in and activate it?

----------

But what would you do with your original first iphone? Sell it?

19. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I wish I knew the answer to answer all these questions. Your best bet is to call AT&T and ask. It's not weird for them, they do this ALL the time so it's not like you're fooling the system or anything. :eek:

If they're closed, call the after hours line: 1-866-801-3600

20. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The cheapest familytalk voice plan has a 3 line limit.

21. egonpax macrumors 6502

Thanks but I'm getting some weird answers from them.

22. andyx3x macrumors 65816

----------

[/COLOR]

But what would you do with your original first iphone? Sell it?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

23. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

You will have the option to add a line. Don't set up a new account as I'm not sure AT&T can merge them..

On Apple's website now, if you were to buy the 4, it shows this:

[​IMG]

It will be the same for the 4S and you just click Add a new line..

I'm sure the options are similar through AT&T's website.

:)

Also, if you create a brand new account, you may have to pay a deposit depending on your credit. If you already have an account and are just adding a line, you will not have to pay that deposit no matter what.

24. egonpax macrumors 6502

Having my wife switch to AT&T from Tmobile.

This is what the AT&T CSR told me for what we want to do...

1. Pre-order iphone 4S and add to existing Family plan with new line.

2. When phone comes in transfer and port number (which will create ANOTHER new line on family plan.)

3. Cancel original new line.

4. ?

5. Profit.

Does that make any sense?

25. Big Apple macrumors member

Thanks that was very helpful. I wasn't sure if I could add to an existing line directly through Apple so that is perfect. :)