iPhone X Anyone been shocked (electrocuted) by their X?

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
111
64
Not shocked as in surprised, shocked as in your phone has zapped you at any point. I had mine on charge using the cable I recieved with the phone, charging it through a MacBook Pro. I just got a pretty decent shock on my leg when it was sitting on it.

Is this something common enough that it’s not something to worry about? It definitely wasn’t a static shock because it lasted until I moved the phone. Am I just a good conductor?
 

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
2,720
1,861
Arizona
I have not had that happen with any of my iPhones or iPads. I’ve had static shock happen when walking across carpet and plugging the phone into the charger though. Possible your wall outlet has a bad ground..
 

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
284
128
6ix
Is this something common enough that it’s not something to worry about??
This is not common. You should be worrying, unless for whatever reason you confused a vibrate with a shock. If you know for sure it was a legit shock... genius bar you go
 

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
111
64
This is not common. You should be worrying, unless for whatever reason you confused a vibrate with a shock. If you know for sure it was a legit shock... genius bar you go
It was a definite shock. But it was only one. Could it have been circumstantial? I don’t live in a country where we have apple stores so it takes like 5 days for the repair process to happen.
[doublepost=1516079756][/doublepost]
I have not had that happen with any of my iPhones or iPads. I’ve had static shock happen when walking across carpet and plugging the phone into the charger though. Possible your wall outlet has a bad ground..

So it could be the power supply to the laptop causing it?
 

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
2,720
1,861
Arizona
It was a definite shock. But it was only one. Could it have been circumstantial? I don’t live in a country where we have apple stores so it takes like 5 days for the repair process to happen.
[doublepost=1516079756][/doublepost]


So it could be the power supply to the laptop causing it?
If the outlet has a bad ground, anything plugged into it could shock you. Not sure if you have your phone plugged into your laptop and then the laptop plugged into the outlet. Maybe you should try to charge the phone directly from the outlet to see if it still happens. You could also try charging from a completely different outlet to isolate the problem.
 

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
30,357
30,618
Not shocked as in surprised, shocked as in your phone has zapped you at any point. I had mine on charge using the cable I recieved with the phone, charging it through a MacBook Pro. I just got a pretty decent shock on my leg when it was sitting on it.

Is this something common enough that it’s not something to worry about? It definitely wasn’t a static shock because it lasted until I moved the phone. Am I just a good conductor?
If it was only once, I would monitor to make sure it does not happen again. If it does happen again, then by no means would I be using that phone any further.
 
Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
9,218
1,584
You could have discharged static from yourself to the phone.

Or

Did it feel tingly? If so then that’s normal.
 

0007776

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
6,474
8,051
Somewhere
If it only happened once I would just watch to make sure it doesn’t happen again, and if it does then take it to be repaired.
 

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
1,023
141
Could this have been a static shock? Is your computer grounded? Are you using the Apple charging cable? If the answers are no, yes and yes, get the phone to Apple and relate what happened.

My money is on a static shock due to dry conditions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
111
64
Could this have been a static shock? Is your computer grounded? Are you using the Apple charging cable? If the answers are no, yes and yes, get the phone to Apple and relate what happened.

My money is on a static shock due to dry conditions.
I said in the post that it’s not static because it was a sustained zap and not one single shock and that it was the cable that came with the iphone. I’m not sure how to tell if my computer is grounded.
 

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
9,218
1,584
I said in the post that it’s not static because it was a sustained zap and not one single shock and that it was the cable that came with the iphone. I’m not sure how to tell if my computer is grounded.
If your using the short charger it’s not grounded.

If the power brick is on the Apple extension then it is.
 

reaborg

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
63
0
Santa Clara
Your battery by itself won’t be shocking you. The voltage is not high enough unless whatever body part it touched was wet, but even then...

If your laptop was not plugged-in to the outlet, it’s most likely electrostatic discharge from your body to the metal of your phone that’s connected to your MacBook. Maybe you have a carpet in your house and your body built up charge...

If your laptop was plugged-in, as some people have said, you may have a grounding issue with your outlet. If you have access to a volt meter (and know how to use it safely), measure between your outlet’s ground pin and power pins and ensure the voltages are per your country/local codes. If you can’t do it, have an electrician verify the grounding is good. Ideally, you will also have to check that the ground pin is truly tied to earth ground somewhere around your house.

This also assumes you are using a three-pin charger for your MacBook. If you aren’t, maybe look into getting one. In the US, the 120V has one of the pins as neutral which is grounded near the transformer. So we can get away with two pins for low power stuff. If you are using two pins, one of the pins (neutral) to the ground pin should be very close to 0V (won’t be exactly 0, but shouldn’t be more than 5VAC or so I imagine).
 
Last edited:

Allyance

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2017
278
200
East Bay, CA
You are not going to get a shock from 5 volts, you have a poor AC power connection, which is why they have ground fault outlets, but they are not common in bedrooms. I would suggest you look at entire setup. If the Macbook Pro has a 3 wire AC cord, then it wasn't properly grounded or a defective brick for the MBP.
 

LoveMyMacPro

Suspended
Aug 22, 2015
239
231
Nope, never. That's not normal. You either have a defective charger, are using a shady third party one that's not properly shielded or grounded, or the electrical outlet it was plugged into is bad.
 

Sammie_D

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
2
1
Not shocked as in surprised, shocked as in your phone has zapped you at any point. I had mine on charge using the cable I recieved with the phone, charging it through a MacBook Pro. I just got a pretty decent shock on my leg when it was sitting on it.

Is this something common enough that it’s not something to worry about? It definitely wasn’t a static shock because it lasted until I moved the phone. Am I just a good conductor?
Yes! I've just happen to me from my Iphone X tonight! The side of the phone was touching my arm and it's happened around 3/4 times this evening! Did you get any help with it Jason?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Breezygirl

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
1,023
141
Are you using a case? This has not happened to me with my X, nor my wife with her X. We have our phones in cases. Not so much as even a small static discharge, not to mention being electrocuted by the phone or the charger.
 

Sammie_D

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
2
1
No, I used to but I stopped. It's never happened on any of my past apple phones, wondering if it could be something to do with the metal. Tonight is the first time it's happened but like I said it was charging at the time...
 

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
3,563
1,079
UK
It was a definite shock. But it was only one. Could it have been circumstantial? I don’t live in a country where we have apple stores so it takes like 5 days for the repair process to happen.
Arent you more concerned with being electrocuted, maybe even at a higher current than before, or even someone you love, or someone small, or fragile getting shocked?

*current kills, voltage pushes current.
[doublepost=1534849942][/doublepost]
How about going to Apple and requesting a diagnosis? Why haven’t you done that? Your iPhone may carry a severe factory defect.
I think the OP has just found out he is an android and has a wireless charging pad in his leg. He needs to go talk to his "parents" so they can explain he isnt a real boy.

/j