Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
For those who have used either I would love to hear how the 6s/6s+ compares.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I went the other direction. I sold my iPhone 6 last week and upgraded to an S6. I waited to see if the 6s would impress me and it did not.

How are you finding it? The Note 4 still holds some allure for me but I tried the S6 Edge+ and didn't like the way that the curved edges made webpage content look. The edges seemed to get in the way rather than enhance the experience.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
I went the other direction. I sold my iPhone 6 last week and upgraded to an S6. I waited to see if the 6s would impress me and it did not.
I did that earlier this year when the S6 first dropped. Loved it at first but then android started being android. After 2 months it got very laggy, battery life took a nose dive and other weird glitches would occur. Tried a factory reset which helped breifly then it went back to being slow. Even though I love the screen, form factor, camera and customization I really started to miss how fluid and optimized iOS is. My iPhone 6 with 1gb of RAM ran smoother than the S6 with 3gb. Thats crazy. Cant wait to get my 6s

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
How are you finding it? The Note 4 still holds some allure for me but I tried the S6 Edge+ and didn't like the way that the curved edges made webpage content look. The edges seemed to get in the way rather than enhance the experience.
So far so good. I hated the curved edge thing so I got one with the normal screen. I agree the edges did not enhance the experience. I am not a heavy phone user. I go several days on a battery charge. I use it mainly for photos. I really can't tell much difference between Android and Apple except the photos look a whole lot better. I no longer get photos that look like watercolor paintings.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Loving Iphone 6s Plus coming from a Note 5, previously had a Iphone 6 plus. Things I'm loving are for one multitasking seem much better. It's weird the Iphone 6s Plus only has 2GB of ram to the Notes 4 gbs and seems to have no problem keeping apps open like the Note 5 did. Touch idea is much more consistent with working. One thing I've hated about android is that they have used fingerprint tech far longer than apple yet apple has it implemented more like opening Chase app, Capital one app, etc. Honestly thought I would miss the screen and yes it better on the Note 5 but unless it's side by side I really can't tell doing day to day thing. One thing the Note 5 wins with is quick charging loved that feature. But I still have the Note 5 for a few days I really want to try out Samsung Pay which launches on 9/28/2015. And hope the New Gear S2 watch works with the Iphone because it in my opinion has more functionality than the Apple watch.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
For me it was strictly a question of which one had the best camera, S6 or 6s. The rest of the phone simply doesn't matter to me. I don't use anything else enough for it to matter. The S6 has more megapixels, a larger diameter lens and optical image stabilization. So it clearly wins in my book. I am an ex pro photographer and I abandoned my dslr system last year for the convenience of cell phone photography. While cell phones are not as good as dslrs are yet, I feel we are only a few generations away from that happening. Even if it doesn't I am still massively impressed with my S6

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
For me it was strictly a question of which one had the best camera, S6 or 6s. The rest of the phone simply doesn't matter to me. I don't use anything else enough for it to matter. The S6 has more megapixels, a larger diameter lens and optical image stabilization. So it clearly wins in my book. I am an ex pro photographer and I abandoned my dslr system last year for the convenience of cell phone photography. While cell phones are not as good as dslrs are yet, I feel we are only a few generations away from that happening. Even if it doesn't I am still massively impressed with my S6

Just curious before the s6 did u own basically a phone with the supposed best camera, like the lumia? Because it seems like the camera is your make or break feature.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Just curious before the s6 did u own basically a phone with the supposed best camera, like the lumia? Because it seems like the camera is your make or break feature.
Before the S6 I owned an iPhone 6. Before that an iPhone 4s. I would not own any Windows cell phone. The camera is the only feature I am interested in. I use a cell phone very little. A battery charge lasts me a few days.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I did that earlier this year when the S6 first dropped. Loved it at first but then android started being android. After 2 months it got very laggy, battery life took a nose dive and other weird glitches would occur. Tried a factory reset which helped breifly then it went back to being slow. Even though I love the screen, form factor, camera and customization I really started to miss how fluid and optimized iOS is. My iPhone 6 with 1gb of RAM ran smoother than the S6 with 3gb. Thats crazy. Cant wait to get my 6s
This has been my exact same experience,it starts off great then over time the lag begins. I'm so done with Samsung.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I think for most of us the camera is perfectly fine and I say this coming for the note 5. Most people purpose for taking pictures and videos is to upload them onto Facebook, Twitter, IG, and as we all know no matter the quality of the picture or video Facebook not sure about the other two since I don't really use them but I suspect they are the same downgrades your photo to the point it's almost like you shot it with a 5 mp camera instead of the 12 to 20 mp your phone might have. Video is even worse shooting in 4K makes no difference either the quality always doesn't match up.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
I am doing Samsung S6 Edge trial program so I currently have a iPhone 6s+, 6s and the S6 Edge. I have had the edge for about 28 days now and my thoughts are as follows

S6 Edge
Pros
  1. Camera Quality is amazing. Easily beats the iPhone 6s. The colors are more natural and there is better detail on both the front and rear camera. The iPhone 6s camera is faster though which at times can be very important
  2. Android interface utilizes widgets better - Fully customizable on every screen. Having a google search window, weather, and access to sports scores without launching apps is great. Another example, "message heads" appear on your screen so you can quickly access Facebook chats without having to launch the app. Very nifty.
  3. The screen is beautiful and the right size - The screen definitely is a step up from the iPhone in all categories. There really is no argument here. The "edge" screen is take it or leave it in terms of functionality, but since it gives you extra width real-estate, it is worth it over the base mode S6. The edge to edge screen is gives the phone a stylish look.
Cons
  1. Battery life - Android OS has a lot going on and Samsung's decision to put a smaller battery in this phone was a bad one. The battery life isn't bad by any means, it is just not up to par with other competitors and definitely not as good as the 6s+.
  2. The UI does feel a little segregated/defined when adding additional widgets. Not really a bad thing, but it gives the UI a legacy feeling.
  3. Not as simple to use as iOS - There is more of a learning curve with Android and settings are tougher to find and understand. At times this is a con for android and at times it is a pro because you are given a lot more customization and flexibility.
  4. Wifi connection - Not as stable as iPhone. Also switches wifi connections on the fly as you lose connections. This is frustrating when you are walking the city and you are connected to xfinity wifi because when you return home, it does not automatically connect to your home wifi if the xfinity wifi is still available.

Direct Comparison snapshot
  1. Overall Size - The S6 Edge is a few mms taller than the iPhone 6s and a few mm wider. Overall the size is very similar, however there are 2 big points to make.
      1. The S6 screen size is noticeably bigger. The S6 screen is about 1/2 inch taller and maybe a 1/4 inch wider. This adds a lot to the overall screen interaction and feel.
      2. The iPhone 6s feels better in your hand. It is the perfect size. The extra few mms on the Samsung and the curve edge that is sharp just feels a little awkward compared to the 6s. Obviously, the 6s+ is much bigger and that is whole different story and is a matter of taste
  2. OS/UI - Overall, I liked the Android UI better than the iPhone. It definitely has its share of downfalls, but overall it has a better mix of simplicity and power than the iPhone. IMO, the iPhone is behind the curve here and the iPhone just feels stale in comparison.

I could on forever, and feel free to message me if you more info, but these are the items that stood out to me.

What phone am I choosing? The 6s+. It is tough to leave an ecosystem. I thoroughly enjoyed my Samsung S6 edge and the android OS, however it became clear to me that the better phone is not always the phone to choose. This is where apple shines. Everything work and everything is simple.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I use both iOS and android, I have two running lines on at&t and just choose to use both platforms for various things dealing with personal and the business side of things.

This is just my take...I sold my S6 and am using my HTC M8 for the time being until a new nexus gets realeased. Also I won't be going back to Samsung any time soon. The S6 was a beautiful phone that did indeed take nice pics and videos, however after a few months with it things began to slow down quite a bit. I used both the Samsung Launcher and Google Experience Launcher and the last month or 2 things have gotten really slow. This happen with my S3 and S4 and is just a Samsung thing IMO, because my Nexus devices never slowed down at all.

Honestly I don't miss it at all, and with the upgrades to the 6s plus camera...I'm good with using it for my personal life and business. I take an extremely large amount of pics and video : )

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I use both iOS and android, I have two running lines on at&t and just choose to use both platforms for various things dealing with personal and the business side of things.

This is just my take...I sold my S6 and am using my HTC M8 for the time being until a new nexus gets realeased. Also I won't be going back to Samsung any time soon. The S6 was a beautiful phone that did indeed take nice pics and videos, however after a few months with it things began to slow down quite a bit. I used both the Samsung Launcher and Google Experience Launcher and the last month or 2 things have gotten really slow. This happen with my S3 and S4 and is just a Samsung thing IMO, because my Nexus devices never slowed down at all.

Honestly I don't miss it at all, and with the upgrades to the 6s plus camera...I'm good with using it for my personal life and business. I take an extremely large amount of pics and video : )

I used to be a Samsung guy until I discovered the Nexus 5, now I have the Nexus 6 and love it. Only Android phones I'll ever use.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Samsung phones do slow down in time and the battery goes down the toilet. I have a nexus 6 now and love it. New nexus phones on Tuesday and the specs look great! I do have an ipad air 2 I'm typing on now but it has too many things lacking compared to android to make me consider an iPhone.

Reactions: Fried_Gold

Coasterfanryan

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
I went from the S6 Edge to the 6S and I'm happy with my decision. When I moved to T-Mobile I wanted to give Android a try again. I was mostly happy, but a lot of little things bugged me. The biggest issue was RAM management and how slow the phone would get after a couple weeks of use. With 3GB of RAM I was baffled. Better luck next time, I guess?

For the time being I back to iOS land with hopefully a more stable device.

Bobbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I am doing Samsung S6 Edge trial program so I currently have a iPhone 6s+, 6s and the S6 Edge. I have had the edge for about 28 days now and my thoughts are as follows

S6 Edge
Pros
  1. Camera Quality is amazing. Easily beats the iPhone 6s. The colors are more natural and there is better detail on both the front and rear camera. The iPhone 6s camera is faster though which at times can be very important
  2. Android interface utilizes widgets better - Fully customizable on every screen. Having a google search window, weather, and access to sports scores without launching apps is great. Another example, "message heads" appear on your screen so you can quickly access Facebook chats without having to launch the app. Very nifty.
  3. The screen is beautiful and the right size - The screen definitely is a step up from the iPhone in all categories. There really is no argument here. The "edge" screen is take it or leave it in terms of functionality, but since it gives you extra width real-estate, it is worth it over the base mode S6. The edge to edge screen is gives the phone a stylish look.
Cons
  1. Battery life - Android OS has a lot going on and Samsung's decision to put a smaller battery in this phone was a bad one. The battery life isn't bad by any means, it is just not up to par with other competitors and definitely not as good as the 6s+.
  2. The UI does feel a little segregated/defined when adding additional widgets. Not really a bad thing, but it gives the UI a legacy feeling.
  3. Not as simple to use as iOS - There is more of a learning curve with Android and settings are tougher to find and understand. At times this is a con for android and at times it is a pro because you are given a lot more customization and flexibility.
  4. Wifi connection - Not as stable as iPhone. Also switches wifi connections on the fly as you lose connections. This is frustrating when you are walking the city and you are connected to xfinity wifi because when you return home, it does not automatically connect to your home wifi if the xfinity wifi is still available.

Direct Comparison snapshot
  1. Overall Size - The S6 Edge is a few mms taller than the iPhone 6s and a few mm wider. Overall the size is very similar, however there are 2 big points to make.
      1. The S6 screen size is noticeably bigger. The S6 screen is about 1/2 inch taller and maybe a 1/4 inch wider. This adds a lot to the overall screen interaction and feel.
      2. The iPhone 6s feels better in your hand. It is the perfect size. The extra few mms on the Samsung and the curve edge that is sharp just feels a little awkward compared to the 6s. Obviously, the 6s+ is much bigger and that is whole different story and is a matter of taste
  2. OS/UI - Overall, I liked the Android UI better than the iPhone. It definitely has its share of downfalls, but overall it has a better mix of simplicity and power than the iPhone. IMO, the iPhone is behind the curve here and the iPhone just feels stale in comparison.

I could on forever, and feel free to message me if you more info, but these are the items that stood out to me.

What phone am I choosing? The 6s+. It is tough to leave an ecosystem. I thoroughly enjoyed my Samsung S6 edge and the android OS, however it became clear to me that the better phone is not always the phone to choose. This is where apple shines. Everything work and everything is simple.

Wow! Great post....great info here. How much better di you find the Samsung camera? The last Androidd I had was the Note 4. Back then the current iPhone was close in quality. Seems like now the current Samsung vs the current iPhone camera quality goes to Samsung, with it not really being close. Would that be an accurate assessment?

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
For those who have used either I would love to hear how the 6s/6s+ compares.
I'm still waiting for my 6s to ship, but I have the iphone 6 and that's good enough to beat Samsung.

I have the s6 edge+ and compared to Apple it sucks!!! The phone lags using simple apps, touchwiz is glitchy and ugly. Apps close down unexpectedly half the time and even more so if you use split screen multi tasking. The play store has a small amount of crappy apps available compared to the abundance of nice quality iOS apps.

The screen is pretty, sure, but so is the iPhones. The camera is nice but so is the iPhones. Also the camera won't open sometimes unless you restart the phone (one of many reasons the damn phone requires a restart).

In the end, the simple answer is android is a crappy experience next to Apple. And the difference between the two is huge. Way bigger than the media lets on.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i have added a line too my AT&T acct and now i have a iphone 6S and its the best iphone i ever had am comeing from the note 5 wish i have on next this need too find some one too buy it from me so i can get it off of my acct any ways back to the iphone 6S i love the phone it is this the right sizse i got the iphone 6S on next all so when i uesd golden state celler now called verizon i had the iphone 4S or many years be for the iphone 5S cam out had the 5S so am a iphone user android sucks all so i find the not 5 to big hvy too hold and i all so find it too tall the iphone 6S is this the right sizse

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm still waiting for my 6s to ship, but I have the iphone 6 and that's good enough to beat Samsung.

I have the s6 edge+ and compared to Apple it sucks!!! The phone lags using simple apps, touchwiz is glitchy and ugly. Apps close down unexpectedly half the time and even more so if you use split screen multi tasking. The play store has a small amount of crappy apps available compared to the abundance of nice quality iOS apps.

The screen is pretty, sure, but so is the iPhones. The camera is nice but so is the iPhones. Also the camera won't open sometimes unless you restart the phone (one of many reasons the damn phone requires a restart).

In the end, the simple answer is android is a crappy experience next to Apple. And the difference between the two is huge. Way bigger than the media lets on.

Pretty sure you've got a defective phone there..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.