Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
Pretty sure you've got a defective phone there..
Nah, I had the s6 edge before I got the plus and it was identical performance. I had hoped the extra 1 gb ram (4gb total) in the plus would fix the lag issues and apps closing but it didn't change squat. :(

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I went the other direction. I sold my iPhone 6 last week and upgraded to an S6. I waited to see if the 6s would impress me and it did not.

have an S6 from my employer. camera is pretty good, but nothing special. just a phone. just like my Note 3 i have most of the samsung cartoon features turned off. and all the crap about it being 1080p or 4k or whatever is nonsense paper specs. my note 3 is supposed to have better PPI than iphones and ipads and i was in the apple store a few weeks ago and the ipad 3 screen kills my note 3

i have a note 3 and would trade it in for an iphone in a heartbeat but too cheap to pay another $900 for another phone

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Serickmetz, I have none of those issues with my S6 Edge. And comparing the screens next to eachother, the Edge has a better screen without question. The camera quality is also noticeably better. To the average user, they would not be able to tell, but it is.

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
Serickmetz, I have none of those issues with my S6 Edge. And comparing the screens next to eachother, the Edge has a better screen without question. The camera quality is also noticeably better. To the average user, they would not be able to tell, but it is.
Does your screen auto dim in dark rooms even with the auto brightness turned off? Just curious because both of mine would do that.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Does your screen auto dim in dark rooms even with the auto brightness turned off? Just curious because both of mine would do that.

Never noticed it, but yes it does. Definitely a bug. There is no question than Android has more bugs and is less efficient handling memory. Those are the 2 biggest drawbacks for me.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I haven't owned Android in this last year, but did have an HTC One and S4 at one point. I really enjoy Android and actually might prefer it except the fact I was issued an iPhone for work, own an iPad, and my daughter who is only 10 and doesn't have a cell phone messages me and facetimes me which was pretty much the tie breaker on my ecosystem.

I LOVED customization on Android, the clearer screens, the widgets, higher specs. BUT was annoyed by the lower app quality, sometimes runaway battery, sometimes I'd get ads on my notifications, it seemed to slow down after a couple months. I had carrier apps on my phone I couldn't delete, I know you can delete with root or other methods but it was annoying. I had an AT&T logo on the back of my phone as well. When I broke my screen on my HTC One I had to send it in to them and pay $200 and no phone for a week, with Apple when I broke my 6 Plus screen I went to Apple Store and paid $79 and was out the door with new screen in 30 minutes. I had tougher time finding accessories and variety of cases and armbands than I did with iPhone as well, although I am sure this is much less of an issue these days with Galaxy line as it's gotten more popular. And lastly, it's much easier to sell an iPhone second hand and it holds its value better than most Android phones. I just sold my 6 Plus for $600 listed only for a couple hours on CL, and this was after the release of the S. It's the only reason I upgraded at full price.

The iPhone just WORKS. Software and hardware together. I loved widgets and customizing on Android, but it's tough for me to go back again. I am a sucker for screen quality though which is why I'm always tempted. I just LOVE a super sharp screen and drool when I see the S6 Edge in the store. So, while I'm iPhone for now I still am also an Android fan, and would consider switching in the future. Maybe when my daughter gets a cell phone and can message and call me without me having an iPhone, depending on the state of things at that time.

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
Never noticed it, but yes it does. Definitely a bug. There is no question than Android has more bugs and is less efficient handling memory. Those are the 2 biggest drawbacks for me.
It feels like android takes forever to address and fix those problems too. I like to blast my screens brightness so the auto dimming has been killing me, lol.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
The only Android phones worth having in my opinion are Google Nexus.
Motorola is doing some great things as of late. The Moto X Pure Edition / Style is 99% stock Android. They usually get updates within a couple weeks (not months/years) of the Google Nexus line. It is buttery smooth with flagship specs, has Moto Maker customization and the fastest charging of any smart phone to date for only $399. My heart is with iOS first, but the Moto is a fun secondary phone to keep around to play with Android.

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
Motorola is doing some great things as of late. The Moto X Pure Edition / Style is 99% stock Android. They usually get updates within a couple weeks (not months/years) of the Google Nexus line. It is buttery smooth with flagship specs, has Moto Maker customization and the fastest charging of any smart phone to date for only $399. My heart is with iOS first, but the Moto is a fun secondary phone to keep around to play with Android.

Motorola cameras are still crappy. I like Sony Xperias...the Android is close to stock and not turned into a Frankenstein experience like Samsung/Touchwiz.

Bad things about Sony phones: a lack of a truly international keyboard (certain languages left out), and Sony putting its in-house crapware into phones, some of which can't be uninstalled unless you root the phone.

JOSEPH99

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2015
For those who have used either I would love to hear how the 6s/6s+ compares.
I have been an iPhone user since day one and I have owned every model. Before the 6+ came along I cheated and went with a Note 4. Didn't really care for it. Hated the UI. Cheap plastic feel. Creaky. More "features" than Apple but for the most part they were useless to me.

To each his own though.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
If you don't like touchwiz, change it! There are tons of launchers for free! I ran Nova on my samsung phones but am keeping it stock on my nexus.

Reactions: M5RahuL

niravdave

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I switched from S6 edge to 6s+.
After 3 months of using S6 edge, phone started lagging quite a bit and battery life literally sucks. I was constantly hunting the apps draining the battery and turning off the services rather than enjoying my phone.
Overall S6 edge's camera quality cant be matched, period.
But I will prefer a phone which runs smooth and keeps atleast full day charge and doesnt keep me busy finding ways to optimize something. And I have a charge left to take some photos at dinner for my office happy hours :) :)..freaking s6 edge dies at 6 PM the most.
Thats where Apple does the best! It's not always higher hardware specs means better phone. Software has to go hand in hand to support the hardware. And iOS rocks in that regards.
I love my 6s+ and most probably I wont go back to Andriod soon.

Reactions: OTACORB

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
I had the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, and most recently, the Galaxy Note 5. The current generation of Samsung phones is, in my opinion, the best that Android has to offer. The Galaxy Note 5 has the best smartphone display I've ever seen, and a spectacular camera. The current generation of Touch Wiz is by far the least offensive. It's hard to leave an ecosystem though and that's why I keep coming back to the iPhone. I have a Mac, iPad Air 2, Apple TV, etc. so being able to use Continuity is extremely beneficial. For anyone considering Android, i recommend the Note 5 wholeheartedly, but I also highly praise the iPhone 6S Plus. I loved the idea of the 6 Plus and had it on hand for the past year. However, it did not have the consistent performance that I've come to expect from Apple. The 6S Plus finally resolves those concerns, and is a fantastic device.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
test
I haven't owned Android in this last year, but did have an HTC One and S4 at one point. I really enjoy Android and actually might prefer it except the fact I was issued an iPhone for work, own an iPad, and my daughter who is only 10 and doesn't have a cell phone messages me and facetimes me which was pretty much the tie breaker on my ecosystem.

I LOVED customization on Android, the clearer screens, the widgets, higher specs. BUT was annoyed by the lower app quality, sometimes runaway battery, sometimes I'd get ads on my notifications, it seemed to slow down after a couple months. I had carrier apps on my phone I couldn't delete, I know you can delete with root or other methods but it was annoying. I had an AT&T logo on the back of my phone as well. When I broke my screen on my HTC One I had to send it in to them and pay $200 and no phone for a week, with Apple when I broke my 6 Plus screen I went to Apple Store and paid $79 and was out the door with new screen in 30 minutes. I had tougher time finding accessories and variety of cases and armbands than I did with iPhone as well, although I am sure this is much less of an issue these days with Galaxy line as it's gotten more popular. And lastly, it's much easier to sell an iPhone second hand and it holds its value better than most Android phones. I just sold my 6 Plus for $600 listed only for a couple hours on CL, and this was after the release of the S. It's the only reason I upgraded at full price.

The iPhone just WORKS. Software and hardware together. I loved widgets and customizing on Android, but it's tough for me to go back again. I am a sucker for screen quality though which is why I'm always tempted. I just LOVE a super sharp screen and drool when I see the S6 Edge in the store. So, while I'm iPhone for now I still am also an Android fan, and would consider switching in the future. Maybe when my daughter gets a cell phone and can message and call me without me having an iPhone, depending on the state of things at that time.

1. That right there will bring me back to iPhone in a few weeks. My daughter is 5. Facetime will be such a great benefit, now that she is grasping on to technology.

2. Actually false and true(true that later 2014 and up galaxy lines you can find). I recently just returned my trial (Note 3) and cases are scarce, I mean, some brands cancelled there Note 3 line. Even Ebay was low on cases, but that's just the note 3, and I was surprised. The 6+/6s+ phone is just to wide. The Note 3 was the perfect phablet that I wanted to try but i figured I would stick with Android and maybe get the HTC m9 because I know the Note 3 will soon lose support OS wise, but the last bold point in your quote reminded me.

3. It does, iOS just works. I am concerned tho, on the readings of the iPhone 6s battery life thus far. Anyways, good post.

Last edited:

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
I think that's odd then because if you are all about the camera the lumia had the best one imo.
When I bought my iPHone last year I did a Google search on 'best cell phone camera'. Only one listed the Lumia as best, all the others rated the iPhone. i don't like Apple and I don't like Windows but I had to pick one so I went with the majority.

TheMCTipers

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
I enjoy the note 5 camera more than the iphone 6s's camera. Its faster but the menu is ****. I also like the faster speed of the 6s on the os imo touchwiz kills the note 5.

faded03cobra

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I had the s6 then the note 5. Just switched to the 6s. No regrets. Also, had the iPhone 6. The s pen was quite nice though. FaceTime and iMessage were the factors

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
I really don't notice any difference between the S6 and the iPhone 6. I only use a handful of apps, Yahoo Weather, Audubon Bird Guide, Park my Car. Motel 6 and a few others. They are precisely the same on both phones so I just can't find five cents worth of difference between the two. Both are fast phones with no lag. The biggest advantage the S6 has is with the camera and the camera app is more robust.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The question here is simple. In a specs war ... Most Android phones win. However the 6s with its "measly" 2GB of RAM is outperforming almost every Samsung "flagship" device in single core benchmarks. It's no chump in multi core either considering the iPhone is "only" dual core.

The camera is only "12mp" however in all the camera comparisons I am reading on the internet it says that the 6s Plus is one of the best smartphone cameras ever... The images I have seen either compare to the s6's or are much better then that of the s6.

The OS has always been better on Apple which is why I have always stayed with the iPhone.

juice3250

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
I was on android for my first few years owning a smartphone. I ended up rooting them all and adding custom roms to get better performance and battery life. I gave all that up in May 2014 when I bought a 4 then quickly upgraded to the 5S. I had the 5S for a year then decided to give the Note 5 a try. I was in it for 3 1/2 days before I realized how much I missed the awesome battery life and simplicity of iOS. So I returned it and got the 6+. I couldn't be happier. I do sort of wish I would've given the Note 5 at least a week. I did love the camera but the battery drain on standby was super annoying. And android apps just aren't as polished as they are on iOS. I thought maybe that they would've gotten better in the year that I was on iOS. But I wasn't that impressed. In my opinion there's no good reason to shove a 2k screen in a smartphone. It chews through the battery like no one's business.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

there is some setting that controls that. it's not auto brightness. check the other settings, think it's face detection

slstein

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Well, I have a Note 5 , really like it ...but would like to get a 6s Plus and try it.
I have AT&T, with 3 lines for my kids with 6's and my Note 5, on a 4th line.
I'd like to get the 6s Plus on Apples upgrade program, and just switch sim cards with my Note 5.
AT&T Tech has told me each time I switch phones, I'll have to call Cust Sup each time to switch data plans.
Otherwise the data won't work properly.
AT&T Stores say not to worry it will work fine.
I've called Tech Sup 3-4 times and they've said the same thing each time...
Confused what to do????

Rbtrucking

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
I've been an avid note user since the note 2 and before that I owned the galaxies. I always thought the iPhone's were way too small but when the 6 plus came out I bought it and used it for a year. It was a really good phone I enjoyed it but when the note 5 came out I went back to Android.

I really have to say for all of you saying Samsung phones slow down after 2 months and all that I really don't see that especially with the note 5. Touchwiz is the fastest it's ever been. The one thing I will agree on is the 6 plus had better battery life but with the fast charging I really don't see it as that much of an issue.

My brother has the 6s and the screen on the note is far better as well as the camera. Overall I probably wouldn't go back to Apple this generation especially considering how the note now has the premium build quality. IPhone kind of got boring to me after a while which was the main reason I switched back. It's a great phone but simple, like I said the only thing I can say the iPhone clearly beats the note on is battery life but then it takes at least 3 hours to charge where the note can charge in an hour not to mention wireless charging.

Reactions: M5RahuL

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
I've been an avid note user since the note 2 and before that I owned the galaxies. I always thought the iPhone's were way too small but when the 6 plus came out I bought it and used it for a year. It was a really good phone I enjoyed it but when the note 5 came out I went back to Android.

I really have to say for all of you saying Samsung phones slow down after 2 months and all that I really don't see that especially with the note 5. Touchwiz is the fastest it's ever been. The one thing I will agree on is the 6 plus had better battery life but with the fast charging I really don't see it as that much of an issue.

My brother has the 6s and the screen on the note is far better as well as the camera. Overall I probably wouldn't go back to Apple this generation especially considering how the note now has the premium build quality. IPhone kind of got boring to me after a while which was the main reason I switched back. It's a great phone but simple, like I said the only thing I can say the iPhone clearly beats the note on is battery life but then it takes at least 3 hours to charge where the note can charge in an hour not to mention fast charging.
Besides the battery you also forgot to mention that the iPhone 6s clearly blows Samsung out of the freaking water for single core performance. And of course single core is all that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.