Anyone Considered going back to the 4 from 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Before you start bashing I am sure there are peeps with reasons as well as mine.

I bought the 4S mainly for the speed, camera, and dual antennas which should have given better performance.

My issues are based on some heavy use over the last 72 hours since I received my phone on 10-14.

Battery is really bad compared to my iPhone 4

Siri, not really useful to me

Network speeds are just a tad faster at best

Camera this so far is the only thing I give an A+ to

One issue I had was that if you hit the home button three times it activates voice over as a default, however things like this are annoying.

I have also lost contacts and photos when switching from MobileMe to iCloud, the transition after syncing my phone was not good, however not sure if anyone else shares my issues or you have others, or maybe you are 100% satisfied with your 4s.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Battery is really bad?

You calibrated it right?

And the voiceover home button option has nothing to do with the 4S. It would be the same on your 4.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Okay, "Heavy use for 72 hours".

Obviously the Battery is going to be bad. When You're heavingly using ANY phone, The battery life will suck. I've charged mine twice since Friday, When I havn't had too. With constant use. (GPS, Siri, Constant Texting, 3G, Facebook, Email, 30 Pictures)

When you're using it constantly, Obviously the battery will decrease.

4. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I am keeping it but if I wasn't getting good money for my 4 I wouldn't be so sure.

5. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I have found battery life to be excellent. I have been heavily using my 4S ever since I got it and it's been better than my 4 for the most part. I for one love Siri and have been using it for almost every major task. The voice dictation is also excellent; in fact I'm using it right now to write this entire post. However, if it's not working for you, then perhaps you might be better off keeping your upgrade eligibility and returning the 4S in favor of keeping your iPhone 4.

6. M33-1 macrumors member

With the Siri function (heavy network use) and location based reminders, the 4s is a BATTERY HOG!

There are many threads already on this. Quit being an Apple Fanboy.

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I ended up picking up a 64gb one today at the local att store.

I was mainly excited about the camera but its not worth the $400 upgrade

The phone is going back tomorrow. Siri is fun to toy with but the iphone4 is so good as it is, i decided to go back to it.

8. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

How do you properly calibrate it? Just let it drain, then fully charge it?

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

No comparison. Can never go back to my old iPhone 4 now. The camera alone is worth it for me. You add Siri and the extra speed, it's not even a consideration.

Your battery life is bad because the first few days of a new gadget, you are using it a lot more than usual.

10. Bakes7 macrumors newbie

Anyone thinking of doing this clearly didn't have the finances to make this a good decision in the first place.

11. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Or after getting hands on time with the 4S they decided it wasnt worth the upgrade?

12. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I just want to say, did you calibrate your battery? I've found battery to far exceed my iPhone 4!

13. meder87 macrumors regular

For me the 4S has been great. it took 2 days before I had to charge the phone. Camera is awesome as well as video recording. Apps open up faster. I get 3 or 4 bars of reception in my girlfriends apartment and her complex is pretty much in the woods. Shes on the bottom floor so its even worse. She has an iPhone 4 and gets no reception with Verizon.

Honestly if you were 2nd guessing about gettingnit you should waited or went to an Appple Store to try it.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

How did you do that? Because i'm having battery life issues.

15. zachimal macrumors member

Note that the battery life issue WILL be addressed. I was having the same problem, I reset the network settings as someone suggested and the battery life seems to be better.

If this doesn't help you, Apple will fix it soon or there will be a fix you'll find. This is a temporary flaw and not an in-built one like you'd find on crappy Android devices.

16. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You can get hands on time without purchasing the phone...

17. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Two days without charging? I highly doubt that. I found that Siri drains the battery super fast. Location based reminders also eat just as much battery as using a navigational gps app.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I deliberately passed on the 4S since it just doesn't appeal.

Yet that said I had no choice but to buy one when my wife's iPhone shattered when dropped.

Did a side by side test of the 4 & 4S this weekend. I'm not declaring one better than the other since I don't believe in the "Winner" BS that others use to validate their purchases. Nor do I have anyone to impress. I buy far too many phones to get attached to any of them.

The only platform that I _do_ have a preference for is in serious jeopardy, OS X. Hearing Apple declare the post PC era and reading the ancillary articles leads one to be concerned as we're already seeing, the dilution of the Mac OS by watering it down with iOS elements.

Back to the phones, those who are amused and entertained by the gimmicky Siri, buy the 4S. Those who use their iPhones for everything an iPhone does well and are not amused by talking tech gear, will save big by keeping their iPhone 4.

19. grovertdog macrumors regular

I just charged for the first time since Friday (2 days of heavy use), and I've been using this thing continually. WiFi is always on. Siri and I have developed a very deep and complex relationship and even my kids play with her. I've taken dozens of photos, etc... Haven't played with location reminders, tho.

Sorry you're having problems re battery life, but not everyone is... ;)

20. zachimal macrumors member

There are actually other reasons to buy the 4S than Siri, but even then, I wouldn't call Siri a gimmick or gimmicky. It is a serious feature that enhances usability and enjoyment of the device.

21. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I did, until I saw the speed difference. I already had gotten used to the 4S speed... Haha

22. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

For those who have been using the phone heavily since Friday without charging it (going two days without a charge) do you guys have Facebook installed? Is everything on (bluetooth, wifi, location services, etc)? That seems incredibly odd that you could be "continually" using the phone for two days and not have to charge it; it literally defies physics.. just saying.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This.

I pulled out the 4 to make sure there was nothing on it I missed, before wiping/selling it. Scrolling through the screens, scrolling contacts, email, etc., I was instantly reminding how much more of a silky smooth user experience the 4S is.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I would have passed on going from the 4 to the 4s, but my daughter had an upgrade on her line and was ecstatic with the hand me down 4, so I got the 4s and still have an upgrade next year for the 5!

25. churchrd macrumors member

You can configure the "triple click" here: Settings>General>Accessibility