Anyone ditching 13" rMBP for rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thadoggfather, Apr 14, 2015.

  1. thadoggfather macrumors G4


    Oct 1, 2007
    played with rmb at the store, liked it but wasn't wow'ed as much as i would have thought. perhaps my reservations about battery life, one usb-c for all, and core m (and TB since I'm probably one of 5 people ever to use a dock-- one that I got for cheap from ebay and find useful as an all in one for my desktop setup) have led to this. plus, not sure if i want to downsize from 13.3" but 12.5" sounds like it could be doable. Plus, devices are always different getting cozy with them at home and on the go vs. playing with at the store for 5 minutes.

    For people who have, what do you think? I just got my 2015 13" rMBP but it's still within return policy and will be sometime (45 days reward zone woo hoo).

    I would want another 10% coupon if I were to try it out, but maybe I'd like to see some rMB vs 13" rMBP comparison photos.

    Anyways, maybe thread not needed (probably not) but go ahead :)

    Coming from base 4/128 2011 13" Air for past 3.5 years before now taking the retina leap.
  2. TillysWily macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2011
    I sold my 13.3 rMBP yesterday and bought a rMB just waiting on it. I did it bc I travel a lot with the military and the most I use it for is facetime and writing papers for school online. Every now and then I do some video editing with GoPro so the rMBP was just to much for what I did. I just never used all it had to offer. So the rMB will be perfect for me. After looking at it in the store I was SOLD!!!
  3. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

    Snot Rox

    Sep 16, 2014
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm still sticking with my 13" rMBP. I played with it at the store and it may be just the display model, but there were some choppiness when opening/closing windows, using safari, and watching some youtube videos. I was going to see if I would be willing to replace my rMBP for more portability, but I will stick with my rMBP.
  4. newellj macrumors 604

    Oct 15, 2014
    Boston, MA, US
    I have thought about this a lot. Logically, it would make sense to sell my 13" rMBP. I'm just not ready to do that, though. The thing is that the things that it would do that the rMB won't do (or won't do well) are probably things I do on a desktop anyway, so selling the rMBP would potentially represent no loss of functionality at all. That's how the logic looks...not ready to take the leap...yet.
  5. doboy, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

    doboy macrumors 68020

    Jul 6, 2007
    I get what you're saying. I was eagerly waiting to buy one, but after seeing one in person I decided that rMBP was the right one for me so bought 2015 13" 256GB rMBP for $1237+tax at BBY after using 10% coupon and $50 EDU coupon. I won't be using the laptop outside my home so don't need that portability and would actually prefer 13" with more ports.
  6. 3bs macrumors 603


    May 20, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have a late 2013 13" rMBP that I'm going to keep for playing League of Legends and the rMB 1.3/512 which is coming May 8-14 is for everything else.

    If I see that the rMB is able to handle League fine then I'll probably make the full switch and give the 13" rMBP to a family member.
  7. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

    Aug 11, 2013
    I have an early 2011 13" MBP. Not a retina, but 16gb of ram, SSD, with an i7. There is no question that I'll be switching the the rMB, but what I haven't decided yet is if I'll wait for Skylake or not. I expect the Skylake version to be released later this year with significantly better performance. I don't think there will be any significant improvements to it for 2 years following Skylake, similar to the haswell model of the rMBP.
  8. Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Land of the Unexpected
    No Retina MacBook would be a secondary to 15" or 13" MBP Retina in the field.

  9. Geert76 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2014
    the Netherlands
    I am about to sell my 13inch MacBook Pro.

    I am just wondering if the new rMB can handle streaming HD mkv's (movies) via Beamer app to my Apple TV3.

    You think the new rMB can do this with hiccups? I have a solid 120Mb wifi line at home
  10. Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Land of the Unexpected
    Skylake Q-4 15 or Q1 16, I doubt any later.

  11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

    Jul 25, 2014

    im not gonna use my rmbp anymore after the macbook is delivered (yes, sadly mine didn't catch up on the plane, so i have to wait for tomorrow T_T). but i probably won't sell it, just keep in case sometimes i might still need it in some emergency. also, it makes a good home server too.

    performance wise, most thing i do is just browsing the web, working on some documents, and have some light matlab/r/sas coding from time to time. so i guess the performance of rmb will just serve me well.
    btw, i have a 5k imac for heavy duty tasks such as photo editing (though i only use auto-enhance lol)


    you can relax on that, i used to have some synology servers, they utilize low-end atom soc, and they can do 1080p software transcending just fine. though the cpu usage will sometimes raise to 70% and i was using plex, not sure about the difference between plea and beamer.
  12. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2014
    With my use case the rMB will be used in conjunction with the rMBP. I don't think either is meant to replace the other.

    However since you're talking coupons and returns I'm guessing there are budget constraints and you only get to keep one. If that's the case then there will always be compromises whichever you choose. Only you know your specific uses so it's only your opinion that counts.

    I think they're both great. The fact that you're asking means none of your uses disqualifies one or the other. You can flip a coin at this point.
  13. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

    Aug 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    And then Apple will take a while to cycle it out the door. I wouldn't count on getting a Skylake rMB before next spring. Remember that these processors were notionally released over six months ago.
  14. vanimal macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2014
    I went the opposite, after playing with the MBR in store Friday. IT was beautiful but too small for a bigger guy like me. I felt crammed on it with my big hands. You really notice that 1.3" screen difference, well at least me since its basically a 11" MBA footprint. I never have gone under a 13" Macbook size wise.

    I went and picked up a 2015 MBPR with the new trackpad yesterday for $1177 out the door with a movers coupon. That is CHEAPER than the MBR and more powerful in every way. I don't travel at all so i don't need the lightest possible laptop. In fact I'm still blown away how light the 2015 MBPR are for the power they house ;)

    I utilize the HDMI time to time on my 27" Asus monitor, as well as i currently plug the MBPR in to my 65" TV on the wall since I'm testing out the HBO Now 30 day trial.

    I NEVER watch movies on my laptop or Netflix or stuff like that. I always watch on my big TV's. And size wise for me, the MBPR is perfect!

    Im waiting on a V2 14" MBPR with skylake, than ill sell my MBPR :) Maybe...
  15. mattopotamus, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

    mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    I am going to return a 13" 2015 pro for the rMB. I do not need the power of the pro. The main selling point was actually the retina display. Now that I can get that in a much smaller form factor, why not.

    I pretty much use it in clamshell mode mon-fri for work, and travel with it on the weekends.

    I will have to compare them side by side though.
  16. Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Land of the Unexpected
    If I had to call it Q1 16, Apple will be keen for the new MacBook to gain traction and improved performance is a strong motivator. Intel is on track so no reason for Apple to delay, as you can be sure the competition wont.

  17. Geert76 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2014
    the Netherlands

    thanks for the helpful feedback! :)
  18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

    Oct 23, 2010
    I plan to get rid of my macbook after abut 2 weeks.
  19. sammyman macrumors 6502a

    Mar 21, 2005
    I'm letting go of my 2013 rMBP to go to the 12" rMB. When I realized the geek bench scores were similar, I decided abandon ship. I upgrade about every 2-3 years.
  20. vanimal macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2014
    Really WOW! The 2015 version you are speaking of? Aren't you still in the return time? I have a 30 day window with my MBPR from BB being a Elite rewards member. But so far i love my 2015 MBPR, sure the 12" MBR is nice but ultimately still too small for me. I would love a 14" version though :)
  21. robert109 macrumors member


    Jun 14, 2011
    I'm doing so since what I want is just the retina display.
  22. roncron macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2011
    I chose the 2015 13" rMBP over this 12" rMB for these reasons:

    - When I'm at home or work, I like to stay plugged into my charger, printer, external monitor, and powered speakers (through USB because they have a built in DAC).

    - The rMB is a first generation product. I love the 2013 and later MB Airs, but the first Air was underpowered with limited connectivity. I expect that, within a year or two, Apple will add a second USB-C port and a faster processor and the 12" MB will become a more viable option for me.

    - The rMBP at 3.5 pounds isn't too heavy for me to drag back and forth to school/work every day.

    - I value the larger screen of the 13" rMBP over the 12" MB.

    That said, everyone's needs and preferences are different, and my opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's.

    I have sometimes thought of this new MB as a larger iPad with a permanently attached keyboard. But reading other people's comments on this item makes me see that it is a really great and useful computer for educated computer users, not just a big iPad. (And I don't mean that as a slam against iPads - I have a 2013 iPad Mini Retina with external keyboard that I do serious work on.)
  23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    I am. I have a late-2013 13" rMBP and I will be getting the rMB. Mainly because I really value portability and I travel tons.
  24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

    Oct 23, 2010
    I meant my 2012 13" rMBP purchased brand new in March of 2013 sorry... I would prefer a 14" version of the 2015 MB. That would be the ultimate for me.
  25. mxidis88 macrumors member


    Jul 8, 2013
    SLC, UT
    I sold my 2014 rMBP 13", 8GB, 256GB about 3 weeks ago in anticipation of the rMB. I just got it today and I love it. I can definitely see a performance difference, but it doesn't hamper my workflow at all. It will take a little getting used to the trackpad/keyboard proximity as my thumbs and palms keep hitting the pad while I'm typing. I don't miss the performance of the rMBP as I rarely used my machine for heavy loads. I also have a 15" 2012 MBP sitting at home for any heavy tasks. This machine has completely changed what bag I need to carry with me for work though (IT).

    The speakers on this are perhaps the best I've heard from a mac and definitely from a computer of this size. The keyboard is probably one of my favorite things about the rMB. If they priced this machine appropriately ($1049) it would be a no brainer for a lot of people, but I don't mind paying the early adopter fee.

Share This Page