Anyone else annoyed by the camera bump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bzavala, Sep 21, 2016.

1. bzavala macrumors member

I love the new iPhone 7, love the matte black and the processor speed over all, and really don't mind about the headphone jack missing at all; but what is bothering me is the camera bump on the back. When I lay the iPhone flat on any surface and say, start typing something, the phone just rocks side to side. I don't remember that happening on the iPhone 6; maybe it wasn't as big as this one.

I guess I'll get used to it... bleh.

2. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

It's there and it's bigger than on the 6. No doubt about it.
    But on the other hand, I very gladly accept the bump if it's the price for that stunning picture quality. :)

3. ATC macrumors 6502a

I am not as bothered by the camera bump now as I first was, but I am still holding out hope that one day the iPhone will go back to a design without the bump, for the exact same reason you posted.

I love my iPhone naked and I do type on it while it's sitting on a flat surface quite often which is annoying to do now.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not me. Slipped it in the Sedio Surface case and it is nor slightly recessed

5. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Nah. We would not have the excellent camera inside of the phone if it was flush.

6. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Nope. Not any more than on my 6. Looks better at least.

7. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Not at all because I immediately put an Apple silicone case on it to protect the back from scratches and protect phone from general falls. I no longer go caseless on any phone since I accidentally dropped my 6 on concrete.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is the reason I did not buy the iPhone 7/7+.

I already have fugly with the 6s+. Double fugly because of that boil on the back of the phone is not something I am interested in.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Nope. I don't think I've ever typed anything on my phone with it lying flat on a surface... I hold it when I type.

I have a case on it, but even if I didn't, it wouldn't bother me.

Taking it to Epcot Food & Wine this weekend!

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Or you can put a case on it...problem solved, then.

11. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Do you personally believe this to be an important use case of iPhone?
    Do you personally believe this to be such an important use case that Apple should cripple their camera hardware to preserve the ability to put the iPhone flat on a desk and peck at it?

12. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

With the expectancy of a thinner phone and better camera most redesigns going forward I would expect this not to go away so if it's a problem for you now I guess future iPhones may be a problem for the foreseeable future. I don't think it's much of an eyesore at all. Pretty seamless with the design.

13. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

My iPhone 7 Plus lays perfectly flat when it's in a case.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

15. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

I didnt think the camera bump in pictures looked very good but with it in hand doesn't bother me. I actually think it looks better than the old 6/6s sharp edged camera bump now.

16. plexdk macrumors 6502

Get used to it. All phones have them, unless they are bricks ;)

17. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I went from a 6+ to 7+. The leather case I had just needed a little work with a razor blade to enlarge the camera hole. Fits perfectly and saved me from having to buy another case. The case is still a tad thicker than the camera bump so in practice the bump is irrelevant.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which would you rather have? A bigger bump with a better camera to boot and no distracting antenna lines, or a smaller bump with a worse camera and distracting antenna lines?

19. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Don't set it in hard surfaces like that. Bad for the finish of the phone anyway.

20. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I did the same thing to mine, at least until I find a replacement. I will say that the 7 and 7+ leather cases appear to be considerably nicer than the 6/6S ones.

21. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

When in the case the camera glass never touches a surface when you set it down because the camera bump is less than the thickness of even the Apple leather case.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I thought the camera bump on the iPhone 7 was more integrated into the casing? Wouldn't that actually make it less obtrusive than it was on the 6-series??

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but the camera is bigger so it still stands out. Nothing we can do unless you want a worse camera.

24. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

They could easily make it flush again. Just increase the overall thickness of the phone to be the same as the required length of the optical path of the cameras. Or, just use a much smaller camera with considerably less image quality. Simple-pimple!

Physics 101.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is Apple we're talking about.