Anyone else buying a car mount for their new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aevelasquez, Sep 14, 2014.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I've never been one for this kind of stuff, but my brother got one for his 5s a couple of months back and it caught my eye since I tend to use the GPS a lot and often don't know where to put my phone when driving, so I decided to buy one for the 6 Plus ahead of time.

I bought this one below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses both gel and suction that could stay mounted in a hurricane, a telescopic arm, can be dash or windshield mounted, rotates and tilts, clicks into hold your phone automatically when you put your phone in the cradle, and leaves all ports open for connection.

And it's got fantastic reviews to boot.

2. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I bought both the iOttie Easy One Touch 2 and the Easy One Touch XL for my Plus. I'll keep the one I like more :)

3. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at those both actually, are there any clear difference between the two?

4. cbronfman macrumors 6502

ProClip is solid and excellent

I have the ProClip for my iPhone 5S and I'll just have to replace the phone holder for the 6+. ProClip isn't ready for orders yet and my iPhone won't ship until mid October (despite ordering it 3 hours after launch ... ok, I didn't get up early to try). But that's what I'm planning to do.

5. yungskeeme macrumors regular

yungskeeme

I just bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L76XDUA?pc_redir=1409909342&robot_redir=1

6. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

Shape of the mount, the XL will hold a "larger" phone, and the clips that hold the phone are different. The Easy One Touch 2 is the newest one from iOttie. I figured I'd get both and just see the differences in person. From reading online, it's impossible to figure out which is best.

7. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the only real reason I went with the Easy One Touch 2 is that it was clearly marketed for the iPhone 6 Plus. Otherwise, I probably would have gotten them both too.

8. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

The XL will hold a phone slightly larger than the Easy One Touch 2. I think they're marketing the 2 because it's their newest mount (and also their most expensive.) I'm guessing from what I know, both will work just fine. I'll try them in my car and see which one I prefer. The both arrive tomorrow, so I'll report back which mount I prefer. From pictures, the XL looks like it'll hold the phone in "tighter." Because it has two bottom clips instead of one.

9. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

I get you, the only thing i'm iffy about is how the bottom ports will align with those two clips. Since they're not adjustable, it could block the lightning port, speaker, or headphone jack.

10. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I'm going to guess it'll block the headphone jack, and a portion of the speaker. I'm lucky, neither will affect me since my car has Bluetooth, and that's how I connect my iPhone to the car. As long as the lightning port is unobstructed, I'm okay. For you, if you absolutely have to have all three clear, then the 2 is probably your best (and only) option.

11. Dukat macrumors regular

12. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

13. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

The Kenu AirFrame is the best minimalist dock there is. I have one for each vehicle and they hold the phone steady...perfect. Already have a larger one out for the 6+

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

[​IMG]

14. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Great minds think alike OP. I got the same one two days ago. Should arrive the same day as my phone...only diff is I got the ip6.

15. dangerxtrem macrumors newbie

I believe the airframe from Kenu will work nicely with the iPhone 6!

16. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

agreed, had this one for a year and it has been great. Nice to keep the windshield 100% clear.

17. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Not buying one because I've had one that a love for quite a while. It sticks into the CD slot. It's very secure, and for a lot of cars, it puts it in a much better spot for good visibility.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9QE45U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By the warm there are some similar models that use a magnet, but I don't recommend them. Although the concept is cool, you have to out a thin piece of metal inside the case, and I found that it kept bending my cases slightly, letting dust in, and the dust eventually scratched my phone. The one above can be used with no case at all, and it's REALLY easy to out the phone in ir take it out one-handed still. I love it!

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I know the new iPhone is big, but I'm pretty sure you can't mount a car on it.

19. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

20. falkedup macrumors regular

iMagnet car mount. Best mount I've ever purchased. iMagnetmount.com

Attached Files:

21. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

i've used proclips for years now and have been very happy. i also have the kenu airframe that i use in rental cars when i travel for work. i like that one too but it grips so well that you almost have to take it off the vent to get the phone off. also, the phone is further back and really only at one angle, which makes it hard to see in the sun sometimes.

i like proclips because you can angle it however you like, easy in and out and it's closer to me. with the iPhone 5 i got the proclips universal mount and i'm hoping that will work for the iPhone 6.

proclips can be a little pricey for both the phone and car mount but i think it's totally worth it. really easy to see google maps or whatever else.

22. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

This work with iPhone 6+?

23. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My brother got this one (Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G1L52Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_EWNfub1P1QN0Q) for his 4S, and I've been looking at it for my 5. Not sure if it will work for the 6 or 6+, but it fits into your dashboard CD drive if you still have one. I think it puts your phone in a better position than adhesive or suction cup mounts.

24. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular