Anyone else considering canceling?

Anthony T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Last night I pre-ordered a 256GB iPhone X via T-Mobile Jump On Demand and laid out about $470 after taxes. This obviously doesn’t include the monthly installments of $24.

Something about paying this much for a phone just isn’t sitting right with me. I’m thinking of canceling but don’t want to regret doing it.

Anyone else?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Not me, but I thought about it and planned for it. It’s the right decision for me and how I use and upgrade my phones.

But yes, it’s a big outlay.

If you don’t feel right about it, cancel.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I wouldn’t be able to decide without trying out the phone. It is a lot for a phone...but if I want want the bigger screen in the smaller form factor then it has to be.

Reactions: zhandri

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Not me. I agreed to pay $870 for my prior phone. Paid off half of it. Now i'm going to agree to pay $1149 for the new phone, again I'll pay half of it. Depending on my mood for the particular year, I will either trade in using AT&T's next program and don't worry about having to sell, or I'll pay it off and sell it 3rd party to get an extra $70-200 in my pocket depending on how much I can sell the product for. I budget for this expense every year, and it's one of my hobbies. Just like someone budgets for pets, or car parts (hobbyists), or art related things. I spend money on things that I will enjoy, and a new iPhone every year I will enjoy. The price per month has increased by $10/mo for me. I spend more than that on sillier things every other day... like coffee or crap of the local convenience store before work.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Last night I pre-ordered a 256GB iPhone X via T-Mobile Jump On Demand and laid out about $470 after taxes. This obviously doesn’t include the monthly installments of $24.

Something about paying this much for a phone just isn’t sitting right with me. I’m thinking of canceling but don’t want to regret doing it.

Anyone else?
That was idiotic, why would you put that much of a down payment on a lease? You're going to be out that $400 when you upgrade in 6 or 12 months.

The whole point of JOD is to upgrade when you want, putting anything for a down payment is stupid with that program.

Reactions: notsodarling02

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

Anyone else?
I am just curious, doesn't tmobile have an iPhone annual upgrade program for $0 down? Maybe try that and see if they can help you out.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I’m not considering canceling but I am considering returning it. I want to see the reviews next week, and also dropping $1,250 bugs me a little. Admittedly I wouldn’t have much problem spending more on an X Plus next year, which is also making me think about waiting.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I was originally going to move on from X if I couldn't get it on time, but I got in with 11/17-23. I won't lie. I have mixed feelings about. I will try it out before I buy a case and screen protector. What got me into x...haha...is that animoji. :D and that face ID. But when I think about, I asked myself, "how does this improve my life/productivity?"

At least I'll try it for some amount of days. At least I can speak on it after a week trial. If not impressed, then I can return it. What really kills me with iphones is the software. If the software isn't truly optimized for hardware then it wouldn't excite me. For example, I have 6 plus with ios 11. Whenever I turn from portrait mode to landscape mode, it takes about 5-7 seconds to turn. Now, if the ios11 can at least optimize the older device like 6 plus and make some improvements on certain things (not all) , such as turning real quick...sure I would be happy with x.

EDIT: iphone 6 plus is dying quick with battery and I have to hurry up and make my final decision.

Reactions: Starfyre

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
You can always return it. But if your very uncomfortable, cancel and that will give you time to sort things out.

The delay now with shipping would be a plus.

Reactions: Chris916

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The thing I'm confused about is why anybody at this point would consider cancelling after they've made their order due to an immediate regret. It's not like this was a spur of the moment surprise purchase. We've known for a month and a half that this phone was on the way, and had that entire time to make the decision to purchase or not based on our budgets and/or personal needs.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
$1,500 for a phone, case and Apple care. Yeah I am conflicted. I can afford it for sure but my 7+ is a great phone. I’ve owned every iPhone from the 3G but not it just seems insane spend that kind of cash on a phone!!!

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
That was idiotic, why would you put that much of a down payment on a lease? You're going to be out that $400 when you upgrade in 6 or 12 months.

The whole point of JOD is to upgrade when you want, putting anything for a down payment is stupid with that program.
Not to be nitpicky, but I feel like “lease” is the wrong word here

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I’m happy with my 7plus and not upgrading until next year, but cost really isn’t the issue for me (I’m just happy with my phone)

I don’t cringe at the idea of paying $1200 next year because this is a product I get a ridiculous amount of use out of. No other product in my life gets used as much as my phone, so when I think about value and whether it’s worth it, HELL YEAH IT IS

I am fully willing to pay top dollar for good technology that enhances my life.